Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Am3r1ca16

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 17, 2012
New York City
Pretty sure apple isn't going to automatically just change iOS dramatically like people have been saying. And there is no clear evidence to even support that ridiculous idea. To them Flat can mean something different than it does to you. It will be funny if iOS 7 turn out to be completely wrong from what people have rumored for the past 2 months lol

Last edited:

jbenkelman

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2009
Pretty sure apple isn't just going to automatically just make iOS just dramatically. And there is no clear evidence to even support that ridiculous idea. To them Flat can mean something different that it does to you. It will be funny if iOS 7 turn out to be completely wrong from what people have rumored for the past 2 months lol

Tim Cook said in an interview THIS WEEK that Ive would be changing the look and feel of it...in so many words. I'm pretty sure thats confirmation enough for me. We shall find out in the just over a week! Lol.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Pretty sure apple isn't just going to automatically just make iOS just dramatically. And there is no clear evidence to even support that ridiculous idea. To them Flat can mean something different that it does to you. It will be funny if iOS 7 turn out to be completely wrong from what people have rumored for the past 2 months lol

I would say who are you and what evidence do you have on the contrary?

Drunken Master

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2011
Keanu-02.jpg

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
Tim Cook said in an interview THIS WEEK that Ive would be changing the look and feel of it...in so many words. I'm pretty sure thats confirmation enough for me. We shall find out in the just over a week! Lol.

I don't think he said that! What he said is "And now after 7 months or so it has been an incredible change" referring to changes on Apple's board and who is doing what (it started with a question of changes on iOS 7 witch Tim refused to comment and then about Jonny Eve and if he has been working on iOS) I think people are just getting excited and misinterpreting his words! Of course he will use the words like "superexcited, magic, incredible" etc. What else could he say. I think Tim Cook has given no indication at all of what iOS 7 will be like. But I may be wrong... we will see in a week time.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA

That still doesn't equal this 'omg they are going to copy Metro' that a lot of folks are yelling about.

For all we know its the same grid and basically same icons without the drop shadows, gradient backgrounds etc. moving all apps to identical controls, adding more swipe etc options. And a ton of bug fixes like the wifi stuff, the music app delays etc.

A few of the things listed here wouldn't suck either

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I don't think he said that! What he said is "And now after 7 months or so it has been an incredible change" referring to changes on Apple's board and who is doing what (it started with a question of changes on iOS 7 witch Tim refused to comment and then about Jonny Eve and if he has been working on iOS) I think people are just getting excited and misinterpreting his words! Of course he will use the words like "superexcited, magic, incredible" etc. What else could he say. I think Tim Cook has given no indication at all of what iOS 7 will be like. But I may be wrong... we will see in a week time.

Cook didn't confirm if iOS would be "flat"' but he did confirm that Ive was "really key" to iOS 7 and what he was doing was "incredible".

----------

That still doesn't equal this 'omg they are going to copy Metro' that a lot of folks are yelling about.

Since its 99% certain live tiles aren't coming to iOS I'm not sure why people think it will look like Windows.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
about Jonny Eve

But sad that he is one of your own and you can't get his name right.
Jony Ive. Though in England I believe it is considered socially proper to acknowledge when a seven year CBE is fully knighted so that would be Sir Ive.

----------

Since its 99% certain live tiles aren't coming to iOS I'm not sure why people think it will look like Windows.

Because live tiles and the UI are different things

jbenkelman

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2009

I agree. I do feel like we have no idea what will be presented next week. The hype is high, and the expectations are higher...so lets hope Apple sees that bar and raises it.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
But sad that he is one of your own and you can't get his name right.
Jony Ive. Though in England I believe it is considered socially proper to acknowledge when a seven year CBE is fully knighted so that would be Sir Ive.

----------

Because live tiles and the UI are different things

Although in England, you shouldn't call someone by Sir [last name]. Either Sir Jony Ive, or Sir Jony is most appropriate here!

</grammarnazi>

;)

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
Why are everyone so dead set on the flatness being (only) graphical? To me, it makes sense to say iOS becomes flatter by making options easier accessible as well. Like a flatter structure.

Unlock, Settings, iCloud, Storage & Backup, Manage Storage, iPhone Backup. Only here can I change what I (don't) want to be backed up. It's hidden, and I can tell you I've met more than a few people who have had problems with iCloud saying there's no more space for backups, only to later realise that iCloud is backing up their entire camera roll, or GBs of offline playlists from Spotify.

To move this up a bit, or being able to add switches to the Notification Centre, would be to make iOS more flat. Am I completely off base here?

sdilley14

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2007
Mesa, AZ
I think everyone needs to stop going crazy over this and just wait and see what is revealed. To me, "flat" is a very subjective term in what it could mean in relation to an operating system. No one knows what they mean when they say the new OS is going to be "flat" or have "flat" elements to it or whatever. It could be relative to texture elements (literally making textured buttons, edges, etc. "flat"), it could be relative to colors, it could be relative to interoperability of apps and essential OS functions, or it could be a mix of some or all of those things...we don't know!

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
Pretty sure apple isn't going to automatically just change iOS dramatically like people have been saying. And there is no clear evidence to even support that ridiculous idea. To them Flat can mean something different than it does to you. It will be funny if iOS 7 turn out to be completely wrong from what people have rumored for the past 2 months lol

I hope your last sentence is true. I like the idea of a 'surprise'.

ericp99

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2013
I'd love to see a complete overhaul of iOS 7 in Ive's style. I'm a little bored of the current iOS.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
I'm getting so sick of this "flat" word that non-designers love to throw around and hype up. It's an aesthetic style, a trend, it's really not that big of a deal. Let's talk about changing the UX or functionality instead. Also, iOS 7 is not going to look like metro and isn't going to be totally "flat," it'll largely be toned down gradients, shadows, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.