Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old May 28, 2013, 07:12 AM   #1
Atomant669
macrumors member

Possible to turn on iPhone 5 without power button?

Help urgent. I turned off my iphone 5 using assist to reboot it but now I'm unable to turn it on cause my power button is not working. Is there a way to turn on the phone without using the power button?

I know my phone is in good working order just the power button is not working. Someone please help me!
Atomant669 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2013, 07:18 AM   #2
maflynn

Ifs its off, then there's no way to turn it on w/o the power button. If the screen is off, then connecting it to your computer may wake it back up but as I said if you're in the middle of a reboot sequence and now the power button is not functioning then your SOL
Old May 28, 2013, 07:21 AM   #3
Gav2k
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by maflynn View Post
Ifs its off, then there's no way to turn it on w/o the power button. If the screen is off, then connecting it to your computer may wake it back up but as I said if you're in the middle of a reboot sequence and now the power button is not functioning then your SOL
Not true.

Plugging it into a power source will cause it to boot up
Gav2k is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2013, 07:26 AM   #4
maflynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gav2k View Post
Not true.

Even if the battery isn't depleted? I know it will if the battery is dead but if the battery is not exhausted?

Edit: Just tried it myself - I stand corrected. Plugging it into the computer or a power source will work

Sorry for the mis-information
Old May 28, 2013, 07:31 AM   #5
Gav2k
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by maflynn View Post
Even if the battery isn't depleted? I know it will if the battery is dead but if the battery is not exhausted?

Edit: Just tried it myself - I stand corrected. Plugging it into the computer or a power source will work

Sorry for the mis-information
Yep that annoying thing that people all moan about having to power there phone off at night after plugging the power in is actually a bypass feature
Gav2k is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2013, 07:42 AM   #6
Atomant669
macrumors member

So what am I suppose to do now? Just plug it into a power source will turn it back up? I'm outside now so I can only try it later but I need to turn that phone on ASAP!
Old May 28, 2013, 07:57 AM   #7
Ste Nova
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomant669 View Post
So what am I suppose to do now? Just plug it into a power source will turn it back up? I'm outside now so I can only try it later but I need to turn that phone on ASAP!
ask everyone you see who owns a car and an iphone if you can plug it in
Old May 28, 2013, 09:44 AM   #8
Atomant669
macrumors member

Ok guys i just plug it in and it turns back up!!!! Thanks guys!!! I was at the verge of a mental breakdown.
Old May 28, 2013, 10:40 AM   #9
Ste Nova
macrumors 6502

maybe you should take it and get it fixed
Old Sep 16, 2013, 05:19 AM   #10
farheen
macrumors newbie

please help

I have a similar problem.. I have been trying to switch on my iPhone 5 by plugging it in, I also tried to connect it to iTunes.. but the phone is not turning on.. Guys please help, its urgent..

----------

Quote:
Not true.

Hi.. Even I was trying to reboot my iphone 5 by pressing the home and power buttons simultaneously. The phone got off, but it is not turning on because of power button failure. I connected my phone to itunes, as well as i connected to the power source, but it is not switching on.. What should i do..?
farheen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2013, 05:22 AM   #11
Gav2k
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by farheen View Post
I have a similar problem.. I have been trying to switch on my iPhone 5 by plugging it in, I also tried to connect it to iTunes.. but the phone is not turning on.. Guys please help, its urgent..

----------

Hi.. Even I was trying to reboot my iphone 5 by pressing the home and power buttons simultaneously. The phone got off, but it is not turning on because of power button failure. I connected my phone to itunes, as well as i connected to the power source, but it is not switching on.. What should i do..?
Plug it in and leave it. iOS won't boot till there is enough charge to complete a boot to stop the os becoming corrupt.
Gav2k is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2013, 05:29 AM   #12
farheen
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Plug it in and leave it. iOS won't boot till there is enough charge to complete a boot to stop the os becoming corrupt.
ok i hope it would work.. but do u know approximately how much time it needs..? or how much battery charge it requires..?
Old Sep 16, 2013, 05:33 AM   #13
Gav2k
macrumors 601

Quote:
ok i hope it would work.. but do u know approximately how much time it needs..? or how much battery charge it requires..?
3% and it could take upto an hour using the iPhone charger a bit less with the larger ipad charger. Depleting the battery completely is bad for it hence the long pull back time. Once it does boot it'll charge normally
Gav2k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2013, 05:39 AM   #14
farheen
macrumors newbie

Quote:
3% and it could take upto an hour using the iPhone charger a bit less with the larger ipad charger. Depleting the battery completely is bad for it hence the long pull back time. Once it does boot it'll charge normally
But when i was trying to reboot it, it already had more than 3% of battery.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 05:42 AM   #15
Gav2k
macrumors 601

Quote:
But when i was trying to reboot it, it already had more than 3% of battery.
The battery indicator is just a rough guide. Many things effect the battery temperature being the biggest factor. Just leave it plugged in. If it fails to boot after an hour you'll need to goto apple
Gav2k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2013, 05:44 AM   #16
billycuth
macrumors 6502a

Once it's on there shouldn't be a way to turn it off unless it runs out of battery, one would assume.

I'd get it fixed if I were you.
billycuth is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2013, 05:51 AM   #17
farheen
macrumors newbie

Quote:
The battery indicator is just a rough guide. Many things effect the battery temperature being the biggest factor. Just leave it plugged in. If it fails to boot after an hour you'll need to goto apple
alright thanks a lot for the info.. (:
Just one more question.. If it does not reboot, is there any way for me to save the data..? because i have not backed up the phone since long, n i have important data inside the phone..

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by billycuth View Post
Once it's on there shouldn't be a way to turn it off unless it runs out of battery, one would assume.

I'd get it fixed if I were you.
the left side of my power button used to work, and the right side was too hard. so i pressed left side n home button, which turned off the phone, but it is not getting on now. I will get it fixed, but i just want it to turn on once atleast so that i can take a back up..
Old Sep 16, 2013, 06:41 AM   #18
braddick
macrumors 68040

^
You still had to purposely slide to turn off once you had the power button engaged.
braddick is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2013, 09:13 AM   #19
farheen
macrumors newbie

is anyone of you aware of the tinyumbrella software..? my phone is still under the warranty period.. should i use tiny umbrella to restore my iphone instead of itunes so that i dont lose any data, or will it cancel my warranty..?

----------

anyways guys thanks for the comments n ur help.. my phone has started without losing any data, using the tiny umbrella software.. now the first thing i ll do is back up my phone, n then get it fixed from apple.. thanks once again guys, specially gav2k.. (:

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone