Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following yesterday's introduction of a new entry-level fifth-generation iPod touch with 16 GB of storage and lacking a rear camera, Apple's retail stores began carrying the device today. Australian Ben Pasternak was one of the first to purchase the new iPod touch, and he has posted a brief video overview of it.

ipod_touch_5_16gb_side.jpg
While the body design is nearly identical to the existing fifth-generation iPod touch, merely lacking the rear camera and support for Apple's Loop wrist strap, the video provides a good look at the unique color scheme for the new model, which carries a black front and silver back.

The new 16 GB iPod touch is priced at $229, compared to $299/$399 for the 32/64 GB models. With the introduction of the 16 GB model, Apple has discontinued the fourth-generation iPod touch, which it had continued to offer at $199 (16 GB) and $249 (32 GB) alongside the fifth-generation models since their launch late last year.

Update: iLounge has also posted some photos of the new iPod touch.

Article Link: A Brief First Look at Apple's New 16 GB iPod Touch

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
I reckon Apple have released this 'new' 16GB iPod Touch just so they don't have to support the 4th gen through iOS 7…

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
Anyone who says "iPhones are already thin, they don't need to be any thinner" should hold one of these. They'll soon change their minds.

AT06

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2012
Winwick, UK
Really hope the iPhone 6 looks something like this - hopefully some new technology will allow for an all aluminium back without affecting signal too much.

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
I wish they kept this black and silver with the iPhone.

I hate white on silver and black on the ugly black aluminum. Just like iPhone 4 and 4S, and the original iPhone. Black in a matte silver.

landroverz7

macrumors member
May 7, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
This model should have been there from the start alongside the 32 and 64 GB models. Would be better at $199, as it has no camera. I have a feeling apple will not support IOS 7 for the 4th gen, so they got rid of it a few days before WWDC. Apple is so smart ;)

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
Would look better if it didn't have the black space on the back where the camera actually goes.

That's not where the camera goes. It's a plastic piece to let the Wifi radios work.

The bigger capacity ones have the exact same piece of plastic in them.

medi.freak

macrumors regular
May 26, 2011
Am I the only one who thinks it is bs that they got rid of the back camera? I mean, what does it cost them? $7/device ?

I guess most people have a smartphone, but I remember my mom who had one of the early ipod touches (2nd gen maybe) who didn't have the back camera as well, and once said to me: "If it had a camera it would be absolutely perfect".

I guess people wouldn't bother to buy the new one if the basicc one had the back camera...

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012
Anyone who says "iPhones are already thin, they don't need to be any thinner" should hold one of these. They'll soon change their minds.

It can get awkward to hold the thinner it becomes. However so many have cases that it can afford to be thinner. Still on the iPhone 4S which is not that thick until I put my case in it.

macse30

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2009
I think the purpose of the video was to show off the focus control of his video camera.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.