Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old May 28, 2013, 10:14 AM   #1
tshrimp
macrumors 6502

Question for our Liberal posters.

As we know this board is majority liberal, with a few conservatives sprinkled in here and there.

With that said, do the liberals on this forum prefer to post in boards with like minded individuals, or do many of you also visit more conservative message boards as well?

I ask this because I like to get views from both sides, so tend to post on both, but actually prefer to post on forums with opposing views.

What about you?

Last edited by tshrimp; May 28, 2013 at 10:27 AM.
tshrimp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2013, 10:52 AM   #2
mcrain
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshrimp View Post
As we know this board is majority liberal, with a few conservatives sprinkled in here and there.

With that said, do the liberals on this forum prefer to post in boards with like minded individuals, or do many of you also visit more conservative message boards as well?

I ask this because I like to get views from both sides, so tend to post on both, but actually prefer to post on forums with opposing views.

What about you?
I like posting where there are intelligent arguments on both sides. Most of the conservatives who engage in typical conservative board liberal bashing end up gone in short order, so we are left with the occassional conservative who tries to keep up with the more reasoned arguments of posters they like to call "liberal."
mcrain is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2013, 10:56 AM   #3
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

What's a liberal? Seems to me that it's anyone who disagrees with a conservative.
Old May 28, 2013, 10:57 AM   #4
Michael Goff
macrumors 68040

Quote:

What about you?
I like intelligent discussion, regardless of what they believe.
Old May 28, 2013, 10:58 AM   #5
tshrimp
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdowns View Post
What's a liberal? Seems to me that it's anyone who disagrees with a conservative.
Yes...that would normally be the case as Liberals and Conservatives most often have opposing viewpoints.
tshrimp is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2013, 11:01 AM   #6
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Quote:
Yes...that would normally be the case as Liberals and Conservatives most often have opposing viewpoints.
To answer your question, I read and post on another more right leaning forum. I don't consider myself a liberal, I'm more anti-Republican as they are nowhere near the party I used to support.
Old May 28, 2013, 11:03 AM   #7
samiwas
macrumors 65816

Quote:

What about you?
I am quite liberal, and started to get bored here, and thought I would find a more conservative-leaning board to see other views and have a little more "vibrant" discussion. It's on a website called city-data.com and they have a board much like this one. What I found wasn't just a view from the other side, it was almost psychotic. Everyone seems so damn angry and acts like their entire world is crashing down around them, and of course they blame Obama and "low-information liberals" for their demise.

One example comes from last night. The topic was about employers and their part in the economy still being down. Someone barked about Obama and how he wants to kill the small businessman with his $200k tax bracket. I just responded that they could maybe set up their business so that they don't personally get hit with that. What I got in response was being called an idiot, moron, stupid, and a host of others I can't even remember. I was going to copy and paste it here, but the post was taken down by this morning.

But, it's not unusual there. A liberal viewpoint is usually met with extreme name calling, insults, and other angry behavior. And it's a moderated board.

If that's the typical conservative board, I'll stick with ones like this.

The funnier part is that most of their prolific posters who tell liberals that they need to get a life and whatnot average some 40-70 posts per day.

Last edited by samiwas; May 28, 2013 at 11:11 AM.
samiwas is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2013, 11:22 AM   #8
VulchR
macrumors 68000

I post in here and only occasionally on the BBC's news web site. I come to MR to read about Apple technology (and to some extent competitor's technology), and because I find people here to be helpful on the whole when troubleshooting. I started looking at PRSI when I noticed many of the issues I care about are discussed here, usually in an informative way. It doesn't matter to me that people have opposing views to mine (e.g., I do not see the second Iraq war as the result of some sort of conspiracy to grab oil and get rich, and that makes my view a minority one).

The one thing that does annoy me is the tendency for people who here to believe political views fall on one continuum from conservative to liberal. My views cannot be boiled down to that.
Old May 28, 2013, 12:05 PM   #9
vrDrew
macrumors 65816

Quote:
I can't speak for anyone else (liberal, conservative, or apolitical.) But this has been my experience:

A while ago I spent some time posting on a couple of conservative-leaning forums. But I fairly quickly gave it up as poor investment of my time. I realized, very early on, that I was never, ever, going to change anybody's mind about anything. And that rather than having a discussion of issues and viewpoints, it seemed (to me at least) as an "intellectual race to the bottom" in terms of who could come up with the most incendiary, scurrilous and absurd conspiracy theory. But more importantly, I began to realize that simply by participating I was playing the part of a troll.

