Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Last edited:

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
"Proof of concept" and "virus in the wild" are two different things. It also only affects 32-bit code.

It's interesting, but I'd want to know more before passing any judgment. The fact that the vector is now known makes it a target for defensive patches by Apple that will seal the hole.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_...-concept-malware-demonstrates-virus-for-os-x/

Could this foreshadow OSX becoming plaged by windows? What do you think?

This isn't the first time there has been has been a proof of concept virus for Macs, but since it doesn't exist in the wild, it poses no threat to Mac users at this time. There were viruses in the wild for Mac OS 9 and earlier, but there has never been a virus for OS X in the wild. Of course, this could change at any point in the future.

Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released over 10 years ago. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which can be easily avoided by practicing safe computing (see below). Until a true virus is released in the wild, 3rd party antivirus apps are not necessary to keep a Mac malware-free, as long as a user practices safe computing, as described in the following link.

Read the What security steps should I take? section of the Mac Virus/Malware FAQ for tips on practicing safe computing.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Thanks for your replies, I recognize a few of you from other security threads. I hope this doesn't mean a mainstream virus threat will happen.

I hope Apple patches it, but I'm sad I cannot say that there are no virus for OSX anymore....there is malware, but no viruses, until now....

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Thanks for your replies, I recognize a few of you from other security threads. I hope this doesn't mean a mainstream virus threat will happen.

I hope Apple patches it, but I'm sad I cannot say that there are no virus for OSX anymore....there is malware, but no viruses, until now....
You can continue to say that there are no OS X viruses in the wild, which are the only viruses that pose a threat to Mac users. That hasn't changed.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
Here
You can continue to say that there are no OS X viruses in the wild, which are the only viruses that pose a threat to Mac users. That hasn't changed.

Oh, true. Thanks! I do hope that in the wild viruses don't become a problem though...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.