Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPad Apps

Old May 31, 2013, 04:39 PM   #1
silvetti
macrumors 6502

Numbers: Scatter graph issue

Hi guys,

I'm having some issues with graphs on Numbers for iOS... Maybe you can help...

I have a table with values and I draw a scatter graph from them but I can't seem to get the table values on the x and y (to actually show the values, not just place the dot).

If you see on the screenshot I have 1.5, 3, 4.5 etc instead of the actual values.

Any clue how to resolve this?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370036333.678767.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	414671
silvetti is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2013, 08:32 PM   #2
TJ61
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvetti View Post
I have a table with values and I draw a scatter graph from them but I can't seem to get the table values on the x and y (to actually show the values, not just place the dot).

If you see on the screenshot I have 1.5, 3, 4.5 etc instead of the actual values.
I've never seen this type of graph (in any graphing application) do anything differently than what you're seeing. The x- and y-axis ticks and/or grids are always evenly spaced, and labelled like you see, rather than labelled with your data.

One really good reason for this will be clear the first time you try to plot hundreds or thousands of data points.

Regards,
Tom
TJ61 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2013, 02:48 AM   #3
silvetti
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ61 View Post
I've never seen this type of graph (in any graphing application) do anything differently than what you're seeing. The x- and y-axis ticks and/or grids are always evenly spaced, and labelled like you see, rather than labelled with your data.

One really good reason for this will be clear the first time you try to plot hundreds or thousands of data points.

Regards,
Tom
Thanks for your reply.

Maybe you are right

Another question if I may, what about line of best fit? Connecting first point directly to last one? Is it possible or would I have to do it by hand?
silvetti is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2013, 10:49 AM   #4
MisterMe
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvetti View Post
Thanks for your reply.

Maybe you are right

Another question if I may, what about line of best fit? Connecting first point directly to last one? Is it possible or would I have to do it by hand?
No, TJ61 is in error. What you have there is a standard scatter graph with one independent variable and one dependent variable. Your data appear to be evenly-spaced and straightline, but this is not required. As a general proposition, connecting the first point to the last point is a misrepresentation of your data. If you are doing this for a class, then your professor should debit your grade for this practice. Numbers has a "trendline" option for scatter graphs. This is what you need. These options are reasonably easy to find in the OS X version of Numbers. Unfortunately, Numbers is crashing on both of my iPads.
MisterMe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2013, 11:44 AM   #5
TJ61
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMe View Post
No, TJ61 is in error. What you have there is a standard scatter graph...
Are you confusing a scatter graph with one of the other graph types?

Here's an example (from Apple Support) of a scatter graph.

It's very much like a scatter graph in many other applications, in which the axis labels are independent of any particular data pair being plotted. Again, if you imagine a scatter graph containing hundreds or thousands of data points, it would not be possible for each to get it's own axis label.

Regards,
Tom

Last edited by TJ61; Jun 1, 2013 at 01:31 PM.
TJ61 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPad Apps