Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old May 28, 2013, 07:59 PM   #1
roundthecircle
Banned

New Life to Beige G3

Greetings all, happy to be back. I have been reading for a long time but my old account was associated with my Juno email, who uses that anymore? Needless to say, I created a new one to post!

Anyhow, I have a functional beige G3 in great shape. G3 233 with the original 32mb of RAM and very little yellowing. I'm undecided on what to do with it, I think it might be powerful enough to host maybe an apache setup or postfix but I also know it will run OS X if upgraded.

I am the family geek and have a cisco small business router with PTP vpn to my fathers and sisters to host files and so that i can remote desktop to them if needed. I think it would be neat to build a website as well for the family.

What is the best use for this machine folks? I also have a display, two now. I don't know the model, it has the speakers to each side of the display and the door to the bottom but is slightly more yellowed.

Regards,

M
roundthecircle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2013, 11:30 PM   #2
Dhack21
macrumors newbie

I would use it for classic games, escape velocity and warcraft 2 I love those beige g3's do you have the desktop or the mini tower??

Sent from my Lumia using Board Express
Dhack21 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2013, 11:30 PM   #3
Lil Chillbil
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundthecircle View Post
Greetings all, happy to be back. I have been reading for a long time but my old account was associated with my Juno email, who uses that anymore? Needless to say, I created a new one to post!

Anyhow, I have a functional beige G3 in great shape. G3 233 with the original 32mb of RAM and very little yellowing. I'm undecided on what to do with it, I think it might be powerful enough to host maybe an apache setup or postfix but I also know it will run OS X if upgraded.

I am the family geek and have a cisco small business router with PTP vpn to my fathers and sisters to host files and so that i can remote desktop to them if needed. I think it would be neat to build a website as well for the family.

What is the best use for this machine folks? I also have a display, two now. I don't know the model, it has the speakers to each side of the display and the door to the bottom but is slightly more yellowed.

Regards,

M
I am assuming that this is an all in one molar I think they are called correct me if I am wrong.

I believe that the max ram for this machine is 768mb which I don't even think that a beige can really use all of that much ram

Last edited by Lil Chillbil; May 29, 2013 at 12:12 PM.
Lil Chillbil is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2013, 01:05 AM   #4
666sheep
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Chillbil View Post
I belive that the max ram for this machine is 128mb which isn't very much for os x
You believe too much instead of knowing.
768 is max for Beige.
666sheep is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2013, 01:13 AM   #5
Lil Chillbil
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666sheep View Post
You believe too much instead of knowing.
768 is max for Beige.
Thankyou for correcting me, I haven't seen these things in person nor cared much about them to study up on specs and that
Old May 29, 2013, 08:32 AM   #6
Goftrey
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Chillbil View Post
Thankyou for correcting me, I haven't seen these things in person nor cared much about them to study up on specs and that
So why post information that you know you're not 100% on?
Old May 29, 2013, 12:11 PM   #7
Lil Chillbil
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goftrey View Post
So why post information that you know you're not 100% on?
several reasons

#1 because I felt like it
#2 because I was pretty damn sure it wouldn't hurt nothing if I was wrong
#3 I am also pretty damn sure that nobody even takes me seriously anymore after the zen.state war of 012.
Old May 29, 2013, 01:57 PM   #8
tdbmoss
macrumors member

You can usually get OS X up to 10.4 Tiger running on these quite easily, though you'll want the full 768 MB memory and a reasonable graphics card like a Radeon as the built-in graphics on them is useless for OS X. A reasonably new hard drive will also increase performance as it will be a lot faster than the original one which will be 15+ years old now.

If you drop in a G4 processor (500 MHz and 1 GHz Sonnet ones are available) you can also run 10.5 Leopard on them though it's a bit of work to get it running.

Alternatively they make a good OS 9.2 machine if you've already got other machines for OS X. Or you can try out interesting operating systems like OS X Server 1.0/1.2 and the OS X DPs/Public Beta as they are all compatible with this machine.

Your display sounds like one of the old Apple CRTs - you can also use a modern "PC" LCD with them with the right adapter for the built-in graphics, or directly if you get a Radeon as they a VGA port.
tdbmoss is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs