Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
So my System Preferences has frozen. Never done that before. It froze on the "Desktop and Screensaver" panel. I clicked on one of the iPhoto folders and it just suddenly froze. I forced quit and re-opened which didn't help. When I re-open the iPhoto folders don't load and I just get the spinning wheel. Also restarting my Mac doesn't help and relaunching the Finder doesn't help. Any ideas?

Nov 28, 2010
located
How much time have you given System Preferences to try to load the iPhoto Library? Is the iPhoto Library on your internal HDD / SSD or an external HDD?

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
How much time have you given System Preferences to try to load the iPhoto Library? Is the iPhoto Library on your internal HDD / SSD or an external HDD?

My iPhoto library always loads instantly upon opening the Desktop/Screensaver pane. I found out I can open System Prefs while holding the shift key therefore allowing me to access all other panes. But once I click on the Desktop/Screensaver Pane it freezes in a second or two and the iPhoto folders don't show up. I just get the beach ball again.

iPhoto library is on my internal drive.

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
Okay so I figured it out. When I click on the iPhoto triangle therefore showing all the folders within it there's one that if I click on it it freezes preferences. This option doesn't even show up in iPhoto when I open it. Maybe it's one of those "hidden files". I there is a way to remove it that would be great.

It's a file or folder called 2012-07-20. Here's a screenshot. Maybe someone knows what it is.

https://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=415181&stc=1&d=1370375003

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-06-04 at 3.40.52 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-06-04 at 3.40.52 PM.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 311

The Gorn

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2009
Connecticut
Desktop Pics & Screensavers Frozen Here, Too!

I'm having the same infuriating problem! Only my System Preferences locks up simply by opening the Desktop Pictures & Screensaver panel. I tried trashing the .plist file and .plist.lockfile, and repaired permissions - all to of no avail.

Thanx in advance for any other suggestions!

n6ac

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2009
Imac 2008 with new Crucial M500 SSD - Locking up

Imac 2008 with new Crucial M500 SSD running 10.6.8 - System Preferences locks up, beachballing - and Menu bar never completely loads its usual stuff - and can't take screenshots
I booted with cmd-S and used Applejack to clean caches - no joy

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.