Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cobbyco

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 6, 2012
My guess:
1. There will be a new 6th Gen model with an A6 processor and several other new features. It will come in at the same capacities, colours and prices as the 2012 5th Gen model (32GB and 64GB). A new 128GB model might be introduced, but only if the iPhone gets the new storage size as well. The new iPod touch will retain the same form factor as the 5th gen, and as such will fit the same cases etc.
2. The newly announced 16GB 5th Gen will be repriced at $199, and will come with iOS 7 preloaded.
3. The 4th Gen (no longer sold) will not get iOS 7, and we'll probably never hear about it again.

Your thoughts?

EDIT:
1. Waiting for fall...
2. Waiting for fall...
3. Correct.

Last edited:

blufire95

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2012
Germany
Yep I totally agree with you. There will be 128GB iPhones, iPod touches and iPad minis. I hope 32 GB will be the standard size.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
My guess:
• There will be a new 6th Gen model with an A6 processor and several other new features. It will come in at the same capacities, colours and prices as the 2012 5th Gen model (32GB and 64GB). A new 128GB model might be introduced, but only if the iPhone gets the new storage size as well.
• The newly announced 16GB 5th Gen will be repriced at $199, and will come with iOS 7 preloaded.
• The 4th Gen (no longer sold) will not get iOS 7, and we'll probably never hear about it again.

Your thoughts?

You are already wrong.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
A new 128GB option, maybe. But not a new 6th generation iPod Touch. Expecting prices of current 32GB and 64GB models to decrease a little though.

cobbyco

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 6, 2012
You are already wrong.

So what is 'right' then, considering none of us here actually know anything yet?

----------

A new 128GB option, maybe. But not a new 6th generation iPod Touch. Expecting prices of current 32GB and 64GB models to decrease a little though.

I would have thought there would be a 6th gen, otherwise the very top model will be using hardware from 2011. They already skipped a year between the 4th and 5th gen, and as a result we were left with an underpowered device for over 2 years.

But who knows? You could be right. We'll just have to wait until fall.

Last edited:

kaielement

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
Yes let's get rid of the 4th gen it runs ios 6 horribly and while they are at it get rid of the iPhone 4 I work for best buy mobile and hate selling those two things the most really because they run ios so badly and customers think they run just as good as the 5th gen iPod touch and iPhone 5 lol....... But what do you except from hardware from 2010

cobbyco

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 6, 2012
Yes let's get rid of the 4th gen it runs ios 6 horribly and while they are at it get rid of the iPhone 4 I work for best buy mobile and hate selling those two things the most really because they run ios so badly and customers think they run just as good as the 5th gen iPod touch and iPhone 5 lol....... But what do you except from hardware from 2010

Thankfully Apple don't sell them (4th Gen touch) any more, which almost certainly means it won't get iOS 7. By fall I doubt anywhere will sell them new (unless they're getting rid of stock).

likethesoup2

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2011
Orlando, Florida
My guess:
• There will be a new 6th Gen model with an A6 processor and several other new features. It will come in at the same capacities, colours and prices as the 2012 5th Gen model (32GB and 64GB). A new 128GB model might be introduced, but only if the iPhone gets the new storage size as well.
• The newly announced 16GB 5th Gen will be repriced at $199, and will come with iOS 7 preloaded.
• The 4th Gen (no longer sold) will not get iOS 7, and we'll probably never hear about it again.

Your thoughts?

And you're basing all this on what exactly? Your gut? Your own personal wants?

Certainly not past history.

Thetonyk123

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2011
Earth

4th gen runs horrible on iOS 6? Nope.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
My fall prediction is that if your iPod falls too far, it will get damaged. :cool:

If there is a new generation of the iPod touch this year, I expect it to pretty much inherit the guts form the iPhone 5 while the iPhone 5s gets upgrades internally.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
First u have to assess why apple release the touch 16gb at 229. Is it because people are not buying the 32gb and 64 because they found it a better investment to go with Ipad mini?

Whatever you can put in to the touch and not have battery ran out before watching them all. Ipad mini battery is way way better.

In such case, i think the op is totally wrong with his prediction.

There will be no ipod touch refresh this year. 32 and 64 will get price cut, maybe 279 and 379. Apple has no need to upgrade spec because it simply has no competitors. The only competitor is the its price.

cobbyco

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 6, 2012
And you're basing all this on what exactly? Your gut? Your own personal wants?

First of all, 'My guess' so just like everyone else here I have to base this on what I already know.

If it was based on 'personal wants' then the prediction would be unrealistic. It's not.

The main reason why I think this will happen is because if the top iPod touch isn't updated then the top model will be using hardware from 2011 that will have to last until 2014. I doubt Apple wants to have another situation where their best iPod touch is underpowered (4th Gen touch 2010-12).

Certainly not past history.

Apple missed one year where there was no significant refresh (2011). It's not like Apple only refresh the iPod touch once every 2 years; that was just one case. If Apple keep skipping out years then the touch would end up way behind the iPhone, and so the software wouldn't be properly suited for the slower hardware.

----------

First u have to assess why apple release the touch 16gb at 229. Is it because people are not buying the 32gb and 64 because they found it a better investment to go with Ipad mini?

Whatever you can put in to the touch and not have battery ran out before watching them all. Ipad mini battery is way way better.

In such case, i think the op is totally wrong with his prediction.

There will be no ipod touch refresh this year. 32 and 64 will get price cut, maybe 279 and 379. Apple has no need to upgrade spec because it simply has no competitors. The only competitor is the its price.

Definitely sound like a sensible reason, but I don't believe Apple would leave us with a processor from 2011 for another year. I reckon they will at least give the 32GB/64GB touch an A6 processor, even if they change nothing else.

But that's just my guess. You could be 100% right. Maybe Apple will lower the price of the current models.

cobbyco

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 6, 2012
4th gen runs horrible on iOS 6? Nope.

Yes, it does. It's not unusable, but compare it to the 5th gen or 4th gen on iOS 4 and you will easily see the difference in performance.

I owned one. That's what made me decide to upgrade to a 5th gen. And no, it wasn't jailbroken with a million tweaks installed.

----------

I think the iPod lineup may be on borrowed time.

At the moment Apple still makes enough money on iPods to keep them, but with the introduction of the iPad mini etc. I suspect they might get rid of iPods soon.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
[/COLOR]

Definitely sound like a sensible reason, but I don't believe Apple would leave us with a processor from 2011 for another year. I reckon they will at least give the 32GB/64GB touch an A6 processor, even if they change nothing else.

But that's just my guess. You could be 100% right. Maybe Apple will lower the price of the current models.[/QUOTE]

I certainly hope it dont get a A6, wouldn't want the latest ipod touch to have faster chip than my Ipad 2, hahahaha

kaielement

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
Thankfully Apple don't sell them (4th Gen touch) any more, which almost certainly means it won't get iOS 7. By fall I doubt anywhere will sell them new (unless they're getting rid of stock).

Yes only because they just released the 16gb version. But the 16gb version doesn't come in all the cool colors or have the loop attachment. Thank good the end of the 4th gen now if only we could get rid of our stock and be done with it. Lol

Thetonyk123

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2011
Earth
Yes, it does. It's not unusable, but compare it to the 5th gen or 4th gen on iOS 4 and you will easily see the difference in performance.

I owned one. That's what made me decide to upgrade to a 5th gen. And no, it wasn't jailbroken with a million tweaks installed.

----------

I assume so. Mines jailbroken but I have only 3 tiny tweaks (iCleaner, MovieBox, and Zephyr). With iCleaner it makes it a lot faster. Non-jailbroken might be bad, haven't tried it in awhile.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
Yes only because they just released the 16gb version. But the 16gb version doesn't come in all the cool colors or have the loop attachment. Thank good the end of the 4th gen now if only we could get rid of our stock and be done with it. Lol

To be honest, i would prefer the built finish of Touch 4 more than 5. If im just looking for a dedicated mp3 player, i would choose touch 4.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
My prediction:

Possible small price drops, possibly different colours.

I wouldn't be surprised if they leave them alone for a year like they did with the 4G.

The A5 is that much better than the A4 it would still be a competitive product in a years time for the position Apple have put it in the market. They're the highest seller in a rapidly shrinking sector so Apple aren't likely to throw their best at it.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Only minor updates on the 32/64 Touch (color, etc) this fall.
No updates on the 16Gb Touch since it was just updated to the newest design.

You will not see an A6 update to the 32/64 Touch until fall 2014 and the 16Gb Touch until the spring/fall 2015.

I'm very doubtful there will ever be a 128Gb Touch released.

The current gen 5 Touch is very good and I wouldn't hesitate on buying one now to replace an older model.

kaielement

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
To be honest, i would prefer the built finish of Touch 4 more than 5. If im just looking for a dedicated mp3 player, i would choose touch 4.

If you looking for a dedicated player either the classic or the nano would probable do you better.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I also think that there won't be any major upgrades to the iPod touch line this year. I can't see why Apple would. Sales of all the iPods are on the decline so I don't think they are a priority or front line product for Apple.

cobbyco

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 6, 2012
So I was right about the third prediction. Now we wait to see how close I was for the first two. I also edited the first prediction, adding:

The new iPod touch will retain the same form factor as the 5th gen, and as such will fit the same cases etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.