Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jun 3, 2013, 05:11 AM   #1
JMEANS
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
MP4 files that skip?

So I have a few MP4 that for whatever reason when imported into iTunes skip or better description would be stutter along when playing in iTunes and are basically unwatchable : (

The quality of the file is great just doesn't play properly, any known culprit you can think of that would cause suck an issue?

After dropping into 'file info' software the audio looks normal but the video info reads AVC even though the file has the .mp4 extension, that right? Thanks Jim
JMEANS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2013, 05:19 AM   #2
SandboxGeneral
Moderator
 
SandboxGeneral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Rigel IV
I assume that the files play just fine in another player before going into iTunes right?

Any change of ripping them again and directly into iTunes?
__________________
It's true, we are aliens. But what are you going to do about it? It's a two-party system. You have to vote for one of us.
SandboxGeneral is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2013, 07:33 AM   #3
JMEANS
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Yes perfectly fine in VLC. ITunes certainly imports them due to the mp4 container, but somewhere along the line within the file there is a factor that doesn't contain complete mp4/ iTunes compatibility.... Weird

On another note what is AVC video file?
JMEANS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2013, 08:02 AM   #4
SandboxGeneral
Moderator
 
SandboxGeneral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Rigel IV
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMEANS View Post
On another note what is AVC video file?
H.264/MPEG-4 AVC
Quote:
H.264/MPEG-4 Part 10 or AVC (Advanced Video Coding) is a standard for video compression, and is currently one of the most commonly used formats for the recording, compression, and distribution of high definition video. The final drafting work on the first version of the standard was completed in May 2003.
H.264/MPEG-4 AVC is a block-oriented motion-compensation-based codec standard developed by the ITU-T Video Coding Experts Group (VCEG) together with the ISO/IEC JTC1 Moving Picture Experts Group (MPEG). The project partnership effort is known as the Joint Video Team (JVT). The ITU-T H.264 standard and the ISO/IEC MPEG-4 AVC standard (formally, ISO/IEC 14496-10 MPEG-4 Part 10, Advanced Video Coding) are jointly maintained so that they have identical technical content.
H.264 is perhaps best known as being one of the codec standards for Blu-ray Discs; all Blu-ray Disc players must be able to decode H.264. It is also widely used by streaming internet sources, such as videos from Vimeo, YouTube, and the iTunes Store, web software such as the Adobe Flash Player and Microsoft Silverlight, and also various HDTV broadcasts over terrestrial (ATSC, ISDB-T, DVB-T or DVB-T2), cable (DVB-C) and satellite (DVB-S and DVB-S2).
__________________
It's true, we are aliens. But what are you going to do about it? It's a two-party system. You have to vote for one of us.
SandboxGeneral is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2013, 08:55 AM   #5
JMEANS
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Thanks pretty much what I thought with AVC, however with the file stutter, my best guess is an audio thing, I will run it thru Mp4Tools and add a 2 channel track?
JMEANS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2013, 07:59 PM   #6
Mackan
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Try play it QuickTime X. The iTunes player has always been horrible for me.
Mackan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2013, 05:05 AM   #7
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMEANS View Post
Thanks pretty much what I thought with AVC, however with the file stutter, my best guess is an audio thing, I will run it thru Mp4Tools and add a 2 channel track?
Can you upload the shortest of them somewhere (e.g., copy.com - it has 20 GB free) so that we take a look?
Menneisyys2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 03:14 PM   #8
JMEANS
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menneisyys2 View Post
Can you upload the shortest of them somewhere (e.g., copy.com - it has 20 GB free) so that we take a look?
Thanks for asking, but all i can do is send along this direct info from the file. This is after i ran the .avi file thru MP4Tools adding a 2 channel audio and changing the container to .mv4

Again it plays fine in VLC and can import to iTunes, however when it plays in iTunes it stutters a long...

I have changed containers with many files I haven't Handbreaked myself and have had success, however some are picky like this one. Thanks again for any help you can send my way - Jim


JMEANS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 04:56 PM   #9
Idgit
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMEANS View Post
Thanks for asking, but all i can do is send along this direct info from the file. This is after i ran the .avi file thru MP4Tools adding a 2 channel audio and changing the container to .mv4

Again it plays fine in VLC and can import to iTunes, however when it plays in iTunes it stutters a long...
Your MP4 does not contain a h.264 video file. It looks like it's an Xvid-encoded Mpeg-4 file. I suspect that is the source of your problem. Transcode it with Handbrake (with audio passthrough).

Last edited by Idgit; Jun 6, 2013 at 05:02 PM.
Idgit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 05:06 PM   #10
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idgit View Post
Your MP4 does not contain a h.264 video file. It looks like it's an Xvid-encoded Mpeg-4 file. I suspect that is the source of your problem. Transcode it with Handbrake (with audio passthrough).
Yup, it's Xvid, this is why there are problems.
Menneisyys2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 06:32 PM   #11
JMEANS
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
thanks everyone

but crap : ( really didnt want to handbreak (transcode) a movie that has all ready been transcoded, quality will be reduced i suspect.
JMEANS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 06:36 PM   #12
Idgit
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
It's already a high bitrate file, so I wouldn't worry about quality loss. Set Handbrake to RF18 and the difference will be negligible.

Or, given that your file is a Scene torrent, download a proper h.264/x264 BluRay rip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMEANS View Post
but crap : ( really didnt want to handbreak (transcode) a movie that has all ready been transcoded, quality will be reduced i suspect.
Idgit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 06:40 PM   #13
dynaflash
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMEANS View Post
thanks everyone

but crap : ( really didnt want to handbreak (transcode) a movie that has all ready been transcoded, quality will be reduced i suspect.
Yes, it will. but depending on what settings you use ... it is possible to reduce quality but have it all but visually undetectable depending on your source and settings. While I don't want to get into the semantics of what you can or cannot see ... it is possible *usually* (there again depending on source) to get a decent transcode to where you basically can not tell the difference with the naked eye.

However it looks like you have an xvid (divx) video track ... that does not bode well as they kind of suck to begin with ... pardon the expression.

While its outside the scope of this post ... video transcoding is a bit of a shell game when it comes to quality loss ... you can lose quality in places where the human eye has a hard time detecting it. If done properly ... you will never notice .. and frankly who cares about quality loss that you can't detect ? I know I don't. It may show up in some ssim or psnr number from the encoder but frankly typically that does not please the human eye.

Last edited by dynaflash; Jun 6, 2013 at 06:47 PM.
dynaflash is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 07:13 PM   #14
JMEANS
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
thanks guys, very familiar with HB and the ins and outs, i usually rip my own collection of blu's etc but i am finding HD versions of films like GHOSTBUSTERS 2 and JAWS 2 etc that have not yet been released on Blu, so i go looking on PB for HDTV captures such as this file to get an HD copy.

I will try HB and see if i notice a significant change and honestly I usually dont, my concern mainly was not wanting to reduce the file size any.

thanks again
JMEANS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2013, 08:52 AM   #15
mic j
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynaflash View Post
.. and frankly who cares about quality loss that you can't detect ? I know I don't. It may show up in some ssim or psnr number from the encoder but frankly typically that does not please the human eye.
I think you may have opened a can of worms with that statement, Dynaflash!

But I totally agree and wish we would get past this "anything that is not a bit-for-bit copy is unacceptable to watch". That approach causes a lot of people to spend a lot more time and money getting their movies on their media players than is necessary.
__________________
17" MBP '09, 2.66 GHz, 8GB RAM; 13" MBP (Retina) '12, 2.5GHz, 8GB RAM; iPad 2, 32GB; iPhone 5s; AE; AppleTV 3; AEBS w 1TB Seagate HDD; 65" Mits DLP, Sony STR-DB1070 AVR
mic j is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2013, 04:26 PM   #16
dynaflash
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by mic j View Post
I think you may have opened a can of worms with that statement, Dynaflash!

But I totally agree and wish we would get past this "anything that is not a bit-for-bit copy is unacceptable to watch". That approach causes a lot of people to spend a lot more time and money getting their movies on their media players than is necessary.
I thought the same thing right after I posted it. oh well in this case with an xvid video track there isn't much choice as remuxing is not an option if I understand the situation correctly.
dynaflash is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to Join Mp4 Video Files? 2012Tony2012 Mac Applications and Mac App Store 12 Apr 24, 2014 03:01 AM
Optimizing mp4/m4v files MoodyM Apple TV and Home Theater 10 Jan 20, 2014 09:06 AM
Delete mp4 files robo44 iMac 0 Mar 1, 2013 07:23 AM
Mp4: can't skip frames, forward a few seconds Quotenfrau Digital Video 0 Aug 18, 2012 10:28 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:09 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC