Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old May 31, 2013, 09:28 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Teardown of New 16 GB iPod Touch Reveals Few Internal Changes

With Apple's new 16 GB iPod touch becoming available today, the teardown experts at iFixit have taken the device apart in an effort to determine how it differs internally from its larger-capacity siblings. The 16 GB model lacks the rear camera and support for Apple's Loop wrist strap, so iFixit wanted to see how those changes affected the layout of the device's components.

Comparison of original fifth-generation iPod touch (left) and new 16 GB model (right)
(Rear camera would be located at top right corner)
In the area of where the rear camera would be, the new iPod touch has a small void, while some of the flex cables have also been rerouted slightly. In addition, with the microphone no longer needing to be on the back of the device near a camera, it has been moved to the top edge of the device. Otherwise, the layout of components is the same as in other fifth-generation iPod touch models.

The logic board also appears nearly identical to the ones in the larger-capacity iPod touch models, housing all of the same chips with the exception of 16 GB of flash memory rather than 32 GB or 64 GB. The logic board also has a blank spot where the connector for the rear camera cable would have been.
Quote:
With the exception of the flash memory, it appears that the ICs on the 16 GB model's logic board are the same as those found on the 32 and 64 GB models:

- Apple A5 dual-core processor, with 4 Gb (512 MB) of Mobile DDR2 RAM.
- Toshiba THGBX2G7B2JLA01 128 Gb (16 GB) NAND flash
- Apple 3381064 dialog power management IC (similar to the Apple 338S1131)
- Murata 339S0171 Wi-Fi module
- Broadcom BCM5976 touchscreen controller
- STMicroelectronics low-power, three-axis gyroscope (AGD3/2229/E5GEK)
- Apple 338S1116 and 338S1077 Cirrus Audio Codec
Comparison of original fifth-generation iPod touch (left) and new 16 GB model (right)
(Post for wrist strap would be located at bottom right corner)
Finally, at the bottom of the device, the new iPod touch similarly contains a void where the post for attaching the Loop wrist strap would be. Apple has used the same speaker design as in the larger-capacity models, carrying a curved edge that wraps around the Loop post in those models.

Apple's new 16 GB iPod touch is priced at $229, with the addition allowing Apple to discontinue the fourth-generation iPod touch models it had continued selling at $199 (16 GB) and $249 (32 GB) alongside the more expensive fifth-generation models introduced late last year.

Article Link: Teardown of New 16 GB iPod Touch Reveals Few Internal Changes
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2013, 09:32 PM   #2
Baklava
macrumors 6502

This iPod seems to be a sneak peek to the low-cost iPhone.
Old May 31, 2013, 09:33 PM   #3
furi0usbee
macrumors 6502a

Seems dumb to me remove the camera, especially when everyone uses these devices now as a main camera. In terms of quality of products, I don't know why Apple would want to make a product less functional on purpose. Is this a case of removing the backlit keyboard in the Air, then hearing it from the customers, then putting backlit keys back in?

Any money Apple could save by removing a cheap camera seems to not even make a dent in their profits, so this move is strange. Do they plan on taking the camera out of the low-end iPhone as well?

Now I'm not confident in a retina display for my iPad mini...

Bryan
Old May 31, 2013, 09:36 PM   #4
racer1441
macrumors 68000

Love this thing! The colors are gaudy, and who uses their music player to take pictures.

i'll be getting one for sure. Not even sure i need it, but just love the design.
racer1441 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2013, 09:57 PM   #5
DisMyMac
macrumors 65816

720p video..... woop-dee-duh.

I bet they made this specifically to upsell folks to an iPhone. Kind of like movie theaters selling "Small" sizes of popcorn... they know nobody buys that!!
DisMyMac is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2013, 09:57 PM   #6
SnowLeopard2008
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to SnowLeopard2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by furi0usbee View Post
Seems dumb to me remove the camera, especially when everyone uses these devices now as a main camera. In terms of quality of products, I don't know why Apple would want to make a product less functional on purpose. Is this a case of removing the backlit keyboard in the Air, then hearing it from the customers, then putting backlit keys back in?

