Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

googleplus.jpg
Google has updated its Google+ for iOS app to version 4.4.0, most notably adding new photo editing and organizational features. The app has gained a an Auto Enhance mode for improving photos with a single tap, along with Auto Backup, Auto Awesome, and Auto Highlight features. With Auto Highlight, Google+ users can view an array of photos that are automatically selected as the best of a particular batch of uploaded photos.

As announced during the Google I/O conference two weeks ago, Google's video chat feature Hangouts has been moved to a standalone app. The Google+ update adds a one-touch access button for Hangouts.

A number of other small improvements to the mobile Google+ experience have been added, including additional profile fields and cover photo uploads, the ability to find content via hashtags, and interactive Google Offer posts.
- New Google+ Photos features keep photos organized and looking their best
*Make your photos look even better with Auto Enhance
*Browse highlights from all your photos
*Share short animations, panoramas, and more
- Hangouts has moved to its own app for messaging and video calls
- Discover interesting content via related hashtags
- Ability to edit more profile fields and upload a cover photo
- New interactive Google Offer posts in the stream
- Control how often What's Hot posts appear in your stream
- Support for displaying strikethrough text
- Ability to edit comments
- Ability to copy the post's permalink
Google+ for iOS can be downloaded for free from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Google+ for iOS Updated with Auto Enhance, Interactive Google Offers

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Meanwhile, only two of my friends posted anything on Google+ within the last 30 months.

JGIGS

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
CANADA!
The only way Google + would ever work is if they buy facebook which I'm sure is not for sale. Google got into the game way to late on this one. People aren't going to make the switch at this point because they can't bring everyone with them in one giant leap.

Google hangouts keeps telling me I have no connection so not loving that either.

If osx could bring in sms integration into messages on my mac that could possibly make me an ios/person for life.

Even better release iMessage and facetime cross platform including PC?

Game over.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
The only way Google + would ever work is if they buy facebook which I'm sure is not for sale. Google got into the game way to late on this one. People aren't going to make the switch at this point because they can't bring everyone with them in one giant leap.

The main problem with Google+ is that it merely strives to be a better Facebook. And while Google+ maybe superior to Facebook in many ways, they are mostly minor advancements at best.

I would like to rewind back to 2004, when Google launched Gmail. It offered then staggering 1 GB storage per user (back when competitors offered few MB of storage), vastly superior spam filters, and extremely efficient and clean UI (by 2004 standard).

Google either needs to go back to the drawing board or just call it a quit.

b0fh

macrumors regular
May 14, 2012
Warning: May contain tumble weed.

Misguided hate. There's plenty of content on G+, in fact, more than on FB. Even if you don't like them, there's no need to bring in fake stuff to hate (something which a hell of a lot of fandroids on G+ tend to do. Jeez, that drives me nuts!) :mad:

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008

True, but the biggest problem for me is the data.

I don't like Google knowing so much about me.

I'm not particularly happy with Facebook knowing so much about me, but at least when they're segregated it stops them building a more complete profile of you.

The reason I'm so unhappy with them knowing so much is the way that Big Data gets used. Even today, it's used to make highly personal things like hiring decisions by companies wanting everything to be statistics-based. It's used to decide which TV shows get made and which don't, which actors get which parts and which storylines they'll use. Like it or not, those decisions shape our culture.

Statistics and data where always used in this way, but because they were so limited in their data-gathering ability they were always fairly unreliable. Leaving a margin of error in there meant that a human being had to make the call at the end of the day. With invisible data-gathering techniques and massive computational power, people are developing so much confidence in Big Data that they're skipping that vital step and letting machines take enormous decisions that shape our world, our culture and our daily lives.

I believe that human beings make better decisions than machines. Machines can crunch numbers and tell you historical data, but they can only make superficial decisions.

P.S. When I say "invisible data-gathering techniques", I mean that the product (e.g. Facebook) has ulterior motives. "I'm just sharing links with my friends, what do you mean Facebook is using that information to determine where I have probably lived, worked and went to school? Which restaurants or movies I like and what my political views are?" Similarly with Google+ - people are going to think they're just uploading and enhancing their photos; actually Google is going to be collecting lots of data from this or they wouldn't bother.

We're creatures that came from the jungle. Even if you explain what is going on, most people can't quite grasp the enormity of what is going on.

Last edited:

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
I don't know a single person who uses Google+. I've tried it before, didn't particularly like the experience, but even If I did it's kind of pointless If there's nobody using it..

I actually also hate Facebook to be honest, but thats the only way I can keep in touch with everyone I know..

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
Maybe Google+ is a ghost town for most people, but it still has one of the best mobile apps for iOS (no sarcasm intended).

Mums

Suspended
Oct 4, 2011
What makes me resent Google Plus is that they basically force you to join, post, and comply if you want to have any kind of search presence. The interface remains austere and soulless no matter how many times they alter it.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
You guys are obviously using G+ wrong, especially if you're using it like Facebook. :p

It's better when you find people that have your same interests. I use it to follow photographers. I have so much quality content that I can't get on Facebook. In fact, Facebook content as become trailer trash for me. I love I can interact with people i don't know on G+ and get ideas and conversations. It's a much better experience.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Misguided hate. There's plenty of content on G+, in fact, more than on FB. Even if you don't like them, there's no need to bring in fake stuff to hate (something which a hell of a lot of fandroids on G+ tend to do. Jeez, that drives me nuts!) :mad:

Oh chill out, learn to take a joke.

For what its worth I dont 'hate' G+, I just have no use for it (not a social network fan). I use Google products every day. Take your own misguided hatred elsewhere.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Thanks Google!

We should all be thanking Google for offering a helping hand to Apple.

They could have kept Google+ all for themselves, offering it only on their own platform, but instead, they have allowed Apple owners to benefit from their amazing tech.

If not for Google, where the heck would Apple be now? Would they even have gotten the iPhone off the ground had Google not contributed Maps and Search and YouTube to Apple's fledgling project?

Thanks, Google!

phillytim

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
I wonder why we STILL cannot save photos to our camera roll yet, in Google+.

----------

Because Google makes sooo much money off the use of it's apps on iOS! Why do you think Google wasted little time in bringing Google Maps to iOS after Apple replaced it with their own Maps.

Google is more than happy to keep its apps on iOS for that very reason.

They could have kept Google+ all for themselves, offering it only on their own platform, but instead, they have allowed Apple owners to benefit from their amazing tech.

If not for Google, where the heck would Apple be now? Would they even have gotten the iPhone off the ground had Google not contributed Maps and Search and YouTube to Apple's fledgling project?

Thanks, Google!

dec.

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
Toronto

Thanks, Google!

Lol- you must be pretty stupid if you believe that google is doing it to be nice to apple users, it's almost as idiotic as to say that apple is being nice to windows users by offering iTunes to them. But then on your planet.. Who knows :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.