Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

montycat

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 19, 2007
Florida
I have an AT&T unlimited data plan. Lately I have been able to FaceTime without Wi-Fi using LTE. Has AT&T change the policy for limited data plan and FaceTime. I've searched the forums for an answer to this but I guess I missed something. I can't see AT&T doing this:eek:

montycat

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 19, 2007
Florida
Yes it's been changed. Essentially, they don't want to lose a lawsuit.

For the record, there's a thread on this already. :)

Thanks lordofthereef! That's great news! I didn't see the other thread. I think I'll keep my unlimited date plan now:D

Jleroy

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2010
Santa Rosa, CA
I have an AT&T unlimited data plan. Lately I have been able to FaceTime without Wi-Fi using LTE. Has AT&T change the policy for limited data plan and FaceTime. I've searched the forums for an answer to this but I guess I missed something. I can't see AT&T doing this:eek:

Yes. I thought they were teasing again but my family plan is grandfathered unlimited that I've hung onto just for this reason. Finally paid off.

montycat

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 19, 2007
Florida
Yes. I thought they were teasing again but my family plan is grandfathered unlimited that I've hung onto just for this reason. Finally paid off.

I was hanging on for the same reason. I'm a huge user of FaceTime. It's great to use this feature unlimited when I'm away from wifi.

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
Just discovered it this morning. Very psyched. Anyone know how long this has been possible?

Last edited by a moderator:

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
I've hit almost 7gb two months in a row, and no throttle or message. But you are right. There is always the risk of a throttle.

Yeah, it's hit-or-miss with AT&T. Before LTE, I would routinely go over the 2GB limit and was only throttled once (wasn't notified, but was definitely throttled). Since LTE, I haven't come close to 5GB, but it's nice to know they're not strict about enforcement.

frito1224

macrumors regular
May 3, 2011
oklahoma
----------

[/COLOR]

We all know it's not truly unlimited since they throttle at 5GB. I still have to monitor my usage to make sure I don't go over.[/QUOTE]

You can get around the throttling if you have another smartphone thats not an iphone just put it on your account for a few hours call att have them change the data plan to LTE unlimited for smartphones call them back in a few hours change everything back and then no more throttling

Sorry if the post looks screwed up did it from my iphone don't think it worked right

vahighland

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2009
Atlanta
Is this only available for iPhone 5? I have an iPhone 4s with unlimited, but I can't turn on the Use Cellular Data message without getting prompted to call At&t

Sweet! I can actually start using Facetime on a regular basis!!! Although.. I probably won't anyway, because a) my adoption period has passed (i.e. it's hard to start using a feature once you've already received it and then decided to not use), and b) it's not cross platform so that greatly limits my options, and c) the people who do have iPhone's don't have unlimited data....

pooleman

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
Sweet! I can actually start using Facetime on a regular basis!!! Although.. I probably won't anyway, because a) my adoption period has passed (i.e. it's hard to start using a feature once you've already received it and then decided to not use), and b) it's not cross platform so that greatly limits my options, and c) the people who do have iPhone's don't have unlimited data....

What's the adoption period?

What's the adoption period?

Realistically I'd say it's a few months. And what I mean by that is, whenever there is a new feature (say FaceTime, Siri, Apple Maps, etc), people will generally try it for a small period of time (few months) and decide if they like it or not. If they don't like it, they'll stop using it entirely. Once that happens it'll take a huge force to overcome that inertia of indifference.

For example, I really, really tried to use Siri, but it just annoyed me too frequently by long waits/down servers, so I stopped. Maybe it's improved, but I don't know. but it will take something really compelling to get me interested in it again.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Yeah, it's hit-or-miss with AT&T. Before LTE, I would routinely go over the 2GB limit and was only throttled once (wasn't notified, but was definitely throttled). Since LTE, I haven't come close to 5GB, but it's nice to know they're not strict about enforcement.

On one hand, it is nice. On the other, I wish I understood how they decide to enforce. I live in a big city, so the population density idea is out the window. Not complaining though. The only reason I have been hitting these numbers is because I literally started doing everything off of wifi as a test to see what throttled LTE would be like. Most months I am not even hitting 2GB because I have wifi at home, work, and the gym. My data is all GPS use (obviously minimal) and music streaming while in the car. Even the train has AT&T wifi.

----------

I think AT&T came to the conclusion that the potential stress on their network caused by the relatively few people holding on to this plan is going to be so minimal that it's not even worth dealing with the complainers. You make some very good points; I haven't really cared to use facetime on cellular either. As mentioned above, I have wifi almost everywhere but the car (where facetime is an obviously terrible idea) and I have facetimed maybe three times since its inception.

moonman239

Cancelled
Mar 27, 2009
Is this only available for iPhone 5? I have an iPhone 4s with unlimited, but I can't turn on the Use Cellular Data message without getting prompted to call At&t

Maybe people on tiered data plans don't use FaceTime as often as people on unlimited data plans would. That could be why it's not working for you. Or maybe the feature hasn't been turned on in your area yet.

babens

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2012

I believe it's only available on the LTE network, which would explain why you can't enable the feature on the 4S

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I believe it's only available on the LTE network, which would explain why you can't enable the feature on the 4S

From what I have read, they will be rolling it out for the previous models of iPhone in the coming months. Right now it only works on iPhone 5, but it will still work will on HSPA/+ on the iPhone 5.

NikeTalk

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2010
Thanks MR, didn't realize they had turned on this feature. Don't use it everyday but nice to know I can whenever i'm out!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.