Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old May 28, 2013, 02:18 PM   #1
satcomer
macrumors 68040

Reason not to shop at Walmart

Well it happened in my backyard, Father says he was suspected of kidnapping his own kids. Proof Racism hits both ways these days.
satcomer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2013, 02:25 PM   #2
mcrain
Banned

Shouldn't this be a reason to shop at Walmart? I would think any parent would like an establishment that stopped any suspicious adult male attempting to leave with kids that don't look like him.
mcrain is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2013, 02:39 PM   #3
Sydde
macrumors 68000

Is there a reason to shop at walmart?
Old May 28, 2013, 02:40 PM   #4
bradl
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by satcomer View Post
Well it happened in my backyard, Father says he was suspected of kidnapping his own kids. Proof Racism hits both ways these days.
How funny (read: interesting), and ironic.

Funny, that this should happen at a Walmart, but then again, what crazy **** doesn't happen at Walmart?

Ironic, that this should happen in the same state where Loving v. Virginia started, and it was in the same situation (White male, Black female). You would think that people would know better.... I'll keep my mouth shut on that.

As for them saying that they will never shop at Walmart again, I don't blame them. As the father of interracial children and married to my wife, I understand totally what they are going through. Too bad some people can't see past their own ignorance, and more than that, too bad Walmart can't see past defending it.

BL.

Last edited by bradl; May 28, 2013 at 02:53 PM.
bradl is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2013, 07:02 AM   #5
Arran
macrumors 68000

Some would say shopping at Walmart is a criminal act.
Old May 29, 2013, 07:41 AM   #6
SMDBill
macrumors 6502

Regardless of the article, WalMart is always my last resort.
SMDBill is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2013, 08:34 AM   #7
Tomorrow
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arran View Post
Some would say shopping at Walmart is a criminal act.
Who says this, and why?
Old May 29, 2013, 08:51 AM   #8
edk99
macrumors 6502a

Dammed if you do, dammed if you don't.

Now a days people are told to say something if something looks suspicious. So this security guard said something and now people are outraged at him. If the kids were kidnapped the security guard would be the next Charles Ramsey.
edk99 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2013, 09:14 AM   #9
TheAppleFairy
macrumors 6502a

I think it's rare to see a white male with black children. I think that if the kids were acting normal around the guy, and not trying to get away or something of the sort I can't see stopping him.

I think if the cards were reversed, and it was a white woman with black children she would not have been stopped. This is something we see more often.

I am a white male with Asian children and I don't think anyone has ever second guessed me being the father while out. Maybe people think adoption if I am not with my wife.
TheAppleFairy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2013, 09:23 AM   #10
Huntn
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by satcomer View Post
If there is a reason not to shop at Walmart it would be better than this one (maybe their good ole boy sexist ways or their tendency to treat their employees like indentured servants ).

Someone in Walmart made a poor decision, because when you look at parents and kids, usually there is no ID for the children and the only real attribute you have to go on would be are the children willingly with the adult. When you go through airport security on a domestic flight with a child there is no requirement for a child's ID. (International is different where a passport would be required.)
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2013, 09:45 AM   #11
Tomorrow
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntn View Post
When you go through airport security on a domestic flight with a child there is no requirement for a child's ID.
As an aside, we had to produce my son's birth certificate when we flew from Dallas to Corpus Christi. He was 5 at the time.
Old May 29, 2013, 09:57 AM   #12
Huntn
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomorrow View Post
As an aside, we had to produce my son's birth certificate when we flew from Dallas to Corpus Christi. He was 5 at the time.
Wow. I don't know how to respond to that. We've been flying our 12 year old Grandson around on domestic flights since he was 2 and have never been asked to show ID. I don't get it. I wonder if the rules have changed recently?
Old May 29, 2013, 10:07 AM   #13
vrDrew
macrumors 65816

I have a pretty hard time blaming Wal-Mart for the actions of the Security guard.

And while his calling the police in this instance shows a certain lack of racial sensitivity, I don't think he was motivated by malice. Stupidity - Yes. Racism - Maybe. Evil - No.
vrDrew is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2013, 10:09 AM   #14
bradl
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Wow. I don't know how to respond to that. We've been flying our 12 year old Grandson around on domestic flights since he was 2 and have never been asked to show ID. I don't get it. I wonder if the rules have changed recently?
It has. You need to at least have birth certificate on hand, as that would be the only form of ID available for the child; at least that is for those under 5.

BL.
bradl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2013, 11:26 AM   #15
djjclark
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradl View Post
It has. You need to at least have birth certificate on hand, as that would be the only form of ID available for the child; at least that is for those under 5.

BL.
Source? There are only 3 age related identifications requirements that I am aware of - infant under 2 flying free, child under 12 flying on a reduced fare and unaccompanied minors all of which are airline requirements and not TSA requirements. TSA specifically requires ID for those over 18 (I can see issue of 16 year old having to prove they are not 18).

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-informat...eling-children
http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/acceptable-ids
Old May 29, 2013, 12:55 PM   #16
thehustleman
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydde View Post
Yes

1. They employ millions of people and pay them more than competitors
2. They buy produce from local sources
3. Each store has a 2 million dollar charity budget annually. It's given to football teams schools, and many other charitable causes
4. They are cheap. Things you would pay 40 bucks for are only 23 etc.
5. Taxes going into the local economy
6. Businesses around them flourish. A new Walmart popped up around here and business has been booming for the local places
7. It's is one of only 2 employers I've ever had that WILL NOT allow you to work off the clock. It's illegal, but other employers almost insist you do
8. It's convenient. Everything is in one place. Buy a TV, groceries, new cell phone, all in one place.
9. They price match. Even when you find a lower price, they price match
10. If you ever have a customer service problem (you will eventually if not often depending on the location) complain to home office and get a 25$ gift card

Walmart isn't perfect by any means, but nowhere near as bad as the media makes it out to be.
thehustleman is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2013, 01:03 PM   #17
Huntn
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehustleman View Post
Yes

1. They employ millions of people and pay them more than competitors
2. They buy produce from local sources
3. Each store has a 2 million dollar charity budget annually. It's given to football teams schools, and many other charitable causes
4. They are cheap. Things you would pay 40 bucks for are only 23 etc.
5. Taxes going into the local economy
6. Businesses around them flourish. A new Walmart popped up around here and business has been booming for the local places
7. It's is one of only 2 employers I've ever had that WILL NOT allow you to work off the clock. It's illegal, but other employers almost insist you do
8. It's convenient. Everything is in one place. Buy a TV, groceries, new cell phone, all in one place.
9. They price match. Even when you find a lower price, they price match
10. If you ever have a customer service problem (you will eventually if not often depending on the location) complain to home office and get a 25$ gift card

Walmart isn't perfect by any means, but nowhere near as bad as the media makes it out to be.
Oh, so they are no longer pressuring U.S. manufacturers who want a Walmart presence to move their operations overseas so they can cut prices for their customers?
Old May 29, 2013, 01:09 PM   #18
TheAppleFairy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Oh, so they are no longer pressuring U.S. manufacturers who want a Walmart presence to move their operations overseas so they can cut prices for their customers?
Those evil low prices suck don't they?

Apple manufacturers their products in China, but I guess that's OK since they sell at high prices.
TheAppleFairy is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2013, 01:20 PM   #19
bradl
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by djjclark View Post
Source? There are only 3 age related identifications requirements that I am aware of - infant under 2 flying free, child under 12 flying on a reduced fare and unaccompanied minors all of which are airline requirements and not TSA requirements. TSA specifically requires ID for those over 18 (I can see issue of 16 year old having to prove they are not 18).

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-informat...eling-children
http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/acceptable-ids
Hate to say it, but no source. Very bad personal experience. TSA asked for IDs for my 3 year old and 15 month old daughter, even though she was a lap child.

Not an airline policy, but "TSA policy" (read: a crock of ****). I pointed out the exact URL you mentioned above and explained that it wasn't needed, and was given lip for it. Made a complaint about it to the TSA, and barely made the flight.

this is one of the things that made me want to get back to working on a PPL, so I won't have to worry about this crap again.

BL.
Old May 29, 2013, 01:37 PM   #20
Sydde
macrumors 68000

Quote:
... <snip> ...

Curious, then, that it gets such extreme enmity. Most of the information I have seen is contradictory to much of what you have asserted. The truth must obviously be somewhere in between.

Never been in one, myself, see no reason to.
Old May 29, 2013, 01:59 PM   #21
thehustleman
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Curious, then, that it gets such extreme enmity. Most of the information I have seen is contradictory to much of what you have asserted. The truth must obviously be somewhere in between.

Never been in one, myself, see no reason to.
Whenever you're on top of your field and more successful than your peers people will say all types of negativity to bring you down.

Media helps with that.

Look at Samsung, they're on top, now suddenly it's a huge anti Samsung movement and suddenly plastic phones have become bad.

Look at Apple, even the government is after them

Look at Michael Jackson, top of the music industry and everything bad that could be said was printed about him.

There's even a myth that the majority of Walmart employees are on food stamps, that's a lie as when I worked there and applied, i was told that I made too much money to receive them.

There are many single parents that work there yet still can't get food stamps

They say Walmart doesn't have benefits, anther fallacy. My wife receives them and I'm covered under them since it's cheaper than my job.

Some even said target pays better, yet many target employees are leaving to work at walmart for raises in some cases as high as 2.50 per hour.

My point is don't believe every thing you hear.
thehustleman is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2013, 02:06 PM   #22
localoid
macrumors 68020

Quote:
... My point is don't believe every thing you hear.
My ultra-low opinion of Walmart isn't based on anything I've heard. It's based on actual buying/shopping experiences I had the misfortune of experiencing first-hand @ Walmart.
Old May 29, 2013, 02:07 PM   #23
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Quote:

There's even a myth that the majority of Walmart employees are on food stamps, that's a lie as when I worked there and applied, i was told that I made too much money to receive them.

Yes, your situation is the same as tens of thousands of others.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...ees-medicaid-/

http://www.goodjobsfirst.org/corpora...taxpayer-costs
Old May 29, 2013, 02:08 PM   #24
bradl
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Walmart Employee Fired for Saving Puppy

Walmart Employee Fired for Stopping Shoplifter

Gaspar v. Walmart Stores (Walmart employee fired for turning pictures of abused child over to Police)

Equal Employment Opportunity Commission Sues Wal-Mart for Sexual Harassment, Retaliation and Disability Discrimination (this after an employee complained about being sexually harassed multiple times; Walmart did nothing to stop it, then fired the employee)

Two of these incidents happened where I lived. If you want to blame the media, by all means make them your scapegoat. but if the EEOC and Courts get involved, that should tell you that there is are problems at Walmart, and they are doing nothing to resolve them.

Personally, one word handles my problems with Walmart, especially when I need sundries: Target.

BL.
Old May 29, 2013, 02:11 PM   #25
maxosx
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Steve Jobs seemed to think so. Apple's (then) highly worshiped leader was quick to put a deal together to feature Apple's finest products in a store that has a litany of issues.

Simply speaking for myself, there's no way I would shop in Walmart. Period.
maxosx is offline   2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues