Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jason B

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 21, 2010
Any fix for poor range on iphone 5 Wifi??

The range on this is really bad. My ipod 4g has much more range when I got outside, vs the iphone 5.

lukejc1

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2013
Wisconsin

The range on this is really bad. My ipod 4g has much more range when I got outside, vs the iphone 5.

Try WiFi Booster.

Obviously this tweak does not enhance the hardware at all. That is not possible for any tweak. What WiFi Booster does is removes the artificial signal limit that Apple has installed in iOS and allows you to connect to weaker signals.

I use this on my iPad 3 and it works as advertised.

Jason B

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 21, 2010
Thanks just installed it. It shows some numbers next to the wifi networks, like -42. Is the lower the number the stronger the signal? Is there a reference to what those #'s mean?

I returned my last iphone 5 for another issue, and it's this new one that the wifi doesn't go as far in my house. Sucks. The old one would let me go outside...

Last edited:

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
If your case it sounds like a hardware issue. If that's the case then a replacement is the only real solution.

Thanks just installed it. It shows some numbers next to the wifi networks, like -42. Is the lower the number the stronger the signal? Is there a reference to what those #'s mean?
No, the opposite. Higher numbers mean stronger signal. For example, -35 is greater than -42 (keep in mind these numbers are negative). -35 would be the stronger signal.

See also:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DBm

Jason B

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 21, 2010
Thanks for explaining, makes sense now.

The program solved my problem it seems. I can now use it outside! Thanks for the help.

One issue. It seems after I got back into settings/wifi a few times that I lose the tweak. The ip address and db numbers go away and I have to "respring" to get the tweak back. Is this just how it is? I tried re-installing and same thing.

kalirob99

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2008
California
Thanks for explaining, makes sense now.

The program solved my problem it seems. I can now use it outside! Thanks for the help.

One issue. It seems after I got back into settings/wifi a few times that I lose the tweak. The ip address and db numbers go away and I have to "respring" to get the tweak back. Is this just how it is? I tried re-installing and same thing.

It's a known issue, but you don't have to respring. Just close the settings app and reopen.

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2010
It sounds like you have a faulty phone more than anything. I would suggest getting a replacement phone, although you will lose your jailbreak...

Jason B

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 21, 2010
It sounds like you have a faulty phone more than anything. I would suggest getting a replacement phone, although you will lose your jailbreak...

Well, it's just at my house where it seems to happen. The new one just doesn't have quite the wifi range when I go outside. I'm afraid if I get another it could be worse.

The main reason I returned it was due to the wifi throughput issue. While I can get speeds for 52mb down when connected to N, when downloading files or playing youtube videos, speeds are slow and faster on 4g. That's why I returned it, and the new one wasn't any better. Rumor is there is a apple branded wifi chip and an intel wifi chip and the intel one supposedly doesn't do this, but apple says there is only one chip and it's never changed.... WHo knows the real truth.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.