Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

According to Time Warner Cable CEO Glenn Britt, who spoke to investors at the Bank of America Merill Lynch Global Telecom and Media Conference today (via FierceCable), Time Warner is in talks with Apple, Microsoft, and Samsung over potential streaming video deals that are similar to its existing partnership with Roku.

Time Warner Cable brought its authenticated cable service, TWC TV, to Roku in March. With the app, Time Warner Cable subscribers are able to watch up to 300 live TV channels with any TV connected to a Roku device, without the need for a cable box. Time Warner has a similar deal with Samsung to deliver cable programming to its connected TVs.

apple_tv_interface_2012.jpg
"You should assume we're talking to everyone who makes devices like this, whether it's Samsung smart TVs, Apple, Microsoft," Britt said at the Bank of America Merrill Lynch Global Telecom and Media conference. Britt's remarks suggest Time Warner Cable may eventually offer the TWC TV app through the Apple TV set-top and Microsoft's new Xbox One gaming console, which will debut later this year.
Apple recently struck a deal with the CW network to bring content to the Apple TV through a dedicated CW app, and it appears that Apple is open to other deals that could potentially bring the TWC TV to the Apple TV. Presumably, such an app would function similarly to the version offered via Roku, allowing Time Warner Cable subscribers to use the Apple TV to stream live television channels.

Britt's comments confirm a Wall Street Journal report from last year, which suggested that Apple was working on deals to create a set-top box that would allow user to view live cable channels.

Such deals with cable companies are necessary if Apple wants to expand its product lineup with additional TV-centric products like the "iTV," which has been rumored to be in the works since 2011. At the D11 conference last week, Apple CEO Tim Cook reiterated that television continues to be an "area of great interest" for the company.

Article Link: Time Warner Cable in Talks with Apple on Streaming Video Deals

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

According to Time Warner Cable CEO Glenn Britt, who spoke to investors at the Bank of America Merill Lynch Global Telecom and Media Conference today (via FierceCable), Time Warner is in talks with Apple, Microsoft, and Samsung over potential streaming video deals that are similar to its existing partnership with Roku.

Time Warner Cable brought its authenticated cable service, TWC TV, to Roku in March. With the app, Time Warner Cable subscribers are able to watch up to 300 live TV channels with any TV connected to a Roku device, without the need for a cable box. Time Warner has a similar deal with Samsung to deliver cable programming to its connected TVs.

Apple recently struck a deal with the CW network to bring content to the Apple TV through a dedicated CW app, and it appears that Apple is open to other deals that could potentially bring the TWC TV to the Apple TV. Presumably, such an app would function similarly to the version offered via Roku, allowing Time Warner Cable subscribers to use the Apple TV to stream live television channels.

Britt's comments confirm a Wall Street Journal report from last year, which suggested that Apple was working on deals to create a set-top box that would allow user to view live cable channels.

Such deals with cable companies are necessary if Apple wants to expand its product lineup with additional TV-centric products like the "iTV," which has been rumored to be in the works since 2011. At the D11 conference last week, Apple CEO Tim Cook reiterated that television continues to be an "area of great interest" for the company.

Article Link: Time Warner Cable in Talks with Apple on Streaming Video Deals

Fantastic headline. I'm sure it will get lots of clicks. As the quote says - one should assume (and don't we already anyway) that if TWC is talking about streaming services - they are talking to the likes of Microsoft, Samsung, Apple, etc

Also - the press should stop referring to it as iTV.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
Ok, so what am I missing? It seems like the only benefit to the TWC app is that you can avoid renting an additional set top box if you've got an Apple TV to stream from right? Otherwise, you have to be a TWC subscriber already and probably can't use the app on an iPad outside of your home wifi network. Snooze.

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
Not sure what the point of this would be if you still need to sign up for the same cable package. If they offered a streaming only package for cheaper, then you have something.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Ok, so what am I missing? It seems like the only benefit to the TWC app is that you can avoid renting an additional set top box if you've got an Apple TV to stream from right? Otherwise, you have to be a TWC subscriber already and probably can't use the app on an iPad outside of your home wifi network. Snooze.

It's not terribly exciting other than it might save you a few box of a box rental. And one less remote/etc.

But overall - it's not "magical."

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
Such deals with cable companies are necessary if Apple wants to expand its product lineup with additional TV-centric products like the "iTV,"

:rolleyes:

In case no-one has said this before :rolleyes:, it won't be called that.

And people will keep saying this every time those three letters are used together in every article about Apple and television. I'm boring myself even typing this.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
If there is something worked out where we can finally get live TV or something streaming where we can have our content without having to use a Time Warner box, I may be inclined to use them again myself.

What they will need to do is ensure pricing is right. I'm not paying $80 for cable alone (after any introductory price expires) and then pay for streaming content.

I want NFL Sunday Ticket and what is available on Hulu, minus movies.

Jeaz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2009
Sweden
No, I think they are going at this the wrong way. You can't win over the TV-market by making the deals with CW, Warner or anyone. On the biggest problem is that any deals you make are A) Temporary and B) local.
Even if the US is a big market and probably Apples main focus, it's a small part of the global market.

Instead, release an app store, have the same rules as everywhere else. 30% cut on subscription fees. The big ones will resist at first, with enough customers on the AppleTV, they'll come around.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Not sure what the point of this would be if you still need to sign up for the same cable package. If they offered a streaming only package for cheaper, then you have something.

The only point would be if the interface of the Apple TV was better than the interface of Time Warner's boxes. Your choice would be to rent Time Warner's boxes for like $10/month or buy a $99 Apple TV. (Similar to the choice users have now with Tivo vs Time Warner's boxes)

fa8362

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2008
I don't need or want any of it. I pay $8 per month for Netflix and nothing for TV, since it's free with cable internet.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I'm glad Apple is catching up with Roku's concepts

Allegedly.

For all we know, Time Warner came to the table and said "hey we'll be happy to let you add our Time Warner TV to your service." and Apple countered. "No thanks, we want you let folks subscribe directly to HBO and such via the existing apps. Without needing cable. Oh and stop making folks wait for a zillion months to get legal downloads for Warners stuff."

ConCat

macrumors 6502a
Also - the press should stop referring to it as iTV.

Seriously. iTV is already taken guys! There's a reason they called it the Apple TV, a name that doesn't jive with the vast majority of their products. They simply couldn't use iTV.

As an alternative, how about we call it "Apple Television" from now on? You know... A generic term for a television made by Apple. Sounds good to me!

Of course there's also iTube (probably not since this is more of a reference to the vacuum tubes of old...), iWatch (works for a television, but works better for a watch. Who knows.), iStream (maybe...) or iVision (actually sounds quite nice).

Last edited:

abbstrack

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2008
SoCal
so according to this article, apple isn't looking to innovate in the TV space, but rather be a 'me too' company.

no thanks. i'm trying to cut cable, not switch set top boxes.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
p.s. you can tell how old these rumors have gone on by the image that gets reused and what was a "top movie"

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Where would iTunes be today if you had to buy the cd before you could download the music to listen to?

If these are the type deals Apple is spending it's time negotiating, they need to get a clue! Wow...I get to eliminate a cable box!! :rolleyes:

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
Just getting cable companies to give up their grip on hardware would be a great step in the right direction. Maybe they are starting to acknowledge that they don't need to be in the hardware business.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Seriously. iTV is already taken guys! There's a reason they called it the Apple TV, a name that doesn't jive with the vast majority of their products. They simply couldn't use iTV.

As an alternative, how about we call it "Apple Television" from now on? You know... A generic term for a television made by Apple. Sounds good to me!

Of course there's also iTube (probably not since this is more of a reference to the vacuum tubes of old...), iWatch (works for a television, but works better for a watch. Who knows.), iStream (maybe...) or iVision (actually sounds quite nice).

I'll add in iScreen

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.