Maybe not intentionally, but the simple fact of my posting there inevitably led to a storm of outraged comments. And more than once or twice I asked myself if I wasn't, in some perverse way, enjoying the outrage my (to my mind seemingly reasoned) arguments inspired.

Thats not who I want to be. So I quit going there, and never looked back.

It seems to be a peculiarly American construct that one should necessarily consider "both sides of the issue." IMHO, the more I learn about history, politics, and even science - the more I begin to realize that this is a poor policy. Are there really two legitimate sides to a discussion about, for example, slavery or genocide? Should we waste time listening to the arguments of those who believe the world is flat or that the Universe was created a few thousand years ago?

Rather than hedging your bets by listening to both sides of the argument, spend your time seeking out the Truth, wherever on the political spectrum it may lay.
vrDrew is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2013, 12:19 PM   #10
Sydde
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulchR View Post
The one thing that does annoy me is the tendency for people who here to believe political views fall on one continuum from conservative to liberal. My views cannot be boiled down to that.
Indeed, if you disagree with me on some significant point of [insert divisive issue here], you must be one of them, so next time we engage on some other issue, I will expect to clash with you. All those people who cannot pick one side or the other and stick with it are characterized as milquetoasty fence-sitters.

In the end, reality appears to have a slight "liberal" bias.
Old May 28, 2013, 12:20 PM   #11
quagmire
macrumors 603

I like to consider myself a moderate democrat.

I don't mind discussing issues with a person having an opposing viewpoint, but I will not be involved in a conversation like most topics here have turned into and a BMW board I frequent that is staunchly conservative. I find most of these discussions to be uncivil. Anyone who is deemed to be on one side or the other is automatically labeled a liberal or conservative. And it isn't a label used just to say how far left or right they are. Those labels are used to be derogatory.

What I have observed is that the republican members here in the minority tend to be more combative. It's the same at the BMW board. The democrat members who are in the minority there are more combative.

That's probably due to the fact the majorities gang up to berate the minorities viewpoints.
quagmire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2013, 04:33 PM   #12
.Andy
macrumors 68030

Quote:
The board is international. The peculiar ideologies that american's self-identify as conservative or Libertarian or liberal don't necessarily hold fast in other countries. As much as you'd like to break it all down to a two team competition the people you call liberal would likely hold some fairly conservative views in their home country.
Old May 28, 2013, 04:39 PM   #13
Sydde
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Andy View Post
The board is international. The peculiar ideologies that american's self-identify as conservative or Libertarian or liberal don't necessarily hold fast in other countries. As much as you'd like to break it all down to a two team competition the people you call liberal would likely hold some fairly conservative views in their home country.
Oh, there you go bringing the international thing into it. Now we get to hear about how Agenda 21 is the path to one-world-government tyranny. Pardon me while I try to stuff these worms back into this can …
Old May 28, 2013, 04:49 PM   #14
AhmedFaisal

<snip>

Last edited by AhmedFaisal; Nov 16, 2013 at 06:27 PM.
  1 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2013, 11:53 PM   #15
dec.
macrumors 6502a

tshrimp, you're amazingly brave to visit these forums knowing what you have to endure. Big pat on the shoulder and a warm, gay bear hug.

What's your liveleak nick?
Old May 29, 2013, 07:44 AM   #16
MuddyPaws1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas View Post
I am quite liberal, and started to get bored here, and thought I would find a more conservative-leaning board to see other views and have a little more "vibrant" discussion. It's on a website called city-data.com and they have a board much like this one. What I found wasn't just a view from the other side, it was almost psychotic. Everyone seems so damn angry and acts like their entire world is crashing down around them, and of course they blame Obama and "low-information liberals" for their demise.
Wow...that sounds EXACTLY how it was on here when Bush was in office. Go figure.
MuddyPaws1 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2013, 09:10 AM   #17
samiwas
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyPaws1 View Post
Wow...that sounds EXACTLY how it was on here when Bush was in office. Go figure.
So people on this board were literally calling other posters idiots, morons, stupid, ignorant, a disgrace to America, better dead than conservative, etc? Or were you just referring to the Obama ruining their world part?

Question: Your join date is July 2012...have you been going back in the archives to see how this board was five or more years ago? I wasn't even on PRSI then.
Old May 29, 2013, 09:16 AM   #18
Huntn
macrumors 604

Regarding the OP, I've spent many years on another forum that seemed to be dominated by conservatives and after a while I became fatigued because I knew if I posted something that was moderate, it was still left of their sensibilities and I'd get the standard conservative knee jerk responses, really just mindless counter talking points. I'm taking a break from that forum at this time.

What I'm looking for are a variety of views and when disagreements occur, reasonable arguments are put forth, not BS.
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2013, 10:17 AM   #19
iMikeT
macrumors 68020

To answer the main question......

I personally enjoy getting into intelligent debates with people from both sides of the isle. However, I've learned not to contribute to conservative boards due to the futility of it.
iMikeT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2013, 10:21 AM   #20
lannister80
macrumors 6502

I basically enjoy arguing, so I stay away from sites that are too echo chamber-y.

I do enjoy being on the winning side, though, so I stay away from Red State, etc (plus, they'll ban you if you don't toe the party line).
Old May 29, 2013, 10:59 AM   #21
Happybunny
macrumors 65816

I would never be considered a liberal in my own country. I am considered a middle of the road, D66. But of course we have 22 political parties, and proportional representation voting. Radical politics is kept to a minimum.

I joined this forum to get information/help about Apple products. I stayed in the back ground for about a year before I registered.

PRSI forum I was very interested to hear about other ideas that are so different to what I consider the normal way of doing things.

I also find that this forum helps with my written English, which over the years had become a bit rusty.

I do not think that I would ever venture onto a real right wing blog.
Old May 29, 2013, 11:02 AM   #22
GermanyChris
Banned

He's got a cool Jeep!!not that that thats relevant
GermanyChris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2013, 11:23 AM   #23
barkomatic
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas View Post

One example comes from last night. The topic was about employers and their part in the economy still being down. Someone barked about Obama and how he wants to kill the small businessman with his $200k tax bracket. I just responded that they could maybe set up their business so that they don't personally get hit with that. What I got in response was being called an idiot, moron, stupid, and a host of others I can't even remember. I was going to copy and paste it here, but the post was taken down by this morning.

But, it's not unusual there. A liberal viewpoint is usually met with extreme name calling, insults, and other angry behavior. And it's a moderated board.

If that's the typical conservative board, I'll stick with ones like this.

The funnier part is that most of their prolific posters who tell liberals that they need to get a life and whatnot average some 40-70 posts per day.
I'm also on city data, and you hit the nail on the head in your assessment. No one is interested in really discussing any issue at all. The entire point of the political discussions are solely to insult the other side--and it seems that the most aggressive posters there are conservative. It's unbelievable how irrationally angry people are on that board. If it weren't for the moderators, I'm positive there would frequent death threats and those wanting people with different opinions to be executed. It's that bad.

I feel that some have been incited by some of the more extreme TV pundits because I repeatedly read the same talking points over and over again--whether they are appropriate to the topic or not.
barkomatic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2013, 11:38 AM   #24
zioxide
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrDrew View Post
It seems to be a peculiarly American construct that one should necessarily consider "both sides of the issue." IMHO, the more I learn about history, politics, and even science - the more I begin to realize that this is a poor policy. Are there really two legitimate sides to a discussion about, for example, slavery or genocide? Should we waste time listening to the arguments of those who believe the world is flat or that the Universe was created a few thousand years ago?

Rather than hedging your bets by listening to both sides of the argument, spend your time seeking out the Truth, wherever on the political spectrum it may lay.
This. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Trying to break things down into two opposing viewpoints just doesn't work most of the time. Most of the issues are much more complicated than that and have many more than just two legitimate sides to the discussion. (ie guns: Some people want them banned, some want no restrictions, and most want a wide variety of different types of regulation)

And some issues (ie. slavery, civil rights, marriage equality) only have one side of the issue that's right, and that's the side that believes in equality for all. On an issue like that, anyone who doesn't believe that everyone deserves the same civil rights and equal treatment under the law is just wrong, no matter what excuse they try to use. Plain and simple.
zioxide is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2013, 01:55 PM   #25
maflynn

[MOD NOTE]
Lets stay on topic, everyone should be aware this is not the place to discuss specific moderation and in this case the disposition of a member.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues