Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

justperry

macrumors G5
Original poster
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I have Windows 7 on my Apple/Mini as so many people here, what I don't understand is that the Macintosh HD is visible in Computer yet an External HD formatted the same as the internal isn't visible.

Any people here have any idea why this is?

I know I can install MacDrive to make it R/W but I just find it odd that it isn't visible.
The drive is connected with Firewire, didn't look in Hardware on Windows yet, might be the Firewire driver although I doubt it.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
It probably can't mount because it doesn't recognize the format. That is USB drives a more sensitive and while the internal drive is mounted you cannot access it because windows doesn't have the drivers (hence the need for macdrive as you know)

FWIW, that happens to me as well.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
It probably has something to do with the partition table more than anything else. How many partitions do you have on the external and which partition map is it using GPT/MBR or APM?

Boot Camp is a weird hybrid of GPT and MBR on most systems, this is probably not how your external is partitioned.

B

justperry

macrumors G5
Original poster
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
It probably has something to do with the partition table more than anything else. How many partitions do you have on the external and which partition map is it using GPT/MBR or APM?

Boot Camp is a weird hybrid of GPT and MBR on most systems, this is probably not how your external is partitioned.

B

Thanks balamw.

Ah, might have found it, it is Apple partition Map, not GUID.

Oh, and it has one partition, HFS+

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-06-03 at 19.47.56.png
    Screen Shot 2013-06-03 at 19.47.56.png
    23.6 KB · Views: 188
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.