Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jun 3, 2013, 01:47 PM   #1
sdilley14
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Wisconsin
How do you organize your music videos in iTunes?

I'm wondering how everyone here organizes their music videos in iTunes. I'm having trouble finding a clean, unified way to get all of my video organized.

Particularly, some of my purchased items are categorized as "Movies" rather than "Music Videos" and vice versa, and the option to change how they are categorized is greyed out. So I am left with a library of music videos that are categorized in different ways and I can't really manually categorize them all as the same thing. This is causing videos to leak over into different playlists that I don't want them to be in and is making it difficult to sync them onto a single playlist for my iPhone. I made a "music videos" playlist in iTunes, but some of the purchased items won't show up on that list when I'm trying to access them through my Apple TV. And of course on my iPhone, some of these videos show up as Movies, some as Music Videos. It's kind of a mess.

Is there a good way to get all of my music videos uniformly categorized? Is there any way to manually change how purchased videos are categorized?

Thank you!
sdilley14 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2013, 11:36 PM   #2
cuestakid
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: San Fran
I do not understand one thing-you should be able to change the video kind (do a get info and choose options. Media type should be changeable). If you can do that, then maybe a smart playlist which sets the video kind to Music Video (which is what I do) may be the easiest way.
__________________
Mac Mini 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7,16GB RAM, 1TB HD Apple TV Hockey PuckiPhone 5S 32GB Verizon iPad3 WiFi 32GBSeagate ThunderboltDell U2711
cuestakid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2013, 10:30 AM   #3
sdilley14
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuestakid View Post
I do not understand one thing-you should be able to change the video kind (do a get info and choose options. Media type should be changeable). If you can do that, then maybe a smart playlist which sets the video kind to Music Video (which is what I do) may be the easiest way.
That's the problem. Some of the videos that I purchased off of iTunes don't allow for this. I'm able to change the Media Type on most of my videos (even a couple that I got off of iTunes), but there are a few videos where the Media Type drop down menu is greyed out and I can't change it. And to make it more annoying, some of those videos that have the greyed out Media Type menu are classified as Music Video, while others are classified as Movie.
sdilley14 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2013, 10:23 PM   #4
cuestakid
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: San Fran
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdilley14 View Post
That's the problem. Some of the videos that I purchased off of iTunes don't allow for this. I'm able to change the Media Type on most of my videos (even a couple that I got off of iTunes), but there are a few videos where the Media Type drop down menu is greyed out and I can't change it. And to make it more annoying, some of those videos that have the greyed out Media Type menu are classified as Music Video, while others are classified as Movie.
This may sound odd, but I would actually try to re-download the file(I would first delete it from your library AND your HD. Of course make a backup copy first) and see what happens. I have never heard of Music videos being called movies by iTunes, or anything like that. If that does not fix it, I would contact Apple-it really shouldn't do that.
May I ask what Music Videos they are?
__________________
Mac Mini 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7,16GB RAM, 1TB HD Apple TV Hockey PuckiPhone 5S 32GB Verizon iPad3 WiFi 32GBSeagate ThunderboltDell U2711
cuestakid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2013, 10:36 PM   #5
sdilley14
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuestakid View Post
This may sound odd, but I would actually try to re-download the file(I would first delete it from your library AND your HD. Of course make a backup copy first) and see what happens. I have never heard of Music videos being called movies by iTunes, or anything like that. If that does not fix it, I would contact Apple-it really shouldn't do that.
May I ask what Music Videos they are?
TI - Live Your Life
TI - Whats Up Whats Happenin
Everclear - Be Careful What You Ask For
Everclear - I Will Buy You A New Life
Everclear - You Make Me Feel Like a Whore

I only have like 4-5 other purchased music videos and those are all categorized correctly (Media Type: Music Video)
sdilley14 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 12:04 AM   #6
cuestakid
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: San Fran
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdilley14 View Post
TI - Live Your Life
TI - Whats Up Whats Happenin
Everclear - Be Careful What You Ask For
Everclear - I Will Buy You A New Life
Everclear - You Make Me Feel Like a Whore

I only have like 4-5 other purchased music videos and those are all categorized correctly (Media Type: Music Video)
So it just so happens i have "I will buy you a new life". Mine appears to be set as a Musc Video-but I also could not change it either. That said, I would stil try to re-download it. There is no logical reason I can think of as to why it would be set that way. You could see of any of those file editors (Metax, iFlicks, ect) can change the properties but I doubt they can.
__________________
Mac Mini 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7,16GB RAM, 1TB HD Apple TV Hockey PuckiPhone 5S 32GB Verizon iPad3 WiFi 32GBSeagate ThunderboltDell U2711
cuestakid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 10:40 AM   #7
sdilley14
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuestakid View Post
So it just so happens i have "I will buy you a new life". Mine appears to be set as a Musc Video-but I also could not change it either. That said, I would stil try to re-download it. There is no logical reason I can think of as to why it would be set that way. You could see of any of those file editors (Metax, iFlicks, ect) can change the properties but I doubt they can.
I'll try re-downloading it later tonight. Thanks for checking that out!
sdilley14 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can I organize my iTunes music library into separate folders? scubacat iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 0 May 13, 2014 09:13 PM
Organize music videos Sikazzg35 iOS 7 0 Jan 15, 2014 07:09 PM
iTunes won't stream Music Videos to AppleTV CoffeeMonkey Apple TV and Home Theater 4 Jan 14, 2014 06:47 AM
How do you organise Music Videos on iTunes? FrenzyBanana Mac Applications and Mac App Store 1 May 20, 2013 11:03 PM
iTunes missing music videos Dingo Dave 69 Digital Audio 0 Jul 15, 2012 04:28 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:31 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC