Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 7

Old May 31, 2013, 06:24 PM   #1
Am3r1ca16
macrumors 6502a

What if I told you iOS 7 isn't going to be flat?

Pretty sure apple isn't going to automatically just change iOS dramatically like people have been saying. And there is no clear evidence to even support that ridiculous idea. To them Flat can mean something different than it does to you. It will be funny if iOS 7 turn out to be completely wrong from what people have rumored for the past 2 months lol

Last edited by Am3r1ca16; Jun 1, 2013 at 11:20 AM.
Am3r1ca16 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2013, 06:32 PM   #2
jbenkelman
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Am3r1ca16 View Post
Pretty sure apple isn't just going to automatically just make iOS just dramatically. And there is no clear evidence to even support that ridiculous idea. To them Flat can mean something different that it does to you. It will be funny if iOS 7 turn out to be completely wrong from what people have rumored for the past 2 months lol
Tim Cook said in an interview THIS WEEK that Ive would be changing the look and feel of it...in so many words. I'm pretty sure thats confirmation enough for me. We shall find out in the just over a week! Lol.
Old May 31, 2013, 06:40 PM   #3
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Pretty sure apple isn't just going to automatically just make iOS just dramatically. And there is no clear evidence to even support that ridiculous idea. To them Flat can mean something different that it does to you. It will be funny if iOS 7 turn out to be completely wrong from what people have rumored for the past 2 months lol
I would say who are you and what evidence do you have on the contrary?
GoCubsGo is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2013, 06:51 PM   #4
Sonnestah
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica. View Post
I would say who are you and what evidence do you have on the contrary?
He said he is pretty sure

Internet never lies
Sonnestah is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2013, 07:41 PM   #5
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnestah View Post
He said he is pretty sure

Internet never lies
Damn! Foiled again!
GoCubsGo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2013, 10:10 AM   #6
lewismayell
macrumors 6502a

I read 'just' three times in the first sentence, and I'm not sure I can even make sense of it
lewismayell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2013, 10:21 AM   #7
Drunken Master
macrumors 65816

Drunken Master is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2013, 10:33 AM   #8
Simplicated
macrumors 65816

I'll still upgrade to it... be it flat or not.
Simplicated is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2013, 12:40 PM   #9
BvizioN
macrumors 68020

Send a message via Skype™ to BvizioN
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenkelman View Post
Tim Cook said in an interview THIS WEEK that Ive would be changing the look and feel of it...in so many words. I'm pretty sure thats confirmation enough for me. We shall find out in the just over a week! Lol.
I don't think he said that! What he said is "And now after 7 months or so it has been an incredible change" referring to changes on Apple's board and who is doing what (it started with a question of changes on iOS 7 witch Tim refused to comment and then about Jonny Eve and if he has been working on iOS) I think people are just getting excited and misinterpreting his words! Of course he will use the words like "superexcited, magic, incredible" etc. What else could he say. I think Tim Cook has given no indication at all of what iOS 7 will be like. But I may be wrong... we will see in a week time.
Old Jun 1, 2013, 12:50 PM   #10
charlituna
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenkelman View Post
That still doesn't equal this 'omg they are going to copy Metro' that a lot of folks are yelling about.

For all we know its the same grid and basically same icons without the drop shadows, gradient backgrounds etc. moving all apps to identical controls, adding more swipe etc options. And a ton of bug fixes like the wifi stuff, the music app delays etc.

A few of the things listed here wouldn't suck either
charlituna is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2013, 12:54 PM   #11
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BvizioN View Post
I don't think he said that! What he said is "And now after 7 months or so it has been an incredible change" referring to changes on Apple's board and who is doing what (it started with a question of changes on iOS 7 witch Tim refused to comment and then about Jonny Eve and if he has been working on iOS) I think people are just getting excited and misinterpreting his words! Of course he will use the words like "superexcited, magic, incredible" etc. What else could he say. I think Tim Cook has given no indication at all of what iOS 7 will be like. But I may be wrong... we will see in a week time.
Cook didn't confirm if iOS would be "flat"' but he did confirm that Ive was "really key" to iOS 7 and what he was doing was "incredible".

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post
That still doesn't equal this 'omg they are going to copy Metro' that a lot of folks are yelling about.
Since its 99% certain live tiles aren't coming to iOS I'm not sure why people think it will look like Windows.
Old Jun 1, 2013, 01:01 PM   #12
charlituna
macrumors G3

Quote:
about Jonny Eve
But sad that he is one of your own and you can't get his name right.
Jony Ive. Though in England I believe it is considered socially proper to acknowledge when a seven year CBE is fully knighted so that would be Sir Ive.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
Since its 99% certain live tiles aren't coming to iOS I'm not sure why people think it will look like Windows.
Because live tiles and the UI are different things
charlituna is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2013, 12:03 AM   #13
jbenkelman
macrumors regular

Quote:
I agree. I do feel like we have no idea what will be presented next week. The hype is high, and the expectations are higher...so lets hope Apple sees that bar and raises it.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 02:08 AM   #14
BvizioN
macrumors 68020

Send a message via Skype™ to BvizioN
Quote:
Grammar Nazi much? And no, Im not English.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 05:35 AM   #15
cambookpro
macrumors 601

Quote:
Jony Ive. Though in England I believe it is considered socially proper to acknowledge when a seven year CBE is fully knighted so that would be Sir Ive.

----------

Because live tiles and the UI are different things
Although in England, you shouldn't call someone by Sir [last name]. Either Sir Jony Ive, or Sir Jony is most appropriate here!

</grammarnazi>

Old Jun 3, 2013, 10:32 AM   #16
phpmaven
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Grammar Nazi much? And no, Im not English.
Good thing you didn't say "Grammer Nazi".
phpmaven is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2013, 11:08 AM   #17
hafr
Banned

Why are everyone so dead set on the flatness being (only) graphical? To me, it makes sense to say iOS becomes flatter by making options easier accessible as well. Like a flatter structure.

Unlock, Settings, iCloud, Storage & Backup, Manage Storage, iPhone Backup. Only here can I change what I (don't) want to be backed up. It's hidden, and I can tell you I've met more than a few people who have had problems with iCloud saying there's no more space for backups, only to later realise that iCloud is backing up their entire camera roll, or GBs of offline playlists from Spotify.

To move this up a bit, or being able to add switches to the Notification Centre, would be to make iOS more flat. Am I completely off base here?
hafr is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2013, 11:42 AM   #18
sdilley14
macrumors 6502a

I think everyone needs to stop going crazy over this and just wait and see what is revealed. To me, "flat" is a very subjective term in what it could mean in relation to an operating system. No one knows what they mean when they say the new OS is going to be "flat" or have "flat" elements to it or whatever. It could be relative to texture elements (literally making textured buttons, edges, etc. "flat"), it could be relative to colors, it could be relative to interoperability of apps and essential OS functions, or it could be a mix of some or all of those things...we don't know!
sdilley14 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2013, 12:30 PM   #19
mm201
macrumors regular

He never said "flat", only "no more rich textures."
Old Jun 3, 2013, 09:52 PM   #20
saberahul
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Pretty sure apple isn't going to automatically just change iOS dramatically like people have been saying. And there is no clear evidence to even support that ridiculous idea. To them Flat can mean something different than it does to you. It will be funny if iOS 7 turn out to be completely wrong from what people have rumored for the past 2 months lol
I hope your last sentence is true. I like the idea of a 'surprise'.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 10:44 PM   #21
ericp99
macrumors newbie

I'd love to see a complete overhaul of iOS 7 in Ive's style. I'm a little bored of the current iOS.
ericp99 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2013, 10:59 PM   #22
zbarvian
macrumors 68000

I'm getting so sick of this "flat" word that non-designers love to throw around and hype up. It's an aesthetic style, a trend, it's really not that big of a deal. Let's talk about changing the UX or functionality instead. Also, iOS 7 is not going to look like metro and isn't going to be totally "flat," it'll largely be toned down gradients, shadows, etc.
zbarvian is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2013, 09:10 AM   #23
qtaran111
macrumors member

Quote:
...so that would be Sir Ive.
No!

Acceptable:
Sir Jonathan Paul Ive
Sir Jonathan Paul
Sir Jonathan