Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

henrybarnett

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2010
France
I have this error message with Thunderbird.:

“Unable to open the summary file for imap:server.orange.fr. Perhaps there was an error on disk, or the full path is too long.”

If I try to get my mail I get “The imap:server.orange.fr” is not responding.”

At first I thought it was Thunderbird. I tried everything that was suggested on the forums then decided to install first “Opera” then I tried “Mail” already installed on my iMac. There I got “The imap:server.gmail.com” is not responding.” trying to add a new account.

Basically I am getting the same problem across all email clients and all accounts. Pop and Imap.

I saw a forum for gmail (one of my accounts is a gmail one and gmail uses IMAP) where a Google rep replied and finally said what we should do but added: “If it is a problem across all email clients and all IMAP servers then it is something else. Have a nice day”

I tried my PC and I have no problem downloading my emails.

Conclusion: It is not the IMAP servers. It is not Thunderbird and Mail and Opera together. It is not my ISP. It is not my adsl/broadband box.

It must be a MacOS problem. We did have a few storms locally and the iMac was shut down but it is surge protected twice. Apart from the problem I describe everything else seems to be fine.

Has anyone got any ideas. Have 10.8.3

henrybarnett

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2010
France
When I started to set up "Mail" the first account was a gmail one. It came back with the 'imap.server.gmail is not responding. So the answer is yes.

The Pc next to me is getting my emails no problem.

Thanks for that v quick reply.

Henry

----------

BTW this error seems to have been around some years!

Nov 28, 2010
located
When I started to set up "Mail" the first account was a gmail one. It came back with the 'imap.server.gmail is not responding. So the answer is yes.

The Pc next to me is getting my emails no problem.

Thanks for that v quick reply.

Henry

----------

BTW this error seems to have been around some years!

Sorry, meant to try a different user account in Mac OS X via System Preferences > Accounts / Users & Groups. Maybe it is a setting in YOUR Library, maybe it is system wide.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Try in a new User Account, if it is working there your normal User Account is the problem, if not it is System wide, if that is the case reset network settings by moving the next folder to the Desktop and then restart.

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration

henrybarnett

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2010
France
I tried in a new user account. Tried to set up 3 accounts TB rejected all three passwords. They were 100% ok! Mail gave me the imap server not responding.

So "... it is System wide, if that is the case reset network settings by moving the next folder to the Desktop and then restart."

Can you be a bit more specific as I am not sure what you mean. Which next folder?

Thanks continue....

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I tried in a new user account. Tried to set up 3 accounts TB rejected all three passwords. They were 100% ok! Mail gave me the imap server not responding.

So "... it is System wide, if that is the case reset network settings by moving the next folder to the Desktop and then restart."

Can you be a bit more specific as I am not sure what you mean. Which next folder?

Thanks continue....

Try in a new User Account, if it is working there your normal User Account is the problem, if not it is System wide, if that is the case reset network settings by moving the next folder to the Desktop and then restart.

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration

The answer I already gave in my last post, the bolded one.

If that still does not work a manual download and reapply of 10.8.3 COMBO might do the job, needs to be the combo updater!

henrybarnett

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2010
France
Sorry. Opened Library/Preferences but can not see system configuration anywhere.

Going to update 10.8.3 COMBO

Last edited:

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Sorry. Opened Library/Preferences but can not see system configuration anywhere.

Maybe you got the wrong Library, it is there.
The main Library at the root level, not your User Library.

Click Go in Finders Menu Bar, go to folder and type /Library/Preferences

Edit: It will reset all network preferences.

henrybarnett

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2010
France
Folder not found!

Screen shot.jpg

And there is no "system configuration"folder to be seen

Last edited:

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Folder not found!

And there is no "system configuration"folder to be seen

Ah, I think I know why, you are French?
If so it is probably a different name, now, I don't know French so you have to figure it out yourself, but believe me, there is a folder like that.

You can also enable invisible files by opening Terminal, then paste the below command:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles True
Hit Enter
killall Finder
Hit Enter

To reverse this command:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles False
Hit Enter
killall Finder
Hit Enter

henrybarnett

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2010
France
I am actually English and the OS is in English too.

If it were in French it would still be in the same alphabetical order. I'm going out to play in the sunshine as we haven't had any for 2 months. I'll report back later. Thanks for all your help so far.

I'm changing my profile as I love the "Near the upside down Volacano" :)

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I am actually English and the OS is in English too.

If it were in French it would still be in the same alphabetical order. I'm going out to play in the sunshine as we haven't had any for 2 months. I'll report back later. Thanks for all your help so far.

I'm changing my profile as I love the "Near the upside down Volacano" :)

Ok, if it is in English it's got to be there, it's been there for years on different OS X versions.

Very near, and a bit active at the moment as well.:eek:

henrybarnett

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2010
France
The sun went in :(

Found it. Macintosh HD/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguraion

Is the "Next" folder "CaptiveNetworkSupport" and is that the folder I should drag to the desktop then restart?

Sorry to ask s many questions but I want to get it right !

Here's what's in the folder:

Untitled 2.jpg

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Fort Lauderdale, FL
The sun went in :(

Found it. Macintosh HD/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguraion

Is the "Next" folder "CaptiveNetworkSupport" and is that the folder I should drag to the desktop then restart?

Sorry to ask s many questions but I want to get it right !

Here's what's in the folder:

Just move the system configuration folder to the desktop.

henrybarnett

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2010
France
Absolutely. Felt like someone had put a litre of oil in a rusty old engine and it coughed and said "I feel like a new man".

Thanks a lot. Henry

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.