Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jun 4, 2013, 05:54 PM   #1
Resist
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Black Trim for Display

I'm very interested in a Macbook Air but don't like the silver trim around the display. Guess I'm just used to the black trim on my 13" Macbook Pro, plust I think is looks better than silver. Anyone know of a good source for black trim for the display? Maybe some sort of stick on part.
Resist is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2013, 06:26 PM   #2
unknownfps
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
I don't think there's gonna be any changes for the silver bezels.
Think of the silver bezels around MBA display as an "exclusive," basically distinguishing the models between the MBA and (c/r)MBP's
unknownfps is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2013, 01:47 AM   #3
Resist
Thread Starter
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknownfps View Post
I don't think there's gonna be any changes for the silver bezels.
Think of the silver bezels around MBA display as an "exclusive," basically distinguishing the models between the MBA and (c/r)MBP's
I didn't think Apple was going to change them to black, even though I wish they should. The silver trim is distracting from the display, a black bezel is easier on the eyes. I was hoping there might be an after market source that could be stuck over the silver trim.
Resist is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2013, 06:19 AM   #4
currins
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
I agree! The main draw back, for me, on the Air is the silver bezel.
currins is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2013, 08:10 AM   #5
LeeM
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
this was another thing that swung me towards a 13" pro over an air. now ive got my 11" air as well, you get used to it after a while but then when you go back to the pro it looks much classier
LeeM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2013, 01:49 PM   #6
oneMadRssn
macrumors 65816
 
oneMadRssn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Boston, MA
I've seen this, but they're a UK seller. http://www.precioustore.com/air-13-black.html
__________________
2012 Mac Mini 2.3ghz i7 Quad Core 4GB RAM 128GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD 1TB Spinner | iPhone 5 (Sprint) 16GB
oneMadRssn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2013, 03:00 PM   #7
chumawumba
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Ask the NSA
I found one for MacBook Pro, but would it work with the Air?

http://www.amazon.com/Moshi-iVisor-P...ref=pd_sim_e_6
chumawumba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2013, 06:34 PM   #8
animatedude
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
the black bezel do look sexier on the air...would love to have one with black bezel but i'm not sure it's possible.
animatedude is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2013, 09:41 PM   #9
Resist
Thread Starter
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedude View Post
the black bezel do look sexier on the air...would love to have one with black bezel but i'm not sure it's possible.
It's possible with a vinyl or paper overlay. The silver is way to distracting to the eye, while darker colors around any screen help to keep the eyes on the screen. The same is true with TV screens. If Apple released the Air with a black bezel I would buy it, but sadly this lack of forethought prevents me from getting one. Maybe if the screen filled the entire lid space then it wouldn't be an issue for me.
Resist is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 12:23 AM   #10
PraisiX-windows
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2011
I much prefer the silver bezel.
I really dislike when I'm not entirely sure where the screen ends and where the bezel starts.
Also it takes away from the design of the laptop when you suddenly add in a black bezel - I don't think it looks good on the macbook pros either.
PraisiX-windows is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 04:19 AM   #11
TC25
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resist View Post
The silver is way to distracting to the eye, while darker colors around any screen help to keep the eyes on the screen. The same is true with TV screens.
Do you have anything but Internet credentials for spouting these 'facts'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resist View Post
If Apple released the Air with a black bezel I would buy it, but sadly this lack of forethought prevents me from getting one.
Lack of forethought, eh? Not buying one of the best laptops because of a silver bezel?
TC25 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 08:30 AM   #12
Psychj0e
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by TC25 View Post
Do you have anything but Internet credentials for spouting these 'facts'?


Lack of forethought, eh? Not buying one of the best laptops because of a silver bezel?
He's right about the bezel color being distracting. It's not internet credentials, its scientific fact. A basic one at that.

Last edited by Psychj0e; Jun 6, 2013 at 08:36 AM.
Psychj0e is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 08:42 AM   #13
TC25
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychj0e View Post
He's right about the bezel color being distracting. It's not internet credentials, its scientific fact. A basic one at that.
Wow, not just a scientific fact, but a basic one. I'm impressed.

A scientific fact according to what source?
TC25 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 09:13 AM   #14
Psychj0e
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by TC25 View Post
Wow, not just a scientific fact, but a basic one. I'm impressed.

A scientific fact according to what source?
It's good to find things out for yourself, so why don't you google it?

Start with contrast effect.
Psychj0e is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 09:24 AM   #15
TC25
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychj0e View Post
It's good to find things out for yourself, so why don't you google it?

Start with contrast effect.
As I thought, opinion, not fact and to not buy an MBA because of it is .
TC25 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 09:43 AM   #16
oneMadRssn
macrumors 65816
 
oneMadRssn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Boston, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by TC25 View Post
Do you have anything but Internet credentials for spouting these 'facts'?


Lack of forethought, eh? Not buying one of the best laptops because of a silver bezel?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TC25 View Post
Wow, not just a scientific fact, but a basic one. I'm impressed.

A scientific fact according to what source?
Contour and Contrast Floyd Ratliff Proceedings of the American Philosophical Society Vol. 115, No. 2 (Apr. 22, 1971), pp. 150-163.

If you don't have a jstor account, the jist of the few pages I read say that contracting colors are used to establish a contour, and our eyes / brain is naturally attracted to contours rather than the negative space in between them.

Thus, when looking at a white square painted on a black wall, you're not looking at the center of the square (unless you try to focus there on purpose), but rather naturally your eyes will be drawn to the border. Therefore, if the screen seamlessly transitions from bezel with no easy to see contours, the eye is less distracted.

There were about a dozen other papers on point when I searched for contrast and eyes in jstor medical and science journals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC25 View Post
As I thought, opinion, not fact and to not buy an MBA because of it is .
Wat?
__________________
2012 Mac Mini 2.3ghz i7 Quad Core 4GB RAM 128GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD 1TB Spinner | iPhone 5 (Sprint) 16GB
oneMadRssn is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 11:22 AM   #17
TC25
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneMadRssn View Post
Wat?
1. I guess Apple is stupid and clearly uneducated which is why they have a silver bezel around the screen on their MBAs.

2. Someone earlier in this thread said they would not buy a MacBook Air because they have a silver bezel which is just bizarre.
TC25 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 12:43 PM   #18
Psychj0e
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by TC25 View Post
As I thought, opinion, not fact and to not buy an MBA because of it is .
So because you can't be bothered to take a moment to learn something new, it's an opinion?

Are you scared to google, because you know the stuff you find means you're wrong? Or is it because you don't want to update your world view?
Psychj0e is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 01:20 PM   #19
oneMadRssn
macrumors 65816
 
oneMadRssn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Boston, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by TC25 View Post
1. I guess Apple is stupid and clearly uneducated which is why they have a silver bezel around the screen on their MBAs.
Apple isn't stupid or uneducated, they just considered other factors that are outside of this arguement. Apple isn't known for prioritizing function over form. In fact, I would argue they prioritize form over function, but they try to keep as much function as possible; as long as it doesn't get in the way of form. So I'm sure they know that a black bezel is best, but they decided a silver bezel looks prettier (and I agree) and prettier is more important than the minor functional benefit. The matte-screen cMBPs also have silver bezels. I'm willing to bet they couldn't figure out how to make a silver bezel behind the glass top in a way that looked as nice, so they went with black instead.

For an example of a laptop which is entirely function over form, with no compromises to look pretty:


Quote:
Originally Posted by TC25 View Post
2. Someone earlier in this thread said they would not buy a MacBook Air because they have a silver bezel which is just bizarre.
Yea that's a silly basis for not purchasing a computer, no arguement there.
__________________
2012 Mac Mini 2.3ghz i7 Quad Core 4GB RAM 128GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD 1TB Spinner | iPhone 5 (Sprint) 16GB
oneMadRssn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 01:28 PM   #20
Jesla
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Tennessee USA
geeezz.....

Just put sunglasses on and turn the brightness all the way up.

Problem sloved!

Jesla is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2013, 12:34 PM   #21
Resist
Thread Starter
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by TC25 View Post
Not buying one of the best laptops because of a silver bezel?
Aesthetics is very important in my opinion. So yes, I wouldn't buy an Air because of the silver bezel. Nor would I buy the Air if they came painted purple.
Resist is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2013, 02:52 PM   #22
PraisiX-windows
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychj0e View Post
He's right about the bezel color being distracting. It's not internet credentials, its scientific fact. A basic one at that.
I would definitely find the black color more distracting afterall the rest of the notebook is silver,*the bezel being silver would not be distracting.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resist View Post
Aesthetics is very important in my opinion. So yes, I wouldn't buy an Air because of the silver bezel. Nor would I buy the Air if they came painted purple.
But why would you want a black bezel? Your computer is silver.
If you bought a yellow computer and the bezel was pink, then that would be distracting. If you bought a black computer and the bezel was orange, then sure, that could be distracting too, but you can't buy a silver computer and find a silver bezel distracting, no, you can't, at least I really doubt that. Are you distracted too when you look at your screen and you see your touchpad and palm rest and the rest of that silver surface? No.
PraisiX-windows is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2013, 03:03 PM   #23
B...
macrumors 68000
 
B...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by PraisiX-windows View Post
I would definitely find the black color more distracting afterall the rest of the notebook is silver,*the bezel being silver would not be distracting.

----------



But why would you want a black bezel? Your computer is silver.
If you bought a yellow computer and the bezel was pink, then that would be distracting. If you bought a black computer and the bezel was orange, then sure, that could be distracting too, but you can't buy a silver computer and find a silver bezel distracting, no, you can't, at least I really doubt that. Are you distracted too when you look at your screen and you see your touchpad and palm rest and the rest of that silver surface? No.
The MBP is silver with a black bezel.
B... is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2013, 03:30 PM   #24
Resist
Thread Starter
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by PraisiX-windows View Post
But why would you want a black bezel? Your computer is silver.
Because just like with most TV's, a black bezel is easier on the eyes when watching the display. It has nothing to do with the color of the rest of the computer. Think of it this way, when you're at a movie theater they dim the lights so you are more focused on the screen. It's the same reason most TV and Computer companies trim their screens in black, because it's less distracting than using lighter colors around them.
Resist is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2013, 07:34 AM   #25
PraisiX-windows
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by B... View Post
The MBP is silver with a black bezel.
I know, it's hideous.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resist View Post
Because just like with most TV's, a black bezel is easier on the eyes when watching the display. It has nothing to do with the color of the rest of the computer. Think of it this way, when you're at a movie theater they dim the lights so you are more focused on the screen. It's the same reason most TV and Computer companies trim their screens in black, because it's less distracting than using lighter colors around them.
That's hogwash. When they dim the lights in the cinema, it's to make everything less noticeable, so that you can concentrate on the movie, and the movie alone. Your bezel being black does not suddenly make the rest of your computer invisible. When TV makers make the screen black, it's most likely because they've chosen to make the rest of the TV black..
PraisiX-windows is offline   2 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Everything works but why it only display black? exhelion99 iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 0 Mar 1, 2014 09:53 AM
MacBook display went black asdfgbg MacBook Pro 0 Aug 8, 2013 03:23 PM
iPad: $11.95 - Amazon - Griffin Elan Folio Armor Case Stand - Black With Silver Trim - iPad iowndreams iPad Accessories 0 May 28, 2013 11:48 AM
Ssd samsung series 840 to trim o not to trim gianlucadr MacBook Pro 7 Jan 22, 2013 02:39 AM
rMBP - black trim under screen slightly loose tadziak MacBook Pro 2 Sep 21, 2012 11:53 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:02 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC