Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Jun 4, 2013, 01:47 AM   #1
crizza0309
macrumors regular

Access External HD Plugged Into Apple TV From MBP

So Im getting an apple tv 2 this week and Im constantly transferring files onto it. My question is is there a way I can access the external harddrive as a shared network folder and have it show up on my macbook? That way when I want to transfer the files from my mac to the harddrive I dont have to constatly unplug it and transfer?
crizza0309 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2013, 08:53 AM   #2
mic j
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by crizza0309 View Post
So Im getting an apple tv 2 this week and Im constantly transferring files onto it. My question is is there a way I can access the external harddrive as a shared network folder and have it show up on my macbook? That way when I want to transfer the files from my mac to the harddrive I dont have to constatly unplug it and transfer?
Plug the HD into your router.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 12:23 PM   #3
crizza0309
macrumors regular

i dont have one. so theres no way to access it through the apple tv?
Old Jun 4, 2013, 12:34 PM   #4
mic j
macrumors 68020

Quote:
i dont have one. so theres no way to access it through the apple tv?
I am not understanding. When you say you are currently constantly transferring files onto "it", what is it?

Also, aTV's are pretty useless without wifi (router).
Old Jun 4, 2013, 12:50 PM   #5
crizza0309
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mic j View Post
I am not understanding. When you say you are currently constantly transferring files onto "it", what is it?

ok, I have an external harddrive. I currently have it hooked up to my apple tv. Is there a way I can access the external hd plugged into my Apple tv from my laptop? Because it gets annoying that I have to unplug the harddrive from my apple tv and then in my macbook to transfer the files and then plug the harddrive back to the apple tv. So Im trying to transfer my files from my harddrive to the apple tv exteranl harddrive over wifi. so im trying to see if i can get my external hd which is plugged into my apple tv to show up on my mac so I can access it and never have to unplug my HD to transfer files.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 01:00 PM   #6
mic j
macrumors 68020

Quote:
ok, I have an external harddrive. I currently have it hooked up to my apple tv. Is there a way I can access the external hd plugged into my Apple tv from my laptop? Because it gets annoying that I have to unplug the harddrive from my apple tv and then in my macbook to transfer the files and then plug the harddrive back to the apple tv. So Im trying to transfer my files from my harddrive to the apple tv exteranl harddrive over wifi. so im trying to see if i can get my external hd which is plugged into my apple tv to show up on my mac so I can access it and never have to unplug my HD to transfer files.
So, you do have wifi and therefore a router. If the router has a usb port then you should connect the HDD there so it will become a network drive. That way you can transfer files wirelessly.

As for connecting a HDD to an aTV, I don't think the aTV supports that at all (not sure though if it's an aTV1 or jailbroken aTV2 though).

Edit: so I have read where the aTV1 will support an attached usb HDD but an aTV2, aTV2(jailbroken) and aTV3 will not support an external HDD through their usb port. Do you have an aTV1 then?

Last edited by mic j; Jun 4, 2013 at 01:08 PM.
mic j is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2013, 01:11 PM   #7
smoge
macrumors regular

options
1. get a hard drive that support HAS/or Apple Time Capsule
2. buy an adapter http://www.addonics.com/products/nasu2.php
3. buy a router with a usb connection
smoge is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2013, 04:35 PM   #8
dynaflash
macrumors 68020

The atv 1 hacked running linux xbmc will support an external usb hard drive *and* you can transfer to it the drive wirelessly. I use two of them. Much more flexible than either the atv2 or 3. Local expandable storage and can still stream if you want.
dynaflash is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 12:20 AM   #9
Sparky9292
macrumors 6502a

Lightbulb AppleTV needs iTunes

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoge View Post
options
1. get a hard drive that support HAS/or Apple Time Capsule
2. buy an adapter http://www.addonics.com/products/nasu2.php
3. buy a router with a usb connection
This would only work if you were able to map iTunes library to this NAS connection.

Unfortunately, a non-jailbroken AppleTV only can pick up media that is stored in a iTunes library on the Wifi network.
Sparky9292 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2013, 10:57 AM   #10
marzer
macrumors 65816

Quote:
When I was running a jailbroken ATV1 with external harddrive, there was an option to enable ftp on the ATV. That allowed me to transfer files over the network to the ATV hard drives. Does such an option exist for ATV2 JB? FTP or file sharing?
marzer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2013, 11:54 AM   #11
wzz
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mic j View Post

sorry, but i was feeling uncomfortable reading the above and had to say this..

it's "I do not understand"
wzz is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater