Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jun 3, 2013, 10:19 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

iPad Mini Update to Trail Next Full-Size iPad Launch by Several Months?

Late last year, Apple introduced the iPad mini alongside an update to the full-size iPad lineup, with many observers believing that Apple would continue to update the two lines simultaneously going forward.

Mockup of fifth-generation iPad next to iPad mini
A new report from Digitimes claims, however, that the next-generation iPad may appear as much as several months before the next version of the iPad mini.
Quote:
Volume production of a new-generation 9.7-inch iPad will begin in July-August with shipments in the third quarter estimated at five million units. Meanwhile, a second-generation iPad mini may see its volume production postponed from September to November, according to Taiwan-based supply chain makers.
The updated full-size iPad is widely expected to see a significant redesign that will take design cues from the iPad mini and be roughly 15% thinner and 25-33% lighter than the current models.

Digitimes believes that Apple may be pushing back the next iPad mini launch in part to give more focus to the redesigned full-size iPad in the face of the iPad mini's popularity, but also due to mass production issues with the iPad mini, which has been rumored to be gaining a Retina display. Today's claims from Digitimes are not necessarily new, but they do provide a fresh direct comparison between Apple's potential plans for the two iPad lines.

Reliable KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo had previously reported that technical challenges would likely see the next iPad mini pushed back from Apple's original internal timeline, with an introduction likely coming in the September-November timeframe rather than earlier as some had thought. Digitimes' claim today suggests that the launch could be at the end of that timeframe, bumping up against the holiday shopping season.

Article Link: iPad Mini Update to Trail Next Full-Size iPad Launch by Several Months?
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2013, 10:21 PM   #2
WhiteIphone5
Banned

I still think both iPad's would be introduced in October.
WhiteIphone5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2013, 10:23 PM   #3
macs4nw
macrumors 68020

Perhaps battery tech has to catch-up to drive all those extra pixels, without an increase in weight or thickness.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 10:24 PM   #4
MOKHAN
macrumors 6502

A new iPad revision. Again?
MOKHAN is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2013, 10:29 PM   #5
Virtualball
macrumors 6502

A. Digitimes.
B. Not gonna happen. Apple would mot likely wait to release both at the same time; they're not exactly going to have two separate iPad events within a month or two of each other.
Virtualball is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2013, 10:30 PM   #6
komodrone
Banned

And Apple will remove the camera from the first version.
komodrone is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2013, 10:34 PM   #7
mrmarts
macrumors 6502a

The Ipad Mini is the iPads on death, I for one prefer the mini's form factor over the iPad and this may be enough to convince me to hold out for a retina mini.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 10:37 PM   #8
dagamer34
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtualball View Post
A. Digitimes.
B. Not gonna happen. Apple would mot likely wait to release both at the same time; they're not exactly going to have two separate iPad events within a month or two of each other.
A) This is the reason why you should not immediately dismiss Digitimes: http://www.macrumors.com/2012/01/06/...terim-upgrade/
B) They did just that last year?
Old Jun 3, 2013, 10:38 PM   #9
Tankmaze
macrumors 65816

I can wait for both iPads till late this year. mine still works fine, but the rumours of next gen device always gets me excited.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 10:40 PM   #10
tmanto02
macrumors 6502a

I assumed this would be the case. Mass production mainly but also to assist in maintaining ridiculously high sales volume of both new products.

They did it with the iPad mini by not releasing a redesigned 9.7" form factor and also with the rMBP by releasing the 13" a few months after the 15".
tmanto02 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2013, 10:43 PM   #11
campingsk8er
macrumors regular

This is going to be bad for me. I made the decision a long time ago that if the next iPad mini received a Retina display, I would be getting that, ONLY if the 5th generation iPad didn't receive a thinner/ lighter bezel to make the physical size smaller. Now I'm at a fork in the road. If this does happen, what do I do? Do I get the iPad mini w/ Retina, or wait a couple of months to see if the 5th gen iPad has a smaller bezel? Ughh
campingsk8er is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2013, 10:47 PM   #12
Virtualball
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post
A) This is the reason why you should not immediately dismiss Digitimes: http://www.macrumors.com/2012/01/06/...terim-upgrade/
B) They did just that last year?
A. Do you want me to link you to the countless, countless rumors Digitimes has spread that have never come to fruition?
B. Weren't both current iPad's released on the same day last year? If you're talking about the 3rd gen vs. the 4th gen, it's widly accepted that the 4th gen was introduced to unify the accessory ecosystem.
Virtualball is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2013, 10:48 PM   #13
Jaredly
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3ac7 View Post
A new iPad revision. Again?
I find this interesting. Among my friends (I am in college) they are all disappointed that apple doesn't update their hardware as frequently as other companies. To non tech savvy people to wait 6 months to buy a new product is unheard of. They will just go out an buy the top of the line android tablet that came out days ago since they don't want to by a 5 month old device from Apple.
Jaredly is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2013, 10:50 PM   #14
MacFan23
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaredly View Post
I find this interesting. Among my friends (I am in college) they are all disappointed that apple doesn't update their hardware as frequently as other companies. To non tech savvy people to wait 6 months to buy a new product is unheard of. They will just go out an buy the top of the line android tablet that came out days ago since they don't want to by a 5 month old device from Apple.
I find most non tech savvy people won't particularly follow release dates and are surprised when a new product comes out, "A new one already, I only just bought this"
MacFan23 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2013, 10:51 PM   #15
the8thark
macrumors 68030

Quote:
These people are in the minority I would assume. For most people they are happy buying an iPad every 1-2 years or even longer.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 11:00 PM   #16
AppleScruff1
macrumors 603

Any chance that Apple would stagger the release so the mini Retina doesn't steal the thunder from the new iPad?
AppleScruff1 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2013, 11:01 PM   #17
Mackan
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by campingsk8er View Post
This is going to be bad for me. I made the decision a long time ago that if the next iPad mini received a Retina display, I would be getting that, ONLY if the 5th generation iPad didn't receive a thinner/ lighter bezel to make the physical size smaller. Now I'm at a fork in the road. If this does happen, what do I do? Do I get the iPad mini w/ Retina, or wait a couple of months to see if the 5th gen iPad has a smaller bezel? Ughh
You buy both, which is what Apple prefers.
Mackan is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2013, 11:02 PM   #18
GREEN4U
macrumors 6502a

My friend's iPad mini got stolen last week. He says he hasn't even missed it. LOL.
GREEN4U is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2013, 11:04 PM   #19
portishead
Banned

This makes sense. Apple doesn't usually give you multiple awesome options. They stagger them. I just got a mini and its awesome but I think I might wait for a retina mini.
portishead is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2013, 11:04 PM   #20
Nova Sensei
macrumors 6502

The better question is why wouldn't they stagger the releases? It makes perfect sense to do so. This is Apple we are talking about....
Nova Sensei is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2013, 11:08 PM   #21
lk400
macrumors 6502

Quote:
I am now convinced I am getting old. I buy things and keep them - thats why I buy good quality things that last. The idea of something 5 months being "old" scares me. How much life-changing innovation do you think can be done in 5 months?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8thark View Post
These people are in the minority I would assume. For most people they are happy buying an iPad every 1-2 years or even longer.
Agree. For many people it would be even more than that. I dont understand the constant micro-upgrade cycle.
lk400 is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2013, 11:08 PM   #22
iMikeT
macrumors 68020

Yeah, I think we can wait for this one.
iMikeT is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2013, 11:13 PM   #23
ChazUK
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMikeT View Post
Yeah, I think we can wait for this one.
Same here. It's already the perfect tablet for me. Any additions in the next gen will be a bonus (and worth the wait).
Old Jun 3, 2013, 11:33 PM   #24
pezj
macrumors member

New Mini's going to be epppic.
pezj is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2013, 11:38 PM   #25
Raftysworld
macrumors regular

I think since they appeal to different sorts of people, Steve will want to stagger the releases. It just makes the most sense.
Raftysworld is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion