Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old May 28, 2013, 10:00 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Tim Cook at D11: Wearables Are 'Incredibly Interesting', Nothing Great on the Market

At this year's annual All Things Digital conference hosted by AllThingsD, Walt Mossberg and Kara Swisher asked Apple CEO Tim Cook about wearable devices, such as Apple's much rumored smart watch, which has been dubbed the "iWatch."

Tim Cook mentioned that he found wearables to be "incredibly interesting" and went on to say that it could be a "profound area." Cook himself is equipped with a Nike Fuelband, but believes that there's nothing "great" on the market, and that wearables are an area "ripe for exploration."

The Pebble smart watch
Of course, when pressed on whether Apple will be developing a wearable device, Cook declined to answer, though he did hint that it was an important area of potential development, and that while both glasses and watches had drawbacks, the wrist was "natural."
Quote:
There's nothing that's going to convince a kid who has never worn glasses or a band or a watch or whatever to wear one. Or at least I haven't seen it. So I think there's lots of things to solve in this space, but it's an area where it's ripe for exploration, it's ripe for us all getting excited about. I think there will be tons of companies playing in this.

I see it as another very key branch of the tree.

I think from a mainstream point of view [glasses] are difficult to see. I think the wrist is interesting. I'm wearing this (Nike Fuelband) on my wrist, it's somewhat natural. But as I said before, I think for something to work here, you first have to convince people it's so incredible that they want to wear it.
With the growing popularity of smart watches like the Pebble, the Jawbone UP, and the Nike Fuelband, rumors about Apple's own smart watch have ramped up in recent months. Most recently, reliable KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo predicted that Apple's rumored iWatch will debut in the second half of 2014.

The watch, which will integrate with Apple's existing mobile lineup, is expected to feature a 1.5-2.0 inch display. The New York Times has suggested that Apple is experimenting with curved glass, and according to a February report from Bloomberg, Apple has a team of 100 product designers working on the smart watch.

MacRumors has full coverage of the interview with more of Tim Cook's comments on the iWatch.

Article Link: Tim Cook at D11: Wearables Are 'Incredibly Interesting', Nothing Great on the Market
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2013, 10:06 PM   #2
spyguy10709
macrumors 6502a

I'd be so for a WELL DONE iWatch.

Please Apple, get this right. I really want something like an "always-on" notification center so I don't have to keep pulling out my phone.

So far, it seems like Apple doesn't want to rush it for a "cash-grab" which is a really good thing.
Last edited by spyguy10709; Tomorrow at 07:10 AM.
spyguy10709 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2013, 10:06 PM   #3
JAQ
macrumors regular

Quote:
Sensors are exploding.
That just happens on the bridge of the Enterprise.
JAQ is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2013, 10:13 PM   #4
kas23
macrumors 603

He's right about the glasses. People who've never worn glasses before are certainly not going to jump at the opportunity.
kas23 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2013, 10:13 PM   #5
JayCee842
macrumors 6502a

None of us know if this market for "wearables" has any potential for huge profit, but I can most certainly bet Apple will jump on if it expands. I just hope that they will be one of the first - if not the first to introduce such technology.

The only problem is that Apple seems to be afraid to do anything really. They're afraid of risk.
JayCee842 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2013, 10:20 PM   #6
jmgregory1
macrumors 6502a

I would be the first to say that Apple designs great hardware, computers (Mac Pro), laptops, iPhones and iPads and have no qualms about having anyone see I use their hardware, but at least today, Apple won't get my money or attention for an iWatch. I love my Seiko Arctura Automatic and will wear it until it stops working, which will be a long time from now given it is an automatic. Watches just seem too much like a piece of jewelry and few people like to wear the same jewelry that millions of other people have.

There is a reason why there are so many watch companies and styles of watches. It just doesn't seem like the next evolution of tech. Not to me at least.
jmgregory1 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2013, 10:25 PM   #7
diazj3
macrumors 6502a

Pebble should register patents for their watch - all of it, as SJ would say - and then drag Apple through endless lawsuits. Including the way it fits on the wrist and the bands to hold it.

Perhaps that'll bring more innovating engineers instead of patent trolling lawyers to Apple.
diazj3 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2013, 10:50 PM   #8
Rogifan
macrumors G3

So we need three separate write ups for basically nothing? As expected we learned nothing new from Cook except that he hired someone from the EPA. What exactly is there to discuss?
Old May 28, 2013, 11:06 PM   #9
doelcm82
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by kas23 View Post
He's right about the glasses. People who've never worn glasses before are certainly not going to jump at the opportunity.
Nor will people who once wore glasses, but have moved to contact lenses, or corrected their vision through surgery.

I haven't worn a watch in decades, either.

I could be wrong. This generation might really embrace these wearables while (most) old fogies like me shake our heads. Then they will in turn shake their heads while the next generation rushes to implantable computers.

These kids with their "transistor radios" have no respect for the way we did things in the good old days.
doelcm82 is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2013, 11:09 PM   #10
HMI
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by diazj3 View Post
Including the way it fits on the wrist and the bands to hold it.
So if the iWatch has problems will one be holding it wrong, or will the iWatch be holding them wrong?
HMI is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2013, 11:09 PM   #11
maxosx
macrumors 68020

How boring. Borrowing a page from Steve Jobs, Cook bashes other's products, so as to make Apple look good when they pump out iWatches by the millions.
maxosx is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2013, 11:09 PM   #12
doelcm82
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Pebble should register patents for their watch - all of it, as SJ would say - and then drag Apple through endless lawsuits. Including the way it fits on the wrist and the bands to hold it.

Perhaps that'll bring more innovating engineers instead of patent trolling lawyers to Apple.
Then Pebble will become the new most hated company of the interwebs, countersued by every watchmaker in the world.
doelcm82 is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2013, 11:36 PM   #13
swarmster
macrumors 6502a

Not glasses, not a watch, but involving the 'natural wrist' where "there are other things in this space that could be interesting". Talk of 'sensors' and things being 'clear'.

Finally! Apple implants!

Oh my...Apple implant --> 'another branch of the tree' --> ripe --> Apple iPlant! Confirmed!

Last edited by swarmster; May 28, 2013 at 11:46 PM. Reason: Eureka
swarmster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2013, 11:40 PM   #14
dec.
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
...and then drag Apple through endless lawsuits. ...
For what exactly?
Old May 29, 2013, 12:02 AM   #15
CarlosQG
macrumors 6502a

Smartwatch? No, thank you. My Omega Seamaster is all I need on my wrist.
Old May 29, 2013, 12:24 AM   #16
macse30
macrumors regular

"Nothing great." Translation: "We won't acknowledge great work done by a much smaller company that has delivered a product while we sit around and talk about "incredibly interesting profound areas."

I've had my Pebble for weeks and absolutely love it. I received my Boombot REX bluetooth speaker today (another Kickstarter). Holy ***** it is fun. The REX has great sound. I can control the playlist from my Pebble for music streaming on the REX. I can use Siri on the REX and use it for speakerphone.

Both pair up really well to my 4S at the same time. Hey Tim Cook, "incredibly interesting" just arrived and it's great. Check it out sometime.
macse30 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2013, 12:36 AM   #17
NoNothing
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to NoNothing
Quote:

I think the major troll in Google suing Apple (first BTW) using standards essential patents.
NoNothing is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2013, 01:05 AM   #18
GREEN4U
macrumors 6502a

Who wears a navy jacket with a black dress shirt? This guy is nuts.
GREEN4U is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2013, 01:59 AM   #19
unknwntrr
macrumors newbie

I'm not sure I'd wear any technology. I'm not wearing any now - no watch etc. what might be interesting would be intelligent clothing that connects to my phone when it's in my pocket.

I don't like the idea of something permanently emitting electro magnetic waves that close to my skin though. And I definitely won't charge my shirt before wearing it, that it will have to do in the washing machine…
unknwntrr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2013, 02:10 AM   #20
otismotive77
macrumors 6502

tim cook is busy catching media's attention for the iWatch.
i hope they come out with a great smartwatch. i heard that iwatch will also have siri, apple maps, emails,etc.
otismotive77 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2013, 02:42 AM   #21
olowott
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to olowott
They are taking their sweet time
or are they waiting for someone else to make the first move
Old May 29, 2013, 03:30 AM   #22
AppleMark
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCee842 View Post
None of us know if this market for "wearables" has any potential for huge profit, but I can most certainly bet Apple will jump on if it expands. I just hope that they will be one of the first - if not the first to introduce such technology.

The only problem is that Apple seems to be afraid to do anything really. They're afraid of risk.
I did not hear that from the interview.

I only heard Tim Cook talking positively about TV and Watches. The fact that he was unprepared to go into details and say "yes we are going to make a watch" does not translate to being afraid.

Apple were not first with MP3, tablets or even computers. This should tell you everything you need to know....
Old May 29, 2013, 03:41 AM   #23
Xiroteus
macrumors 6502a

Be curious to find out if people will care enough. People likely stopped using watches to any great degree because they do not do enough so what is the point. If they release something that does a lot that can be looked at with ease it could do well.
Xiroteus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2013, 03:45 AM   #24
Peace
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiroteus View Post
Be curious to find out if people will care enough. People likely stopped using watches to any great degree because they do not do enough so what is the point. If they release something that does a lot that can be looked at with ease it could do well.
Two words.

Dick Tracy.

Peace is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2013, 03:55 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleMark View Post
I did not hear that from the interview.

I only heard Tim Cook talking positively about TV and Watches. The fact that he was unprepared to go into details and say "yes we are going to make a watch" does not translate to being afraid.

Apple were not first with MP3, tablets or even computers. This should tell you everything you need to know....
Indeed.

I see the wearable computer (wrist or otherwise) market as very parallel to the MP3 player market in the early 2000's. There are already basic products out there. We are beginning to see more advanced stuff cropping up.

Apple will likely take its time, deploying later a product that they feel is vastly superior.

Like the iPod, I think the key to success here is cross platform compatibility.
757015 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion