Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gaurav0224

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2009
Hi,
I currently have a mac book air running osx 10.8.
And i recently purchased a imac running osx 10.8.

I need help with the backup feature between my imac and macbook air.
I work with excel files a lot, using Microsoft office for mac.

so basically what i want is to have a 2 way backup between my imac and macbok air.
That is, when i make any changes, create or delete a file in either of the system, i want the other system to make the change automatically.
For example when i make changes to a spreadsheet (excel file) on my imac, i want the same to be updated automatically on my macbook air, and vice versa.
Basically i want both the machines to have the same files, updating the files as they get modified. or deleting if its deleted on any one of the system. Like a 2 way sync.

Kindly let me know if theres any way to do this. or something similar that can help me, like i mainly require the excel spreadsheets to be updated, system files, other libraries are not important.
I can also put all my files in a single folder if thats required.
Ps. Both the machines are connected on the same network, and i can also hook a external drive for the backup purpose if required.

I searched google for softwares and couldnt find the appropriate ones.
Any help would be appreciated.
Let me know if you require any more info on this.

Thanks
Gaurav.
Email- gaurav0224@gmail.com

Last edited:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
You could store your files in Dropbox. Any changes would be synced to any device that shares the Dropbox folder.

gaurav0224

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2009
You could store your files in Dropbox. Any changes would be synced to any device that shares the Dropbox folder.

So the files that im working with, should i access those thru the dropbox folder, and then work on it? so that it makes the required changes to the other device as well?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Thanks guys.. ill give it a try. Also does it update only newly created files or will it also update already created files that i have made changes to?

It will update both. Whatever you put in a Dropbox folder (old or new) will be mirrored across all machines you have your Dropbox account installed on... even the iOS Dropbox app.

gaurav0224

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2009
It will update both. Whatever you put in a Dropbox folder (old or new) will be mirrored across all machines you have your Dropbox account installed on... even the iOS Dropbox app.

Thanks..

Ps- how do i close this thread as resolved?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Thanks..

Ps- how do i close this thread as resolved?

You don't need to close this thread, but if you go to your original post and click Edit, then click Go Advanced, you will see where you can change the prefix of the thread title to Resolved.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.