Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video

Old Jun 2, 2013, 12:19 AM   #1
gga
macrumors newbie

VHS to Digital

Hello,

I once bought a Kworld USB tuner stick to capture some videos I had on tape. At the time I was using Windows.

Now I would like to use the same device but with my MacBookPro instead. I've been trying to use VideoGlide but couldn't make it work yet.

Does anyone know if it's possible or I'll have to buy a new device compatible? Is there a better software to work with?

Kworld
USB Hybrid Tuner Stick
UB430-AF
gga is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2013, 02:30 PM   #2
darthraige
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by gga View Post
Hello,

I once bought a Kworld USB tuner stick to capture some videos I had on tape. At the time I was using Windows.

Now I would like to use the same device but with my MacBookPro instead. I've been trying to use VideoGlide but couldn't make it work yet.

Does anyone know if it's possible or I'll have to buy a new device compatible? Is there a better software to work with?

Kworld
USB Hybrid Tuner Stick
UB430-AF
Back in the day when I was transferring all my VHS tapes, I used this:

Sony DVMC DA2

Worked flawlessly with Final Cut Pro. The output is mini Firewire to Firewire 400. But I'm sure you can use other alternatives. At the time, this box was $300. There may be other USB versions out there.

16GB iPad Mini Retina
darthraige is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2013, 05:42 PM   #3
ChrisA
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gga View Post
Hello,

I once bought a Kworld USB tuner stick to capture some videos I had on tape. At the time I was using Windows....
One of the best ways to convert old tapes is if you happen to have an old DV camera. These will have a Firewire cable that goes to the computer and many times also a "Video In RCA jack" The camera can run in passthrough mode. The DV format is good because each frame standalone andhas way more than enough resolution to hold VHS tapes.
ChrisA is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video