Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

southerndoc

Contributor
Original poster
May 15, 2006
USA
Does anyone know if this is possible?

I am having network cables installed in my home in a 2 weeks. I would like to install the cable modem and Time Capsule in the basement. I would like to use the TC as my primary router and use switches to connect all ethernet access points.

I would like an AirPort Extreme Base Station in my office to serve as a WiFi access point. I don't want the TC to supply WiFi in the basement because I believe the signals would oversaturate the frequencies and interfere with my ADT iHub and SonosNet.

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
No problem doing that. If you set the TC and AirPort Extreme to different channels they shouldn't conflict. If you don't need the extra wifi coverage then just turn the wifi off.

I do something similar. I have my cable modem and router in the garage where the builder terminated all the cat5 and coax. That router then connects to an AEBS in the center of the house for excellent wifi coverage. I also have an 8 port switch hanging off it for all the wired devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.