Any money Apple could save by removing a cheap camera seems to not even make a dent in their profits, so this move is strange. Do they plan on taking the camera out of the low-end iPhone as well?

Bryan
Cameras aren't cheap. There's also the fact that the iPod touch camera isn't some cheap bargain bin part with poor quality. And there's probably licensing fees for stuff too. It's not just about cost of component.
Old May 31, 2013, 10:11 PM   #7
mac jones
macrumors 68040

I was having a hell of a time yesterday.

I decided I wanted an iPod touch. (I haven't been in the market for them for several years, but I vaguely know about the present models).

So I go on Ebay and do a search for 5th gen models. Fine, nothing unusual there. I then go to Amazon, where i started getting into trouble.

They had listings for 4th gen models they called (current) and 5th gen they call (newest). Yikes! no biggie though, i'll just go to Apple and check models.

Well, I go to the Apple site and they have a 16GB model on the front page as 'New' . At this point i'm totally lost, I haven't a clue.

By the time I figure out what is what i've lost interest.

Thank you Apple for saving me money.
mac jones is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2013, 10:15 PM   #8
komodrone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by furi0usbee View Post

Bryan
camera isn't cheap
adding a camera on 16gb would cannibalize 32gb sales which has a much higher profit margin.
komodrone is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2013, 10:17 PM   #9
alphaod
macrumors Core

Not a surprising development at all.

I imagine Apple would want to slowly, but surely phase out all the older parts one-by-one.

This was the natural step. What I would really like to see if a high capacity flash-based iPod [classic].
Old May 31, 2013, 10:21 PM   #10
SchneiderMan
macrumors 604

Obviously...
Old May 31, 2013, 10:32 PM   #11
iisdan
macrumors regular

This ipod is Not a good move for apple but i wasn't expecting any changes to the internal ****...
iisdan is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2013, 10:46 PM   #12
Tankmaze
macrumors 65816

the question is, why don't they do this earlier. launch it along side the one with camera.

this gimp ipod touch really convince me that apple will introduce the low cost iphones.
Old May 31, 2013, 10:52 PM   #13
lotzosushi
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac jones View Post

I decided I wanted an iPod touch. (I haven't been in the market for them for several years, but I vaguely know about the present models).

So I go on Ebay and do a search for 5th gen models. Fine, nothing unusual there. I then go to Amazon, where i started getting into trouble.

They had listings for 4th gen models they called (current) and 5th gen they call (newest). Yikes! no biggie though, i'll just go to Apple and check models.

Well, I go to the Apple site and they have a 16GB model on the front page as 'New' . At this point i'm totally lost, I haven't a clue.

Um, not Apple's fault at all... don't blame them. Your first mistake is relying on eBay and Amazon for correct descriptions. Why didn't you start on Apple's site first? Second, seeing you've been on MacRumors since 2006 you should know there's a special tab just for the current models of every Apple product and info about when you should and shouldn't buy them. See their Buyer's Guide.

Also for future reference, MacTracker is a great source to find out about the history and tech details about every Apple product ever made.

Hope that helps.
lotzosushi is offline   20 Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2013, 10:52 PM   #14
Bubba Satori
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer1441 View Post
i'll be getting one for sure. Not even sure i need it...
The iconic Apple customer.
Bubba Satori is offline   25 Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2013, 11:00 PM   #15
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Boy doesn't take iFixit long to tear down Apple devices. Are they as obsessed with taking apart other companies devices?
Old May 31, 2013, 11:13 PM   #16
rgarjr
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
Boy doesn't take iFixit long to tear down Apple devices. Are they as obsessed with taking apart other companies devices?
They have been known to be the 1st ones to tear them guts out of shiny devices.
rgarjr is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2013, 11:25 PM   #17
mac jones
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotzosushi View Post
Um, not Apple's fault at all... don't blame them. Your first mistake is relying on eBay and Amazon for correct descriptions. Why didn't you start on Apple's site first? Second, seeing you've been on MacRumors since 2006 you should know there's a special tab just for the current models of every Apple product and info about when you should and shouldn't buy them. See their Buyer's Guide.

