Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following today's launch of a new stripped-down 16 GB fifth-generation iPod touch, The Loop reports Apple has disclosed that the company has reached a milestone for the device with over 100 million units sold since its launch in 2007.
In addition to launching a new model of its iPod touch on Thursday, Apple told me this morning that it has sold more than 100 million units of the iPod touch since its introduction.

The iPod touch was launched in 2007 and took the design of the iPhone, minus the calling ability. It has since become one of Apple's most popular products.
ipod_touch_5_colors.jpg
Historically, Apple has not disclosed the number of iPod touch units it sells each quarter, generally announcing only that the device accounts for more than half of the company's total iPod sales. The company revealed in documents filed in its lawsuit against Samsung last year that it had sold 46.5 million iPod touch units in the United States alone, but firm numbers have otherwise been difficult to come by.

Article Link: Apple Reaches Milestone of 100 Million iPod Touch Units Sold

MattJessop

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2007
Manchester, UK
I bought the first gen Touch years ago when it first came out, quickly fell in love and upgraded to the 3G when that came out.

I gave it to my mum years ago, managed to find it the other day. It's amazing how much has changed!! The screen was awful and washed out, it was really slow, took 10 seconds to open the settings app, is as thick as my iPhone 5 and yet at the time thought it was the best thing I'd ever ever used!! Crazy. :D

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
I bought the first gen Touch years ago when it first came out, quickly fell in love and upgraded to the 3G when that came out.

I gave it to my mum years ago, managed to find it the other day. It's amazing how much has changed!! The screen was awful and washed out, it was really slow, took 10 seconds to open the settings app, is as thick as my iPhone 5 and yet at the time thought it was the best thing I'd ever ever used!! Crazy. :D

It wasn't that slow before. The iOS updates always slow things down on old hardware.

easy4lif

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2005
Southbay CA
Owned 1st, 2nd 4th, and the current model.

I've prob saved 5k in money by not having to sign up for a phone contract

ProVideo

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2011
It's amazing how much has changed!! The screen was awful and washed out, it was really slow, took 10 seconds to open the settings app, is as thick as my iPhone 5 and yet at the time thought it was the best thing I'd ever ever used!! Crazy. :D

Find a Newton MessagePad and give it a spin.

tumblr_lmt1hiDOQE1qhq93go1_500.gif

tumblr_m3ry3pbGqi1qas2jho1_250.gif

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
perfect timing for ios 7 this new ipod touches.

I still remember when ipod touch user has to pay $10 for iphoneOS upgrades,
still the best mp3 / entertainment / games device.

pnoyblazed

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2008

I know right! This too led me to get an iPhone

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
and thank you Apple for recycling all those lithium-ion batteries. I couldn't imagine the e-waste if Apple didn't provide a green initiative. :)

Lithium-ion Batteries

Battery Replacement and Disposal
Rechargeable batteries have a limited number of charge cycles and may eventually need to be replaced and disposed of. For products with built-in lithium-ion polymer batteries, the batteries should be replaced only by Apple or an Apple authorized service provider. Apple and its authorized service providers will ensure the spent battery is recycled properly, since batteries should always be recycled or disposed separately from household waste. Learn more about Apple’s battery replacement options

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
I've just done the maths and that's 33 iPod Touches sold every single minute since launch.

World Citizen

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2011
I was pretty green to Apple in the iPod Touch launch days....

I was fully Windows minded (private) And, didn't even look at Apple products...

But then... then there was this store where there was a device which said
"Slide to unlock"

I was standing there for 2 minutes thinking if this could be real... If I really could slide that little button on that screen. And when I finally got the courage to try it IT WORKED>>>> I was truly amazed. And sold.

From then on my computer usage changed 200%. Not only the brand, but my whole idea of what a computer should do FOR YOU!

For me the iPod touch changed the world and not the iPhone...

Zunjine

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2009
I had a first gen iPod touch - genuinely one of the most brilliant devices I have ever owned. The idea of having a real web experience on a device so small was mind blowing. Now, of course, we take it for granted, but I had a Blackberry before that and I know how bad browsing used to be on mobile devices - the iPhone and iPod touch were years ahead.

AppleHater

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
This is directly responsible for the drop of popularity of PS Vita and 3DS. I rarely see kids with handheld game machine but plenty with iPod touch and iPad. It's a game changer and no other company can pull the same thing even Samsung so far; their Galaxy Player stinks.

I've bought 4 of them and buying another one soon.

SvenSvenson

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2007
But then... then there was this store where there was a device which said
"Slide to unlock"

I was standing there for 2 minutes thinking if this could be real... If I really could slide that little button on that screen. And when I finally got the courage to try it IT WORKED>>>> I was truly amazed. And sold.

I thought that, but then I keep reading that the iOS GUI wasn't really any different to everything else (Palm, Win CE etc) and that Apple have never invented anything, so I must have been wrong... :rolleyes:

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012
The screen was awful and washed out, it was really slow, took 10 seconds to open the settings app, is as thick as my iPhone 5 and yet at the time thought it was the best thing I'd ever ever used!! Crazy. :D

iPhone 5 is thick?:eek:

Last edited:

phillipduran

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
and thank you Apple for recycling all those lithium-ion batteries. I couldn't imagine the e-waste if Apple didn't provide a green initiative. :)

Lithium-ion Batteries

You mean lighting parts of the battery on FIRE to incinerate them? <cough, cough>.

Using chemicals <yuck> to break down other chemicals. I hate funky chemicals.

Taking metal parts and SMELTING them in a big, burning, soot producing smelter. Ever been to a forge? Nasty, nasty places.

Tossing the non recyclable parts in the dumpster.

I don't think the process is as rosy as you think it is.

iDento

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011
iCloud Servers
Yup

Owned 1st, 2nd 4th, and the current model.

I've prob saved 5k in money by not having to sign up for a phone contract

You actually did, I got the 4th gen and loved it, now I have an iPhone 5, it's amazing for sure but the 5th gen iPod Touch is so so cool that I wish I've got it instead.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.