Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 7

View Poll Results: Do you agree with the post?
Yes 56 64.37%
No 31 35.63%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jun 4, 2013, 12:20 AM   #1
andrewpturko
macrumors member

Arrow Official iOS 7 Icons

This seems to be perhaps the most authentic way of telling what the iOS 7 default stock app icons will look like
based on the recently released official WWDC 2013 app icon before the new design is unveiled next Monday.

>> UPDATE:

It looks like transparency is even more prominent now and is looking to be another key factor in iOS 7's
design based on the newly released WWDC 2013 banners. Compare/Contrast:

This mock up is based on all the given resources both Apple and respective rumors have provided [such as]...
  • Flat Design
  • Subtle Grandients
  • Color Consistency
  • etc

Additional Input Relative to Icons/Home Screen:

Dynamic Icons
The Calendar icon has always been dynamic, so why not make the Weather and Clock icons dynamic as well? Perhaps even make the Photos icon dynamic, showing the last picture taken in the frame. Also an option: make the visualizer in the Music icon animate when music is playing. Dynamic icons would make the homescreen feel more alive. App Store apps still only can have static icons.

Dock
Give iOS the same Mountain Lion Dock treatment to keep things consistent.

Notification Center
Show a badge with the amount of unread notifications in the top-right corner of the status bar, next to the battery icon. In Notification Center itself, get rid of the heavy linen texture. Make Notification groups collapsable by tapping the header.

Questions and comments are appreciated! I've also included a simple yes/no poll to see how many agree/disagree with this concept. By agreeing with the post you are agreeing to the simple idea that the layers of colors on the WWDC logo will match their respective apps and be applied much like they were on the official WWDC app icon. I tried my best to give a rough illustration of this, but your vote should be based on this idea rather than the rough icons themselves. It'll be interesting to reference back to this next Monday to see if we had the right idea!

>> UPDATE: I've modified the icons based on feedback, let me know what you think!

*The icons are provided to only illustrate an idea of the concept and
are not strictly meant to be accurate.

Last edited by andrewpturko; Jun 4, 2013 at 06:29 PM. Reason: modified icons based on feedback, added new supporting information
andrewpturko is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2013, 01:53 AM   #2
Tar Sniffer
macrumors 6502

You might be right. So the other colours could be..

Light Blue = App Store
Purple = iTunes Store
Yellow = Notes?
Dark Blue = Mail?

Last edited by Tar Sniffer; Jun 4, 2013 at 02:25 AM.
Tar Sniffer is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2013, 02:11 AM   #3
SamGabbay
macrumors 6502

Thumb resize.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KEEPCALM.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	415091  
Old Jun 4, 2013, 04:32 AM   #4
hafr
Banned

There's no shading in the WWDC app icon, so why did you add it to the other icons? I believe you're on the right track though, but no shadows
hafr is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2013, 04:37 AM   #5
roadbloc
macrumors 604

Thumb resize.
You're wrong. It'll look like this.

Old Jun 4, 2013, 06:24 AM   #6
Bonestle
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hafr View Post
There's no shading in the WWDC app icon, so why did you add it to the other icons? I believe you're on the right track though, but no shadows
I can see shading (or at least gradient) right there in the icons, where are you looking?
Nice work, OP!
Bonestle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2013, 06:47 AM   #7
pmontanarella
macrumors 6502

This looks great, as long as it's not the only change, I also want new user features!

Pietro
Old Jun 4, 2013, 06:49 AM   #8
TC03
macrumors 6502a

I think the color saturation in your mock-ups is way too low. Also, corners for the calendar app should be rounded.
TC03 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2013, 07:11 AM   #9
hafr
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonestle View Post
I can see shading (or at least gradient) right there in the icons, where are you looking?
Nice work, OP!
Look at the mock iMessage icon, you'll see that the text bubble casts a shadow. The apple in the actual WWDC icon does not.
hafr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2013, 07:15 AM   #10
DaSal
macrumors regular

Why are there hints of grey at the bottom of the icons? That doesn't look good at all.
DaSal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2013, 07:46 AM   #11
Bonestle
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hafr View Post
Look at the mock iMessage icon, you'll see that the text bubble casts a shadow. The apple in the actual WWDC icon does not.
My mistake, I see what you were referring to now.
Bonestle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2013, 08:01 AM   #12
tmanto02
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamGabbay View Post
Thumb resize.
Keep calm??!! Keep calm??!! This is a iOS 7 not just a world war!
tmanto02 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2013, 10:09 AM   #13
andrewpturko
macrumors member

Quote:
Why are there hints of grey at the bottom of the icons? That doesn't look good at all.
Quote:
I applied the shadow based on http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new.../ios7icons.jpg, perhaps it should have been more of a "glow".

Quote:
I think the color saturation in your mock-ups is way too low. Also, corners for the calendar app should be rounded.
Quote:
There's no shading in the WWDC app icon, so why did you add it to the other icons?
I believe there are subtle gradients and shading on the icon's color, although they most likely aren't around the white symbols in the icons like I previously applied. It's most likely more of a "glow" or at least more subtle. As I made this in Photoshop, applying no shadow awful to me at the time, so it's probably a bit more exaggerated than what I first imagined.

Like I said at the bottom of my post, the icons are provided to only illustrate an idea of the concept and are not strictly meant to be accurate because that's not the point. We won't know until Monday. My concept is only referencing the color choices to the existing icons and what they might be applied to. I made this in about 10 minutes, I realize the shadowing and gradients aren't perfect, they're only rough mockups, but I appreciate all of your feedback! I hope you all get the idea that I'm pointing out here, and appreciate the interesting conversation this is starting.

Anyway, by agreeing with the post you are agreeing to the simple idea that the layers of colors on the WWDC logo will match their respective apps and be applied much like they were on the official WWDC app icon. I tried my best to give a rough illustration of this, but your vote should be based on this idea rather than the rough icons themselves.

Last but not least...KEPP CALM?!?!?! Impossible.

Last edited by andrewpturko; Jun 4, 2013 at 10:20 AM.
andrewpturko is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2013, 10:19 AM   #14
Prototypical
macrumors 6502

While I understand that you're trying to mock up the "official iOS7 Icons," the thread title is pretty misleading. People are going to think these are the real icons... which is exactly how hoax stories get started.

...Just sayin'.
Prototypical is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2013, 10:26 AM   #15
andrewpturko
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prototypical View Post
While I understand that you're trying to mock up the "official iOS7 Icons," the thread title is pretty misleading. People are going to think these are the real icons... which is exactly how hoax stories get started.

...Just sayin'.
It's really just the first title that came to mind, no hoaxes here. Just my idea of what the official iOS icons will be based off of. I see what you're saying though, I'd think the same thing if I just glanced at the icons and replied. The underlying details are in the context of the post. Thanks for the input.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 02:21 PM   #16
andrewpturko
macrumors member

>> update

I've modified the icons based on all of your great feedback, and I think the visual idea is a bit more on target now, although not perfect (because we just don't know yet! ). Let me know what you think!
Old Jun 4, 2013, 02:23 PM   #17
hafr
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewpturko View Post
I've modified the icons based on all of your great feedback, and I think the visual idea is a bit more on target now, although not perfect (because we just don't know yet! ). Let me know what you think!
Much better! This looks really nice
hafr is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2013, 03:42 PM   #18
sdilley14
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewpturko View Post
>> UPDATE: I've modified the icons based on feedback, let me know what you think!

*The icons are provided to only illustrate an idea of the concept and
are not strictly meant to be accurate.
Wow...those look great! I would welcome that change with open arms! Clean, simple, and the colors really pop. I like it!

It's something small, but I really can't wait to see some of these icons get a total makeover...particularly the Photos, Mail, and App Sore icons...They look dated and crappy, IMO.
sdilley14 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2013, 06:15 PM   #19
andrewpturko
macrumors member

It looks like transparency is even more prominent now and is looking to be another key factor in iOS 7's design based on the newly released WWDC 2013 banners:

Old Jun 5, 2013, 03:14 PM   #20
Silvereel
macrumors 6502

I like the look of those. The transparent icons are giving me a sort of iMac G3 vibe, too.
Silvereel is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2013, 03:34 PM   #21
VolceOntra
macrumors regular

These look great, but lets pray they don't go with that obnoxious iTunes/Music color.
VolceOntra is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2013, 04:28 PM   #22
andrewpturko
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvereel View Post
I like the look of those. The transparent icons are giving me a sort of iMac G3 vibe, too.
Yeah! To this day I'm still in love with the design of the iMac G3. I think it still defines the Apple of this era in a way.

Also...
"We made the buttons on the screen look so good you'll want to lick them."
-Steve Jobs
Old Jun 5, 2013, 05:20 PM   #23
lewismayell
macrumors 6502a

If I'm honest, I don't think there has been a point for Apple to have a Music app and an iTunes app, on desktops iTunes is able to play music and be able to make purchases, I'd quite like to see them get rid of music and put it into the iTunes app, with a shortcut to the store
lewismayell is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2013, 05:37 PM   #24
zhandri
macrumors regular

you did a great job! no doubt
zhandri is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2013, 09:15 PM   #25
andrewpturko
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewismayell View Post
If I'm honest, I don't think there has been a point for Apple to have a Music app and an iTunes app, on desktops iTunes is able to play music and be able to make purchases, I'd quite like to see them get rid of music and put it into the iTunes app, with a shortcut to the store
I agree 100%. iBooks has their store right in the app, so why not iTunes. The Music app, previously called the iPod app was conceived at a time where bringing the iTunes store to a mobile platform was completely new. As time progressed, it doesn't seem very intuitive anymore, and there needs to be a change in these things to make sense once again.

I'd also like to point out that on a personal computer iTunes puts all its stores under the App, where as on mobile it's separate. Perhaps a new "iStore" would work better and make more sense (think "Play Store") rather than consolidating it all under one app. Although this would create another problem that iTunes original solved - combining the player with the store. This method would separate that, so perhaps integrate the iStore into iTunes on the desktop. Better yet, integrate the respective stores to their respective apps on all platforms...oh I should stop babbling now before I'm tempted to make a concept. ...ideas ideas

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 7