Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What Photo Storage/Editing App do you use?

• iPhoto

Votes: 10 66.7%
  • Aperture

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Adobe Bridge

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Adobe Lightroom

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 13.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

wobegong

Original poster
May 29, 2012
There have been lost of discussions on browsers for PPC but I'm interested to see what people are using to store (and maybe light edit) their photo's.

I've been using Aperture v2 which I'm quite happy with but now of course there is disparity between the version on my MBP and my PM, I may have missed some options from the poll but what do you use and why did you settle on that product?

Myself I dabbled with Adobe Bridge which I found a bit confusing, iPhoto isn't flexible enough for me though I think it's an excellent home user app but wish there was something a little more current.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I store most of my pics in the Pictures folder. Sometimes I use iPhoto, but rarely.

To edit, depending on the Mac it's either Photoshop CS2/Preview or Photoshop CS4.

wobegong

Original poster
May 29, 2012
I use iPhoto Library Manager if I need to pull in an album from iPhoto'11 on my laptop (I use both iPhoto and Aperture here and share the library) to iPhoto'08 on my G5 - the rebuild option downgrades the library but keeps everything intact - I can then pull it into Aperture 2.

Use PS CS4 occasionally but can get by with Aperture for most touch ups.

Use the Flickr plugin to export direct from Aperture 2 to my Flickr account.

Dane D.

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2004
ohio
Photoshop, have versions 5.5 to CS2 installed on home rig. Never use iPhoto, geared toward the layman, the non-professional. I like to have total control of my files and Photoshop gives me that. All the other apps are for non-professionals. The amateurs are clueless about images. I'm a production artist and photographer, anything other than Photoshop is lame.

seveej

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2009
Helsinki, Finland
Hah, the Finder. No troubles ever with compatibility. Copy, move, paste, into another folder or iTunes library, it's all good.

Same here.

That is, my base archive is based on files and folders:
<YEAR>
-- Shoot (Description and Date)

etc, but some major gigs may further be in Aperture, with files in orig. locations.

Basically, there are two reasons for this (although either one might be sufficient):
1# Compatibility - cross platform and forwards and backwards.
2# I admit I feel quite uncomfortable with all solutions out there (and I've basically tried my way through them). My workflow is files and folders -based, and I don't appreciate it when some system wants to jump on top of that and perverts my workflow.

But YMMV, and I'm basically an early adopter-luddite. Go figure.

Do you edit them with notepad as well ;)

Single pics are edited in PS, whole shoots/gigs get a treatment with Aperture.

RGDS,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.