Also for future reference, MacTracker is a great source to find out about the history and tech details about every Apple product ever made.

Hope that helps.
Thanks for the tips.

True, and true. They make it a simple as possible....really easy
Even a dead stump wouldn't have a problem.

Anyway, my post was misleading. It wasn't that, that changed my mind at all (I was kidding). I decided that the screen is just too small. I looked at my iPhone and just don't want to go there. There's the iPad mini now that is a killer size.
mac jones is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2013, 11:33 PM   #18
twoodcc
macrumors P6

Send a message via AIM to twoodcc Send a message via MSN to twoodcc
i'm glad Apple decided to do this, i just wish it was $199
Old May 31, 2013, 11:40 PM   #19
commander.data
macrumors 6502a

Looks like the same APL8942 32nm A5 is used. With the silent 3rd Apple TV refresh earlier this year not being the 28nm Samsung or TSMC test vehicle, I thought this 16GB 5th gen iPod Touch might have been, but I guess not. There aren't really any other low volume products Apple could use to shrink an existing A series processor to trial a new 28nm process between now and September when the next iPhone would presumably use it. I wonder if that means Apple's going to take the risk of jumping directly into high volume production with a new SoC and a new process? Unless Apple isn't planning on switching fab processes and/or making major changes to the SoC design this year, which seems unlikely.
commander.data is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2013, 11:42 PM   #20
bkushner
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoodcc View Post
i'm glad Apple decided to do this, i just wish it was $199
Go mow your neighbors lawn tomorrow for the extra 30$. Or wash your mom's car.
bkushner is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2013, 11:47 PM   #21
Chocolatemilty
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by commander.data View Post
Looks like the same APL8942 32nm A5 is used. With the silent 3rd Apple TV refresh earlier this year not being the 28nm Samsung or TSMC test vehicle, I thought this 16GB 5th gen iPod Touch might have been, but I guess not. There aren't really any other low volume products Apple could use to shrink an existing A series processor to trial a new 28nm process between now and September when the next iPhone would presumably use it. I wonder if that means Apple's going to take the risk of jumping directly into high volume production with a new SoC and a new process? Unless Apple isn't planning on switching fab processes and/or making major changes to the SoC design this year, which seems unlikely.
I wonder this as well. I guess they'll pretty secure in their new process that they won't need to trial it? Time will tell. I believe I may be waiting until Christmas for a 5S, as I'll like some reviews with the new chip and everything first. Expecting it to be great, but you never know...
Old Jun 1, 2013, 12:40 AM   #22
iSayuSay
macrumors 68030

About time.. The 4th gen iPod was a horrible device. Horrible display, low RAM and putrid A4 SoC.

Meanwhile the 5th iPod Touch is sweet device putting iPhone 4s a run for the money.
iSayuSay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2013, 12:58 AM   #23
Xiroteus
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer1441 View Post
Love this thing! The colors are gaudy, and who uses their music player to take pictures.

i'll be getting one for sure. Not even sure i need it, but just love the design.
The camera matters depending what else one has, if I did not have an iPhone I would want an iPod touch with the latest camera. If one has an iPhone there is no need for this.

Quote:
That was fast.

Not something you wanted all that much to loose interest that quickly.
Xiroteus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2013, 01:47 AM   #24
Skika
macrumors 68020

Quote:

Wow, life must be a real struggle for you.
Old Jun 1, 2013, 01:50 AM   #25
testcard
macrumors 65816

I'm liking the idea of these new voids. iVoids?
testcard is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion