Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

haswell_chip-250x288.jpg
Intel today officially announced the launch of its latest family of Core processors, formerly known as "Haswell". The new processors are making their way into a number of new computers, and are expected to be included in Apple's next-generation Macs, some of which are likely to make their debuts at next week's Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC).

The new chips offer significant improvements in integrated graphics performance, as well as modest CPU performance improvements and a major effort toward increasing battery life in notebooks.
Delivering Intel's largest generation-over-generation gain in battery life enablement in company history, 4th generation Intel Core processors can bring an 50 percent improvement in battery life over the previous generation in active workloads when watching movies or surfing the Internet, and two to three times improvement in standby battery life. For some systems coming to market this year, over 9 hours of active use battery life or 10 to 13 days of standby with fresh data on a single charge is expected.
Ars Technica has been providing overviews of the new chips, beginning with the quad-core desktop and notebook chips that were unveiled over the weekend. That group included six Core i7 and six Core i5 chips for desktop machines, as well as ten varieties of Core i7 notebook chips.
All of the mobile parts being announced today belong to the i7 family and, like their desktop counterparts, they're all quad-core chips with Hyperthreading enabled. The differences here come in the suffixes: the MX and MQ parts (reversed from Ivy Bridge's QM and QX suffixes) come with the Intel HD 4600 GPU, while most of the HQ parts come with the faster Iris Pro 5200 GPU.
With today's announcement of dual-core Haswell chips highlighted by AnandTech, the picture for Apple's notebook lineup comes into more focus. Intel has emphasized mobile chips for this round of dual-core launches, a move that will likely see the chips showing in updated MacBook Airs and 13-inch MacBook Pros as soon as next week.

A notebook refresh is expected to be the hardware highlight of WWDC alongside previews of OS X 10.9 and iOS 7. The latest rumors suggest that Apple may even be able to slim down the 13-inch Retina MacBook Pro, which is currently slightly thicker than its 15-inch sibling. Less substantial tweaks are expected for the MacBook Air, although the move to Haswell should offer significant performance improvements in certain areas.

Article Link: Intel Launches Haswell Processors Ahead of WWDC Mac Updates

Last edited:

greenwta

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2008
Do you think they will give the boost to the 15" rMBP as well? Is there any reason to believe they would not?

voyagerd

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2002
Rancho Cordova, CA
I look forward to getting a 15" Haswell MacBook Pro, even if they probably won't release it at WWDC. They might announce that it will be shipping later, though.

really excited about WWDC '13 next monday

Been holding out for a iphone and rMBP for over a year now!

Can't wait

PS i hope apple has been listening to their customers, bring us raw power as well as the magic of apple!
And RIP to stupidly overpriced upgrades to our MAC - like charging 200% on SSD is criminal!

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
I'm so confused as to when Haswell actually launched. My friends has been running it since Sunday as he was able to pick it up in store off the shelf.

I think your friend picked up the last revision of the latest chip. Haswell hasn't even launched desktop chips as far as I know yet.

GREEN4U

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2010
Haswell is such an ugly name. It sounds like a high school principal or something.

Sneakz

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I think your friend picked up the last revision of the latest chip. Haswell hasn't even launched desktop chips as far as I know yet.
Nope, he's got a 4670K on a Z87 mobo. It's been on sale in Canada since Sunday. I know TigerDirect and Newegg Canada have had it available since then as well.

InfoTime

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
I care about this only if it means a new Mac Pro will be announced and shipping soon.

jfx94

macrumors regular
May 22, 2013
where ever I am at.
Keeping my fingers crossed that the new integrated graphics will be able to drive the full resolution display at a significantly higher frame rate on the 15" rMBP.

Counting down the days till next Monday...

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
I care about this only if it means a new Mac Pro will be announced and shipping soon.

Well then this news will not please you. Haswell will have nothing to do with the Mac Pro this year. If the Mac Pro is updated this year it would be with the Ivy Bridge Xeons when they are available.

bytethese

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2007
Can't wait

That "Shut up and take my money" meme comes to mind. Been looking to replace my Mid-2009 13" MBP, looking into a 13" rMBP and new processors and possibly a slimmer design have my interest piqued!

TheHateMachine

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2012
Can't wait for the Apple ARM version of the MacBooks

Yea I cannot wait for under powered chips that will introduce a myriad of software compatibility issues for a small power advantage and to stick it to Intel.

:rolleyes:

The latest rumors suggest that Apple may even be able to slim down the 13-inch Retina MacBook Pro, which is currently slightly thicker than its 15-inch sibling.

This is really stupid if this rumor is true. Instead of increasing battery longevity due to the decreased power draw, they might cut the battery down to make the laptop slimmer and have the current battery life?

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
Of course, we all know in reality we'll be seeing about 2.5 hours of battery life in realistic usage scenarios, as usual.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Personally I love the headline. I know this is MR. But in actuality - it's just that Intel Launches Haswell Processors.

The fact that it's before WWDC or MIGHT be part of Mac Updates is really secondary.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.