Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Jun 4, 2013, 05:28 PM   #1
TedM
macrumors 6502

America is Accelerating the Apocolypse

http://www.salon.com/2013/06/04/noam...lypse_partner/

Noam Chomsky, one of my favorite people around. Popularly known for his propaganda model which I find fascinating. Anyways take a look at what he has to say. Also what do you think?
Old Jun 4, 2013, 05:54 PM   #2
DUCKofD3ATH
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedM View Post

Noam Chomsky, one of my favorite people around. Popularly known for his propaganda model which I find fascinating. Anyways take a look at what he has to say. Also what do you think?
Come dance Noam Chomsky's Apocolypso! It's got a crazy beat so you don't have to think on your feet, mon!
DUCKofD3ATH is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2013, 02:17 AM   #3
jnpy!$4g3cwk
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedM View Post

Noam Chomsky is one of the few actual leftists in the U.S. As a moderate, I find it uncomfortable not to be in the middle, so, it is nice to have someone out there. On the other hand, I have always found Chomsky's selective stringing together of facts to be extremely misleading.

For example, it is a fact that the Reagan Administration was greatly alarming the Soviet Union in 1982-1983, creating an extremely dangerous situation. The sequence of events was described in Oleg Gordievsky's (first) book, and, the sequence of events is something that everyone should know about. But, given Chomsky's strange slant, who would know what to believe in what he says? One minute he is describing a very dangerous period in the history of the Cold War, the next he is rationalizing the craziest actions of North Korea.
jnpy!$4g3cwk is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2013, 04:53 AM   #4
localoid
macrumors 68020

I'm disappointed he didn't mention the Grey Goo scenario...
Old Jun 5, 2013, 03:27 PM   #5
skunk
macrumors Demi-God

Isn't the correct term "immanentising the eschaton"?
Old Jun 6, 2013, 05:42 AM   #6
Peterkro
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by skunk View Post
Now that's not a phrase you hear everyday.Though it doesn't surprise me that the right wing nuckfuts have a term to describe "any attempt to improve the conditions of humans is against gods will.
Peterkro is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 07:42 AM   #7
Happybunny
macrumors 68000

Quote:
I must admit I really did have to Google that one.
Still it shows that you really do learn new things on this site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterkro View Post
Now that's not a phrase you hear everyday.Though it doesn't surprise me that the right wing nuckfuts have a term to describe "any attempt to improve the conditions of humans is against gods will.
I agree, it's how I view these overly religious types.
I have stored the phrase "Immanentising the eschaton" and cannot wait to use in a sentence.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 08:32 AM   #8
.Andy
macrumors 68030

Quote:
I hadn't heard is phrase but it's a definite keeper
Old Jun 6, 2013, 09:31 AM   #9
jnpy!$4g3cwk
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterkro View Post
It was an everyday thing back in -- 1965 was it? William F. Buckley, Jr. made it popular-- in the negative form. "Don't immanentize the eschaton." I think it was even on a bumper sticker. It was kind of funny, but, not totally, since, as you say, it was taken up as a slogan by young conservatives who wanted to excuse the way things are. At the time, "they way things are" included, in particular, the social acceptance of the lack of civil rights for people of color. I had forgotten all about that little slogan.
jnpy!$4g3cwk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 11:29 AM   #10
LIVEFRMNYC
macrumors 68040

Without America, imagine how many World Wars would have become. Imagine how much land would be destroyed globally for profit compared to now. It's easy to point to any cause, but nobody gives prevention the respect it deserves.
LIVEFRMNYC is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 11:35 AM   #11
Happybunny
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIVEFRMNYC View Post
Without America, imagine how many World Wars would have become. Imagine how much land would be destroyed globally for profit compared to now. It's easy to point to any cause, but nobody gives prevention the respect it deserves.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 11:44 AM   #12
LIVEFRMNYC
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happybunny View Post

LIVEFRMNYC is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 12:18 PM   #13
Happybunny
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Then for the last 24 years as the only superpower you've been the bully on the block. You set such a bad example of using arbitrary force that other countries have started to to use it as the blueprint of normality.

Iraq 2003 a war waged because of Oil and nothing to do with WMD.

Prevention you joke, Afghanistan you moved in to drive out the Taliban, you fought the longest war in US history. The whole world and his dog knows the second you leave the Taliban will be back in power within weeks if not days.

The world is not safer than it was 25 years ago in the cold war, if anything it's got worse.

Compare life in the US back in 1980's and now look, TSA at airports, DoH's wide ranging powers, the militarism of you police departments. Do you honestly feel safer.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 12:38 PM   #14
LIVEFRMNYC
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Then for the last 24 years as the only superpower you've been the bully on the block. You set such a bad example of using arbitrary force that other countries have started to to use it as the blueprint of normality.

Iraq 2003 a war waged because of Oil and nothing to do with WMD.

Prevention you joke, Afghanistan you moved in to drive out the Taliban, you fought the longest war in US history. The whole world and his dog knows the second you leave the Taliban will be back in power within weeks if not days.

The world is not safer than it was 25 years ago in the cold war, if anything it's got worse.

Compare life in the US back in 1980's and now look, TSA at airports, DoH's wide ranging powers, the militarism of you police departments. Do you honestly feel safer.
You just proved my point about prevention. Your more focused on the wrong.

For example ....... You think Israel and South Korea would still be in existence if wasn't for America?
LIVEFRMNYC is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 12:48 PM   #15
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
For example ....... You think Israel and South Korea would still be in existence if wasn't for America?
It might be different.

It might even be better.

It's impossible to say.
citizenzen is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 01:06 PM   #16
skunk
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
You just proved my point about prevention. Your more focused on the wrong.

Israel would have had to reach an accommodation with their neighbours, and Korea would have been united under the democratically elected Kim Il Sung. The Iraqis would eventually have got rid of Saddam Hussein and his horrible sons, and Iran would be totally different - and probably a lot better. Cuba, Chile, Central America, all these might have been spared decades of strife. The list is long.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 01:45 PM   #17
LIVEFRMNYC
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenzen View Post
It might be different.

It might even be better.

It's impossible to say.
True, but it's not hard to come up with a most likely assumption. We are pretty decent in predicting the future, I think were just as capable when it comes to an alternate past.

Quote:
Israel would have had to reach an accommodation with their neighbours, and Korea would have been united under the democratically elected Kim Il Sung. The Iraqis would eventually have got rid of Saddam Hussein and his horrible sons, and Iran would be totally different - and probably a lot better. Cuba, Chile, Central America, all these might have been spared decades of strife. The list is long.
I disagree with that. But hey, none of us can prove it. Which happens to be my point about the lack of appreciation for prevention. I truly believe America has prevented much potential disaster in this world financially, influential, socially, and from a military standpoint. But the average person will only see what happens as supposed to what else could have happen.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 01:56 PM   #18
Happybunny
macrumors 68000

Quote:
But the average person will only see what happens as supposed to what else could have happen.

Of course you committed the two greatest crimes against humanity, by giving us the Kardashians and Honey Boo Boo. There is no denying that they did happen.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 02:08 PM   #19
LIVEFRMNYC
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Of course you committed the two greatest crimes against humanity, by giving us the Kardashians and Honey Boo Boo. There is no denying that they did happen.
Ok, you win by unfair default.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 02:13 PM   #20
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Quote:

Actually, it's the fault of your country and Endemol, the de-facto creators of reality TV programming we know today.
rdowns is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 02:37 PM   #21
Happybunny
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdowns View Post
Actually, it's the fault of your country and Endemol, the de-facto creators of reality TV programming we know today.
While it's true that Endemol started it all, all they can be accused of is making very bad crap TV. But for true apocalyptic spawn of the Devil, the Kardashians and Honey Boo Boo are in a totally different league.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 02:40 PM   #22
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
We are pretty decent in predicting the future, I think were just as capable when it comes to an alternate past.
Attempting either is way above my pay grade.
citizenzen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 03:22 PM   #23
localoid
macrumors 68020

Where's my flux capacitor?

Quote:
... We are pretty decent in predicting the future, I think were just as capable when it comes to an alternate past.
Predictions about the astounding world of the future are always astounding!

Old Jun 6, 2013, 04:21 PM   #24
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by localoid View Post
Predictions about the astounding world of the future are always astounding!
Astounding future is astounding!

And funny.
citizenzen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 06:30 PM   #25
LIVEFRMNYC
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by localoid View Post
predictions about the astounding world of the future are always astounding!

youtube: video
lmao!!!!

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Tags
discussion