Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
So why want Apple allow you to download a song from iTunes on your iphone that you have bought and downloaded before. I bought Gold Digger for my iphone 4 a long time ago. I got the iphone 5 and forgot to put it on it from computer, so I went to iTunes cause I was not near my computer. iTunes says I purchased the song, but want let me download it. Why? The App Store lets you download old purchases again.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
If you subcribe to iTunes Match it will let you. Otherwise download it into iTunes on your computer and add it to the phone. It's a little more hassle, but it adds a feature to those who pay for Match.

Personally I love Match. Added a lot of old CD's and having the ability to stream them on any iDevice now is slick. Purchased tunes are an added bonus, but the real deal is with all the old music I no longer have to sync. For the $2 a month it costs it's well worth it (especially if you have unlimited data).

Although now my phone is 60GB of pics/vids and apps instead lol...

bmac4

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
If you subcribe to iTunes Match it will let you. Otherwise download it into iTunes on your computer and add it to the phone. It's a little more hassle, but it adds a feature to those who pay for Match.

Personally I love Match. Added a lot of old CD's and having the ability to stream them on any iDevice now is slick. Purchased tunes are an added bonus, but the real deal is with all the old music I no longer have to sync. For the $2 a month it costs it's well worth it (especially if you have unlimited data).

Although now my phone is 60GB of pics/vids and apps instead lol...

Yea I always wondered why they did this. Was this something they did after they added match or have they never allowed you to download purchased music from iTunes?

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
Yea I always wondered why they did this. Was this something they did after they added match or have they never allowed you to download purchased music from iTunes?

I believe it has always been that way from iDevices. You were never able to re-download stuff prior to Match AFAIK. Match brought the feature that they frankly should have always had I agree, but at leats it brought it (and not at much cost considering everything else you get).

I'll pay the $25 every year. It's a killer feature if you have 30+GB of music and would rather just stream (especially if you have unlimited data, like I said =)).

bmac4

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
I believe it has always been that way from iDevices. You were never able to re-download stuff prior to Match AFAIK. Match brought the feature that they frankly should have always had I agree, but at leats it brought it (and not at much cost considering everything else you get).

I'll pay the $25 every year. It's a killer feature if you have 30+GB of music and would rather just stream (especially if you have unlimited data, like I said =)).

Thanks for the info.

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
So why want Apple allow you to download a song from iTunes on your iphone that you have bought and downloaded before. I bought Gold Digger for my iphone 4 a long time ago. I got the iphone 5 and forgot to put it on it from computer, so I went to iTunes cause I was not near my computer. iTunes says I purchased the song, but want let me download it. Why? The App Store lets you download old purchases again.

Im confused. I redownload purchased songs all the time and I dont have match. I just go click on the song in the store that is no longer in my library, it shows that it will cost money but after it realizes I bought it before it turns to just download instead of purchase.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
Im confused. I redownload purchased songs all the time and I dont have match. I just go click on the song in the store that is no longer in my library, it shows that it will cost money but after it realizes I bought it before it turns to just download instead of purchase.

Are you on your computer or idevice? I am talking about not being able to do it on my iphone.

It looks like this.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370049461.806145.jpg

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around

I can download music I bought also on my iPhone and I don't iTunes Match either.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
I can download music I bought also on my iPhone and I don't iTunes Match either.

So if you go to a song that you have previously downloaded, but you deleted it from your phone. You can go back into iTunes and download it again? Look at the picture that I posted. I had bought gold digger a long time ago and forgot to put it back on my phone. Now it want let me download it again. It just has that purchased button that want let you press it.

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
So if you go to a song that you have previously downloaded, but you deleted it from your phone. You can go back into iTunes and download it again? Look at the picture that I posted. I had bought gold digger a long time ago and forgot to put it back on my phone. Now it want let me download it again. It just has that purchased button that want let you press it.

I think your purchases are listed separately. Hit the more icon in the bottom right of iTunes then hit purchased. From there you should be able to download your old purchases.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
I think your purchases are listed separately. Hit the more icon in the bottom right of iTunes then hit purchased. From there you should be able to download your old purchases.

Oh nice thanks. Never knew that.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around

I go into Itunes, then at the bottom under "more" Then "Purchased" and from there is will list Music, Movies, TV shows.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
To clarify, this feature has nothing to do with iTunes Match.

It's called "iTunes in the Cloud"* - it lets you re-download (for free) most purchases from the iTunes Store, including Music and Videos.

Some content cannot be re-downloaded.

*Which also means it has nothing to do with iCloud. The three things are entirely separate, despite some of the marketing linking these things together.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
Just make jure you are doing it from the "purchased" music section as it appears (I tried it) that it WILL allow you to re-purchase a song you already have if you do it from the store.

This may be an instance of there being multiple versions/album versions of the same exact song, but to be safe it appears that there IS a way to do it after all, from purchased music though, in iTunes (on the phone).

Cool to know. I still like Match, but it worked without it on my wife's phone. Good catch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.