Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DS9058416

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 1, 2013
Hi,
I accidentally dropped my laptop bag in my car and bent the corner of my MBA 13".
I can't go to Apple Store until Tuesday and it's killing me trying to guess how much it may be.

Do you have any idea \ experience with something similar?

Many thanks :)

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 2,306
Last edited:

Ripmax2000

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2005
I'm afraid it will be a lot. Apple don't do display housing replacements for the unibody commuters, so you have to buy a whole new display. Repair price would be the same if you'd cracked the screen.

Kind of a scam, as they will charge you for a replacement screen, then refurb your your broken one and reuse the LCD.

Your probably better off just leaving it.

kevinbal

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2006
Storrs, CT
Yeah, that sucks. I did the exact same thing (bag was on my shoulder, getting out of my car and it slid off)... except I slightly bent the front corner.

I just chalk it up as a $150 mistake when I go to resell and upgrade. *sigh*

TheRealDamager

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2011
That's pretty minimal - does it affect the opening or closing of the screen in any way? If not, why would you bother fixing it?

Ripmax2000

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2005
Hardly. :rolleyes:

OP - If your MBA closes, leave it alone.

It is a scam, think about it. Apple charge you for an entire display assembly, which includes the LCD. But they take your slightly bent display use that LCD for another repair.

Understandable if you had to pay that amount because you cracked the screen, but if Apple are reusing the LCD why should you have to pay for it.

Anyway, we can't change that. OP, check if your credit card insures you for it. If their excess isn't too large, that might be worth it.

TC25

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2011
It is a scam, think about it. Apple charge you for an entire display assembly, which includes the LCD. But they take your slightly bent display use that LCD for another repair.

And you know exactly what's involved in separating the LCD from the frame and who does it and where they are located? :rolleyes:

xxnoelziexx

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2009
Yes Apple will charge you for the whole entire display assembly as mentioned. I went to the Philippines over Christmas and new year and when I came back I noticed a scratch on the screen and Apple quoted me £400 to change the display.

I was expecting to see the old one in a box as apart from a little scratch it was perfect a Samsung screen too. I went ahead with the repair as it was my fault and I have bad OCD. I couldn't request a Samsung screen as they only have one part for the display assembly in the UK luckily when I checked the repair in the store terminal told me it was a Samsung screen again :)

DS9058416

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 1, 2013
Thanks everyone, just came back from Apple store, $450 for the part + installation (I passed out on their desk so I don't remember the installation price, sorry...).

Anyway, yea, I'm just gonna forget about that.

Ripmax2000

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2005
And you know exactly what's involved in separating the LCD from the frame and who does it and where they are located? :rolleyes:

It's actually not too hard to separate the LCD from the frame, there are plenty of non authorised repairers that will do it for you fairly cheap (not that I'm recommending this route, just pointing out it isn't hard).

You can't possibly think it's fair to charge the same whether the screen is broken, or screen is totally reusable and housing is just a bit bent can you?

TC25

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2011
You can't possibly think it's fair to charge the same whether the screen is broken, or screen is totally reusable and housing is just a bit bent can you?

I am suggesting there may be valid reasons for what Apple charges.

Even if there isn't, that's what they charge. Whining about what's fair is a waste of time and energy. It has nothing to do with fairness.

The OP has three choices;

1. Pay Apple.
2. Take it somewhere else.
3. Live with it.

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
If you have a warranty repair, the replaced parts become property of Apple. On the other hand if you have to pay for the repair yourself, it should be possible to demand the replaced pieces back, since you pay for the new pieces. I'm not sure if Apple would give the parts back, did anyone ever try?

@OP
It doesn't look too bad... stuff happens, be more careful in the future ;)

xxnoelziexx

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2009
If you have a warranty repair, the replaced parts become property of Apple. On the other hand if you have to pay for the repair yourself, it should be possible to demand the replaced pieces back, since you pay for the new pieces. I'm not sure if Apple would give the parts back, did anyone ever try?

@OP
It doesn't look too bad... stuff happens, be more careful in the future ;)

There terms and conditions do actually say they will keep parts which is a shame.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Something similar to that happened to my old MBP. A while later I took it in for a broken fan and was told it would cost $1299 to fix it. The computer was under warranty too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.