Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

It's been reported for several months that Jony Ive is overseeing a redesign of the user interface in iOS 7, removing signs of skeuomorphism and gloss in favor of a 'flat design'.

iDownloadBlog has posted what may be the new home screen in iOS 7. While the authenticity of poor-quality photo can not be confirmed, 9to5Mac seems to believe that it is likely legitimate but of an early iOS 7 alpha. The site tweeted its own version of the same image, claiming that "things have changed a lot since this was taken".

ios7icons.jpg
When you look at the current state of stock apps icons, it seems that all of them were designed by different teams. Most of them have a different look. They don't have unified features that tie them all up together. Some of them have a gloss effect. Some of them don't. Some of them have borders. Some of them don't, etc...

From what we've seen, we believe Jony Ive's touch on iOS 7 will homogenize the look of Apple's stock apps icons.
As with many things Apple does, the WWDC iOS app released earlier today is being closely examined for changes. TechCrunch noted that the app is 'flatter' than past versions.
What started out with textures meant to mimic 3D effects, more use of contrasting colors and shaded buttons, has now become a much flatter design. The changes are mostly subtle, but from what we've heard recently, that's what's in store for iOS 7, too; sweeping, system-wide changes, but ones that tweak the interfaces rather than overhaul them completely.
The new iOS 7 is expected to be unveiled at Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference next week.

Article Link: Image of 'Flat' Redesign From Early iOS 7 Build Reportedly Leaks

Chuck-Norris

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
meh, still better then nothing. iOS hasnt really at all much since it was released, so it would be nice to see big changes

JasonDawg18

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2005
I hope this is real

I REALLY like the look of it. I think it looks great and doesn't really look like the newer version of Microsoft to me.

locust76

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2009
Worst spyshot ever. It's almost as if all the advances in mobile phone camera technology had absolutely no effect whatsoever.

bpyoung83

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2007
Does that not look completely fake to anyone else? The icons don't even line up with the top border. Looks like someone pasted it in there. Or am I missing something?

rpe33

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2012
Couldn't they take a more blurry picture? That one's a little too clear.

MichaelJohnston

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2007
San Luis Obispo
Oh good. This looks so awesome. People are going to be so much happier, be so much more productive, and have much better access to the info they need when they need it with a graphically flatter OS.

Oh wait. It won't do crap for any of those things. Yay.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
iterative, iterative, iterative. the icons look really good imo. apple's version of flat design.

Nikos

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2008
New York
I really hope this isn't real. It doesn't look like enough of a change for me to continue using what has become a very stale OS. If there aren't any drastic changes, I might have to switch platforms. Never thought I'd say such a thing. It's a shame considering how much I've spent in the app store.

EDIT: After taking a closer look, it appears to be an obvious fake.

Last edited:

Windmill360

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2010
It would be literally harder to find a camera that takes a grainy photo in todays age than to find a true leak of the new UI but theyve managed to do it. #fake

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.