Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 28, 2013, 05:22 PM   #1
Chodite
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Baltimore, MD
Can't seem to get Notifications working on Android (Galaxy S4)

While I'm just about fully converted from iOS Land, one thing frustrating me is Notifications on my new S4. Twitter, FB mentions, FB Page Manager and even text messages are my biggest gripes. Inconsistency is my main issue. Sometimes Twitter mentions will appear in my notifications bar, sometimes they won't. Notifications are enabled in each of these apps.

Another related issue: how in the blue hell can I get these notifications to appear on my lock screen when the screen is not turned on?! I can't, for the life of me, figure this out. The biggest issue being text messages. I'm mainly sticking with GO SMS Pro as my default texting app, and again - inconsistency when it comes to being alerted to new messages, specifically when the screen is turned off.

Am I the only one with this issue? Any help is much appreciated.
__________________
Galaxy Note 3 (in love) . Galaxy S4 (farewell). iPhone 5. iPad 3 . Macbook Pro . a couple of Apple TVs . lots o' iPods ...and still no freakin' AAPL stock!
Chodite is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2013, 07:34 PM   #2
Assault
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: in the taint
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chodite View Post
While I'm just about fully converted from iOS Land, one thing frustrating me is Notifications on my new S4. Twitter, FB mentions, FB Page Manager and even text messages are my biggest gripes. Inconsistency is my main issue. Sometimes Twitter mentions will appear in my notifications bar, sometimes they won't. Notifications are enabled in each of these apps.

Another related issue: how in the blue hell can I get these notifications to appear on my lock screen when the screen is not turned on?! I can't, for the life of me, figure this out. The biggest issue being text messages. I'm mainly sticking with GO SMS Pro as my default texting app, and again - inconsistency when it comes to being alerted to new messages, specifically when the screen is turned off.

Am I the only one with this issue? Any help is much appreciated.
With the screen turned off and on stock firmware, you will only be able to get the led notification light. For information about sms, email, upcoming calendar events, download Dashclock from the play store. This will go onto your lockscreen, so a quick tap of the home button will give you the info you want.

As for various app settings and notifications, Touchwiz is probably overriding app tones and notifications, which means you need to use TW settings only or turn off TW notificatiins and let the apps do their thing.
This is why I hate TW and only use custom roms. Samsung suck at software.
Assault is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2013, 07:37 PM   #3
adder7712
macrumors 68000
 
adder7712's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Anywhere
Notifications don't appear on the lockscreen, only on the notifications pull-down.
__________________
Custom PC (Windows 8.1), MacBook Aluminium (OS X Mavericks), iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S III
adder7712 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2013, 08:10 PM   #4
Chodite
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Baltimore, MD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Assault View Post
With the screen turned off and on stock firmware, you will only be able to get the led notification light. For information about sms, email, upcoming calendar events, download Dashclock from the play store. This will go onto your lockscreen, so a quick tap of the home button will give you the info you want.

As for various app settings and notifications, Touchwiz is probably overriding app tones and notifications, which means you need to use TW settings only or turn off TW notificatiins and let the apps do their thing.
This is why I hate TW and only use custom roms. Samsung suck at software.
Just installed Dashclock. Thanks for the tip!

And yeah, I'm loving Nova Prime launcher over Touchwiz. Really hate how the phone maker and the OS aren't just one, ya know? Spoiled by Apple in that regard.
__________________
Galaxy Note 3 (in love) . Galaxy S4 (farewell). iPhone 5. iPad 3 . Macbook Pro . a couple of Apple TVs . lots o' iPods ...and still no freakin' AAPL stock!
Chodite is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2013, 06:55 PM   #5
Chodite
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Baltimore, MD
Another question about Notifications. I've got Go SMS Pro as my default texting app. I get the notification that I've received a message. I usually then just Clear All on the Notifications screen or manually swipe the message to remove it from the Notifications page. I still continue to get notifications for the same message. Do I need to manually open the message to stop these notifications?
__________________
Galaxy Note 3 (in love) . Galaxy S4 (farewell). iPhone 5. iPad 3 . Macbook Pro . a couple of Apple TVs . lots o' iPods ...and still no freakin' AAPL stock!
Chodite is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2013, 07:06 PM   #6
3bs
macrumors 603
 
3bs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Dublin, Ireland
NiLS Notifications Lock Screen is also worth checking out in the Play Store.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed.png
Views:	240
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	414288  
3bs is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2013, 07:08 PM   #7
walie
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
You probably have go sms set for repeat notifications
walie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2013, 07:19 PM   #8
tbayrgs
macrumors 68030
 
tbayrgs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Tampa, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chodite View Post
Another question about Notifications. I've got Go SMS Pro as my default texting app. I get the notification that I've received a message. I usually then just Clear All on the Notifications screen or manually swipe the message to remove it from the Notifications page. I still continue to get notifications for the same message. Do I need to manually open the message to stop these notifications?
Quote:
Originally Posted by walie View Post
You probably have go sms set for repeat notifications
I've had the same problem with Go SMS. I do have repeat notifications set but that should only apply to unread messages, and even then, it's inconsistent--sometimes I clear the notification without reading the actual message in app and it doesn't repeat, other times it does. Same goes for actually reading the message in app--sometimes that ends the notification, other times it doesn't. I cannot see a consistent pattern but still use it over the stock Messaging app due to the MMS size restrictions in the stock app (300kb limit, really?).

Messaging is still an area of weakness for Android that needs vast improvement. And if Shadow Puppy replies with a suggestion to use Hangouts I'm going to virtual smack him upside the head.
tbayrgs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2013, 07:20 PM   #9
Assault
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: in the taint
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chodite View Post
Another question about Notifications. I've got Go SMS Pro as my default texting app. I get the notification that I've received a message. I usually then just Clear All on the Notifications screen or manually swipe the message to remove it from the Notifications page. I still continue to get notifications for the same message. Do I need to manually open the message to stop these notifications?
Im not a fan of all the Go Launcher/SMS/crapola stuff. Google Voice or now Hangouts is a universal texting/video chat Google service that stays with your Google account, so it is always available to you when you upgrade phones, use a computer, need to review an old chat session, etc. An integrated API is always better than relying on a 3rd party API... IMO anyway. I use Google's services for everything I can.
Assault is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2013, 07:25 PM   #10
tbayrgs
macrumors 68030
 
tbayrgs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Tampa, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Assault View Post
Im not a fan of all the Go Launcher/SMS/crapola stuff. Google Voice or now Hangouts is a universal texting/video chat Google service that stays with your Google account, so it is always available to you when you upgrade phones, use a computer, need to review an old chat session, etc. An integrated API is always better than relying on a 3rd party API... IMO anyway. I use Google's services for everything I can.
, beat Shadow Puppy to it...

Sorry but not a viable replacement until Hangouts integrates SMS messaging.
tbayrgs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2013, 08:12 PM   #11
LIVEFRMNYC
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3bs View Post
NiLS Notifications Lock Screen is also worth checking out in the Play Store.
That disables some S4 features like Smart Stay.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-05-29 20.49.23.png
Views:	114
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	414303  
LIVEFRMNYC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2013, 09:29 PM   #12
Assault
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: in the taint
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbayrgs View Post
, beat Shadow Puppy to it...

Sorry but not a viable replacement until Hangouts integrates SMS messaging.
Don't know who shadow puppy is, but what do you mean Hangouts doesn't have integrated SMS? I text with it every day. I don't get what you mean?
Assault is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2013, 01:23 AM   #13
3bs
macrumors 603
 
3bs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIVEFRMNYC View Post
That disables some S4 features like Smart Stay.
I use CM on my S4 anyway
3bs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2013, 05:59 AM   #14
tbayrgs
macrumors 68030
 
tbayrgs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Tampa, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Assault View Post
Don't know who shadow puppy is, but what do you mean Hangouts doesn't have integrated SMS? I text with it every day. I don't get what you mean?
So I can message anyone in my contacts list (regardless if they have a google account) and if it's unable to send the message via Hangouts it will send them an SMS text automatically instead? If so, I stand corrected.
tbayrgs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2013, 09:40 AM   #15
Chodite
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Baltimore, MD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbayrgs View Post
So I can message anyone in my contacts list (regardless if they have a google account) and if it's unable to send the message via Hangouts it will send them an SMS text automatically instead? If so, I stand corrected.
I'd LOVE confirmation of this...
__________________
Galaxy Note 3 (in love) . Galaxy S4 (farewell). iPhone 5. iPad 3 . Macbook Pro . a couple of Apple TVs . lots o' iPods ...and still no freakin' AAPL stock!
Chodite is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2013, 10:29 AM   #16
tbayrgs
macrumors 68030
 
tbayrgs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Tampa, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chodite View Post
I'd LOVE confirmation of this...
I'm pretty certain we know the answer to this, just curious how he's going to reply.
tbayrgs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2013, 12:19 PM   #17
The Game 161
macrumors 68040
 
The Game 161's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chodite View Post
While I'm just about fully converted from iOS Land, one thing frustrating me is Notifications on my new S4. Twitter, FB mentions, FB Page Manager and even text messages are my biggest gripes. Inconsistency is my main issue. Sometimes Twitter mentions will appear in my notifications bar, sometimes they won't. Notifications are enabled in each of these apps.

Another related issue: how in the blue hell can I get these notifications to appear on my lock screen when the screen is not turned on?! I can't, for the life of me, figure this out. The biggest issue being text messages. I'm mainly sticking with GO SMS Pro as my default texting app, and again - inconsistency when it comes to being alerted to new messages, specifically when the screen is turned off.

Am I the only one with this issue? Any help is much appreciated.
Download notification lockcreen widget

You get all what you want on your lock screen..it's very good
The Game 161 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2014, 12:18 PM   #18
Dam1991
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Galaxy note I717

Dear Admin,

I have problem with my phone. I want to customize toggle in notification panel.

I go setting -> Device -> Display ..... but not found notification panel.
What can I do?

Click image for larger version

Name:	1939681_717929111580596_326935777_n.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	465101

Thank you and best regards,
Dam1991
Dam1991 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2014, 03:11 PM   #19
xraydoc
macrumors Demi-God
 
xraydoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Top left corner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Assault View Post
Don't know who shadow puppy is, but what do you mean Hangouts doesn't have integrated SMS? I text with it every day. I don't get what you mean?
I'm thinking he means like Apple's iMessage, where the app is smart enough to know when to send a message as SMS or when to send as a Google Hangouts message based on looking up the phone number in Google's database.

Hangouts may have some of this functionality now, but is not as fully integrated as Apple's implementation.
xraydoc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2014, 04:47 PM   #20
khha4113
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam1991 View Post
Dear Admin,

I have problem with my phone. I want to customize toggle in notification panel.

I go setting -> Device -> Display ..... but not found notification panel.
What can I do?

Attachment 465101

Thank you and best regards,
Dam1991
On my GS4, the 'Notification Panel' is above 'Auto-rotation screen' option. It's on the section 'General'.

khha4113 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2014, 11:05 PM   #21
Dam1991
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by khha4113 View Post
On my GS4, the 'Notification Panel' is above 'Auto-rotation screen' option. It's on the section 'General'.

Image

But in General there is only wallpaper
How can i do it?
Dam1991 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2014, 11:41 AM   #22
hovscorpion12
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by adder7712 View Post
Notifications don't appear on the lockscreen, only on the notifications pull-down.
With Android 4.3. you can see all notifications on lock screen and install Google play apps that will take it further.
hovscorpion12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2014, 06:01 PM   #23
khha4113
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam1991 View Post
But in General there is only wallpaper
How can i do it?
Can you 'long press' on the button you want to change to see it can be moved. I used to do that on my old S2 (I think) to show which one I want to see first when I open notification panel.
khha4113 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2014, 09:31 PM   #24
fsession16
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
black bootcut jeans for women

Oh yeah yes. I have got ordered components in Fsession and i also was pleased. I had ordered other shop but no shop made me felt satisfied before. Then my not many good friends said make an effort with www.fsession.com Plus I genuinely happy. Bargain-priced asking price, the quality is superb. Mind-set care of Fsession is fairly enormously great. In addition to the important and vital: The fashions at Fsession are quite good-looking with cool type. I become these products on-time or earlier than some time I purchased.

If only in the past I realized Fsession sooner to have good choice in my situation.

But you, I do think in addition, you need with Fsession as i am.

______________________________________

black bootcut jeans for women
fsession16 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
When will galaxy note 8.0 get android 4.2.2? The Game 161 Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 2 Jun 11, 2013 12:13 AM
How do notifications work on galaxy phones? The Game 161 Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 6 Jan 24, 2013 02:47 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:30 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC