Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tortri

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2010
Hey thanks for the post. I applied the file and haven't seen any speed increases here in patuxent river, Maryland.

Maybe later out in town

chilibball

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2008
In terms of 1X Advanced, could it theoretically enable simultaneous voice/data or HD Voice?

Probably not...

Kevin

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
That's because the update is pretty much snake oil.

This hack enables 1x Advanced and EVDO Rev. B on the iPhone 5 and iPad 3, 4, and mini as well as enhancing LTE data speeds. Though Verizon is limited to EVDO Rev. A, the device itself becomes more open to an increased amount of bandwidth thus allowing for better throughput of data and data connection.

Being "more open to an increased amount of bandwidth" means nothing if the network doesn't have the bandwidth to give. It's as effective as turning on LTE on your phone in an area not covered by LTE yet. Only with LTE there's hope you'll get it sooner or later. With 1x advanced and EVDO-B, it's never, ever going to happen.

But, it's unlikely the hacked update will hurt antyhing either, so if you want to waste your time or are susceptible to placebos, then have at it.

Apollo 13

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2010
Not snake oil for me it actually worked. Took me a while to understand the instructions since I didn't know where to press the shift key. I use to get anywhere from 4.5-10Mbps and now it's 7-16Mbps. I noticed my Ping isn't in the 100's anymore and I get anywhere from 57-61 now.

*EDIT* I just changed my server settings and now I get 15-23+Mbps every time now.

Last edited:

chilibball

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2008
I just applied this to my Verizon iPhone 5 a few minutes ago and will post back later on the (hopefully good) results.

Kevin

Shockwave78

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2010
retract my previous post. I installed this and thought it wasnt working. Turns out it did not install and i am still on Verizon carrier version 14.2, it should be 14.1 after you install it which is odd. It seems like 90% of the people trying to install the Verizon one are having this issue if it looking like it installed, but it actually did not.

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
retract my previous post. I installed this and thought it wasnt working. Turns out it did not install and i am still on Verizon carrier version 14.2, it should be 14.1 after you install it which is odd. It seems like 90% of the people trying to install the Verizon one are having this issue if it looking like it installed, but it actually did not.

Are you sure it reverts to 14.1 after the install?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.