Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

droid777

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 4, 2013
I am wondering what kind of battery life u guys get with iPhone 5. mine usually last for about 6.5hours with intensive web browsing on wifi, push emails and a few videos. no games or music and bluetooth is off.

my phone usually dies at about 3-4 pm, which is a big concern for me as I expect it to last for a day, well at least till I get off work at 5pm. I set up my iphone as new so there is no issue with restore from iCloud battery drain that some people have been experiencing. I'm now thinking of bringing it to apple store to have swapped. what do u guys think?

ps: my phone died at 6hours 53minutes usage around 4pm :(

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
I also get around 6.5 hours a day. I work from 8-4PM. By 4pm my battery is at around 45%. Thats plenty enough for me.

Aylan

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2013
Boston
I would say that based on what you said, your battery life is normal. Video does use more battery juice than lets say, playing music, etc. With that usage pattern you'd be looking at ~8 hrs. I use my phone pretty much all day, checking news, Facebook, occasional YT video, etc. and consistently get about 7-9 hours depending on signal strength etc.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
I am wondering what kind of battery life u guys get with iPhone 5. mine usually last for about 6.5hours with intensive web browsing on wifi, push emails and a few videos. no games or music and bluetooth is off.

my phone usually dies at about 3-4 pm, which is a big concern for me as I expect it to last for a day, well at least till I get off work at 5pm. I set up my iphone as new so there is no issue with restore from iCloud battery drain that some people have been experiencing. I'm now thinking of bringing it to apple store to have swapped. what do u guys think?

Almost eight hours of on screen action before the battery dies is definitely okay. If you bring it in they'll just tell you your battery is absolutely normal.

But seriously, if you've got a job where you can hit 6,5 hours of usage before you quit, you're most likely sitting still and also have access to a wall outlet or a computer where you can charge your phone.

Sparticu$

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2009

Your battery life is normal. I would recommend you get a Mophie Juicepack if your a heavy user. I purchased the air and I can make it two days no charge.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Depends too much on usage. Even then signal strength plays a huge roll.

On my 4S I can get 10 hours of mostly streaming Netflix on an airports wifi. However using tapatalk most of the day will kill it in less then 6-7 hours.

Plus your picture is at 44% battery usage. The meter may be out of calibration some. For example I've ran my phone down to 1% before and then got another 30 minutes of constant usage. At the same time I've seen it die completely around 4-5%.

I think if you have to ask then its fine. When there is something wrong you'll just know.

Fed

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012
Liverpool.
Yes, more or less. Throughout the day I use only 3G. E-mails are set to Fetch every 15 minutes. I get similar usage with texting, calls, e-mailing and extensive web browsing (whilst playing Podcasts on and off).

Only thing worth mentioning is whilst Push e-mail with GMail usually doesn't effect my battery life. Push e-mail with Exchange literally hammers it. So if you're using Exchange, I bet swapping that to Fetch would make a noticeable difference.

droid777

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 4, 2013
I would say that based on what you said, your battery life is normal. Video does use more battery juice than lets say, playing music, etc. With that usage pattern you'd be looking at ~8 hrs. I use my phone pretty much all day, checking news, Facebook, occasional YT video, etc. and consistently get about 7-9 hours depending on signal strength etc.

the issue is that some people get 8-10 hours of usage and 1 day standby easily while I struggled to get more than 7-7.5 hours most of the time. my iphone battery life is kinda poor in comparison

----------

Almost eight hours of on screen action before the battery dies is definitely okay. If you bring it in they'll just tell you your battery is absolutely normal.

But seriously, if you've got a job where you can hit 6,5 hours of usage before you quit, you're most likely sitting still and also have access to a wall outlet or a computer where you can charge your phone.

I've never hit 8 hours usage, ever :(

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
the issue is that some people get 8-10 hours of usage and 1 day standby easily while I struggled to get more than 7-7.5 hours most of the time. my iphone battery life is kinda poor in comparison
Usage and other factors (coverage, email setup, notifications, etc) affect battery life greatly. In order to determine what's "normal" you need to establish your own baseline. You can't blindly compare to other random people.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
Those people are either using their phones really lightly (like reading with black background and not scrolling too often) or listening to music/podcasts with the screen turned off. Also, the longer the standby, the more time adds up in usage for background processes that happen when the phone is locked (receiving e-mails, notifications etc.).

Not surprising, since you're describing a usage pattern that requires constant data transfer and on screen action over a very short period of time.

Question, does your phone ever die due to low battery? Check the low battery logs and report the usage time...

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007

the screen looks like iPhone 5 resolution, so I'm guessing you have a 5. Do you have LTE coverage in your area? My understand is that O2 doesn't yet have LTE. If you don't get LTE, and LTE isn't turned off in your settings, then you should turn it off. A LOT of battery power is wasted searching for LTE when there is none to be had.

(On the other hand, if you have blanket LTE coverage in your area, then keep LTE turned on. I've found that battery life under a good LTE signal is consistently equal to and sometimes better than 3G).

Another possibility is that you have an app running in the background that is sucking power unnecessarily. This happens sometimes; often apps like Facebook, or a streaming app, even Mail, can keep trying to connect on a failed connection and not get anywhere. If your phone happens to be a bit on the warm side, then it's a good indicator that this is going on.

You might want to double-click your home button from the home screen, hold your finger down on an app in the task switcher (bottom row) and press the "x" that appears on the upper left corner of each one. Just force-quit them all. You might see your battery life improve then.

My current usage, with one push account, push notifications, Location services on, and 9 active e-mail accounts:

iPhone5Usage.png

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
The LTE upgrade in the iPhone 5 is really killing battery life for me. In my work building and the fact that Las Vegas AT&T coverage is so spotty means my battery drains rapidly giving me about 4.5 to 6 hours of use before shutting down.

As such, I've invested in some more lighting cables (one for the car, one for work, one for the bed side, etc) and a MaxBoost case which is nice as it clips onto another case on your phone so you can have all day protection on your phone and just attach the external battery when you need it...unlike the Mophie Air packs which are battery cases all-in-ones.

Having the MaxBoost and the extra lightning cables for charging my battery life is no longer a concern!

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
other things to look at

1. do you have bluetooth on. is it connected to something that you aren't around all the time, like say yours cars system. if it is on and not connected to something it keeps searching every few seconds.

2. do you have LTE on? especially in areas with crap service

3. do you have wifi on but not connected

4. do you have emails set on Push

5. Location services

These are all things that can drain your battery

pcubed18

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2010
How is this for battery life? All location services on and push notifications on.
2 email accounts one icloud and one gmail.

No music. Strictly web browsing, texting and phone calls.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 71

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
How is this for battery life? All location services on and push notifications on.
2 email accounts one icloud and one gmail.

No music. Strictly web browsing, texting and phone calls.

nearly 7 hours, in my opinoin, is above average battery life

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
other things to look at

1. do you have bluetooth on. is it connected to something that you aren't around all the time, like say yours cars system. if it is on and not connected to something it keeps searching every few seconds.
Is that really true with BLE though? I must say I don't experience any difference what so ever when I've got BT turned on and when I've got it turned off, and I'm pretty anal about tracking my usage status to see how small differences in my usage pattern affects the battery life. Although when it's on and connected, having my MetaWatch connected for a day means I'll have 15-25 % battery left when I go to bed instead of 20-30 % - which really is quite good considering all the notifications it's sending to the watch.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Is that really true with BLE though? I must say I don't experience any difference what so ever when I've got BT turned on and when I've got it turned off, and I'm pretty anal about tracking my usage status to see how small differences in my usage pattern affects the battery life. Although when it's on and connected, having my MetaWatch connected for a day means I'll have 15-25 % battery left when I go to bed instead of 20-30 % - which really is quite good considering all the notifications it's sending to the watch.

Try turning it on with a paired device that isn't actually connected. For many the difference is notable

Also for some folks even 5-10% difference is important to them.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I don't notice any battery battery drain with Bluetooth on and I have 3 devices that's aren't connect. I notice much better battery life using a Bluetooth headset over using my iPhone as the phone.

However I'll admit its extremely difficult to tell a difference. I could be in an area with poor reception one day vs the next.

Main reason I turn Bluetooth off is because my status bar gets too full and I can't see battery percentage. Lol

equ8e3a9.jpg

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
Try turning it on with a paired device that isn't actually connected. For many the difference is notable
That would be just having BT turned on. As I said, I don't notice any significant difference between having BT turned on and nothing connected, and having BT turned off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.