Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whatshennenin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2013
Saw a brand new 15 rmbp for $1400, was curious if you guys had any experience with these craigslist deals.

Seeing as it's brand new in box, what kind of things should I watch out for? He also lists full warranty as well

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Fu** specs, it is definitely too good to be true. $1,400 for a machine that costs over $2k? This sounds like stolen or another scam.

kevinws

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2007
O'Fallon, MO
part of me says run as fast as you can.

But earlier this year I was in a bind and I sold some stuff at lower than every one else was selling the same item. Just to move it quickly. I would check it out in a public place a library or coffee shop that has wifi. Make sure everything works. Feel the seller out are they acting weird. People asked me upfront why was I selling so cheap. To me it was a reasonable question. Both me and my wife had unexpected hospital stays. I explained that to them. Check for serial numbers.

If it feel right go for it. If anything feels off decline. If they don't want to meet in a public place decline.

whatshennenin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2013

i7 2.4ghz
8gb ram
256gb ssd

so it's the base model rmbp, but still a pretty tempting price.

Thanks for the replies everyone,

In the ad, he actually wants to meet at Starbucks. Link to the ad (if ad links not allowed, lmk and I'll take it down): http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/sys/3828971209.html

Just curious, since we're meeting in person at a pretty public place, and given that it is sealed once I see it in person/I'll open it up and test it in front of him, in what ways can I get scammed?

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
If it was me, I'd be asking myself why anyone would buy a brand new rMBP, not even open it and then sell it on Craigslist for hundreds of dollars less than they paid for it. The only answers I can think of is it's either stolen or he plans on robbing you.

Either way, I'd avoid it!

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
The base model is $1600 refurbished, and things on Craigslist don't have to be cheap to be scams or stolen property. You will either respond or not respond to them. Don't agree to any remote transactions. Know what to look for. If someone says it's new, you can always ask if they have proof of purchase. If they say they won it or something like that, ignore it. Regardless of who you buy from on Craigslist, you don't really have any recourse. I know people will say to get identification from the seller and various other things, but that is creepy and won't help you in the end.

i7 2.4ghz
8gb ram
256gb ssd

so it's the base model rmbp, but still a pretty tempting price.

Thanks for the replies everyone,

In the ad, he actually wants to meet at Starbucks. Link to the ad (if ad links not allowed, lmk and I'll take it down): http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/sys/3828971209.html

Just curious, since we're meeting in person at a pretty public place, and given that it is sealed once I see it in person/I'll open it up and test it in front of him, in what ways can I get scammed?

He could just be outside the return period. I would probably ask to see a receipt.

whatshennenin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2013
The base model is $1600 refurbished, and things on Craigslist don't have to be cheap to be scams or stolen property. You will either respond or not respond to them. Don't agree to any remote transactions. Know what to look for. If someone says it's new, you can always ask if they have proof of purchase. If they say they won it or something like that, ignore it. Regardless of who you buy from on Craigslist, you don't really have any recourse. I know people will say to get identification from the seller and various other things, but that is creepy and won't help you in the end.

He could just be outside the return period. I would probably ask to see a receipt.

Good point, but even if he's outside the return period I don't see a reason why he would sell it so cheap, when he could sell it for close to retail and minimize most of his losses.

No matter how I try and justify that this could be legit (advertised as brand new, willing to meet in a public place, test it out before handing over cash, etc), I still can't give a reason as to why anyone would sell a current rmbp for so cheap :\

Honestly I'm thinking of going for it, but leaving the cash with a friend in case things go south lol. And of course ask to run some diags/tests before giving him the cash.

yourtoys7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2007
I purchased a while ago late 2012 11" Air for 800. cash, in New cond. She provides reciept as well, almost 1400. after taxes in Canada. She couldn't get used to Mac and just wanted it gone, she was asking for a lot more, but like she said people just wouldn't show up, probably got tired and when i offered lower price, "if come today it's yours", and that was that.
Sometimes people sell for different reasons, but I would ask for receipt for sure.

tgi

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2012
OP check this out.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/sys/3839321616.html

Looks like the same ad, same phone # at the bottom. Different city, San Jose instead of Milpitas and the asking price is $1,800. Looks like someone talked some sense into him or maybe he got an insane amount of offers and decided to do some research.

whatshennenin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2013
OP check this out.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/sys/3839321616.html

Looks like the same ad, same phone # at the bottom. Different city, San Jose instead of Milpitas and the asking price is $1,800. Looks like someone talked some sense into him or maybe he got an insane amount of offers and decided to do some research.

Yeah I saw that too, definitely looks a bit sketchier now (if that's possible lol). If he decided to increase the price to $1800, not sure why he left the $1400 ad up.

Will ask for receipt for sure.

tgi

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2012
Yeah I saw that too, definitely looks a bit sketchier now (if that's possible lol). If he decided to increase the price to $1800, not sure why he left the $1400 ad up.

Well it doesn't seem sketch at all if he's asking $1,800, but $1,400, then yes it looks sketchy.

PS. You can buy that exact model for $1,999 direct from Apple with an education discount.

Let us know how it works out.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Good point, but even if he's outside the return period I don't see a reason why he would sell it so cheap, when he could sell it for close to retail and minimize most of his losses.

No matter how I try and justify that this could be legit (advertised as brand new, willing to meet in a public place, test it out before handing over cash, etc), I still can't give a reason as to why anyone would sell a current rmbp for so cheap :\

Honestly I'm thinking of going for it, but leaving the cash with a friend in case things go south lol. And of course ask to run some diags/tests before giving him the cash.

It does seem low. My point was mostly that people only red flag these things when they are cheap. I recall $1400 has been a typical scam price point in the past, having inquired on things before to find out that they're out of town but could ship it once payment has been received:rolleyes:.

If you can go $1600, get a refurbished model. I've read countless nitpicks regarding yellow screens or image persistence on here. I've never read about people having significant difficulty with specifically refurbished stock. If I was currently on the market for a rMBP, that is what I would buy. The .1 ghz due to mid cycle cpu revision is 100% meaningless no matter what your workload. I say that because if the 2.3 isn't enough, the 2.4 won't be either.

Cubytus

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2007
Scam or stolen merchandise. Or bought with a stolen card. Same crap.

And considering his language at the end of the ad, even knowing Americans tend to be very vulgar, I wouldn't trust this guy. Don't bother with the receipt, it can be fake. Ask to go to the local Apple store if you must.

Having to meet him in a public place is just common sense, though. I did all my Craigslist transactions in a public place except those I really couldn't such as selling my couch.

Just. Run.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.