Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Resist

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
I'm very interested in a Macbook Air but don't like the silver trim around the display. Guess I'm just used to the black trim on my 13" Macbook Pro, plust I think is looks better than silver. Anyone know of a good source for black trim for the display? Maybe some sort of stick on part.

unknownfps

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2013
I don't think there's gonna be any changes for the silver bezels.
Think of the silver bezels around MBA display as an "exclusive," basically distinguishing the models between the MBA and (c/r)MBP's

Resist

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
I don't think there's gonna be any changes for the silver bezels.
Think of the silver bezels around MBA display as an "exclusive," basically distinguishing the models between the MBA and (c/r)MBP's
I didn't think Apple was going to change them to black, even though I wish they should. The silver trim is distracting from the display, a black bezel is easier on the eyes. I was hoping there might be an after market source that could be stuck over the silver trim.

LeeM

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2012
this was another thing that swung me towards a 13" pro over an air. now ive got my 11" air as well, you get used to it after a while but then when you go back to the pro it looks much classier

animatedude

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2010
the black bezel do look sexier on the air...would love to have one with black bezel but i'm not sure it's possible.

Resist

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
the black bezel do look sexier on the air...would love to have one with black bezel but i'm not sure it's possible.
It's possible with a vinyl or paper overlay. The silver is way to distracting to the eye, while darker colors around any screen help to keep the eyes on the screen. The same is true with TV screens. If Apple released the Air with a black bezel I would buy it, but sadly this lack of forethought prevents me from getting one. Maybe if the screen filled the entire lid space then it wouldn't be an issue for me.

PraisiX-windows

macrumors regular
May 19, 2011
I much prefer the silver bezel.
I really dislike when I'm not entirely sure where the screen ends and where the bezel starts.
Also it takes away from the design of the laptop when you suddenly add in a black bezel - I don't think it looks good on the macbook pros either.

TC25

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2011
The silver is way to distracting to the eye, while darker colors around any screen help to keep the eyes on the screen. The same is true with TV screens.
Do you have anything but Internet credentials for spouting these 'facts'?

If Apple released the Air with a black bezel I would buy it, but sadly this lack of forethought prevents me from getting one.
Lack of forethought, eh? Not buying one of the best laptops because of a silver bezel? :rolleyes:

Psychj0e

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2010

Lack of forethought, eh? Not buying one of the best laptops because of a silver bezel? :rolleyes:

He's right about the bezel color being distracting. It's not internet credentials, its scientific fact. A basic one at that.

Last edited:

TC25

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2011
He's right about the bezel color being distracting. It's not internet credentials, its scientific fact. A basic one at that.

Wow, not just a scientific fact, but a basic one. I'm impressed.

A scientific fact according to what source?

Psychj0e

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2010

It's good to find things out for yourself, so why don't you google it?

Start with contrast effect.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011

Contour and Contrast Floyd Ratliff Proceedings of the American Philosophical Society Vol. 115, No. 2 (Apr. 22, 1971), pp. 150-163.

If you don't have a jstor account, the jist of the few pages I read say that contracting colors are used to establish a contour, and our eyes / brain is naturally attracted to contours rather than the negative space in between them.

Thus, when looking at a white square painted on a black wall, you're not looking at the center of the square (unless you try to focus there on purpose), but rather naturally your eyes will be drawn to the border. Therefore, if the screen seamlessly transitions from bezel with no easy to see contours, the eye is less distracted.

There were about a dozen other papers on point when I searched for contrast and eyes in jstor medical and science journals.

As I thought, opinion, not fact and to not buy an MBA because of it is :rolleyes:.
Wat? :confused:

TC25

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2011

1. I guess Apple is stupid and clearly uneducated which is why they have a silver bezel around the screen on their MBAs.

2. Someone earlier in this thread said they would not buy a MacBook Air because they have a silver bezel which is just bizarre.

Psychj0e

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2010
As I thought, opinion, not fact and to not buy an MBA because of it is :rolleyes:.

So because you can't be bothered to take a moment to learn something new, it's an opinion?

Are you scared to google, because you know the stuff you find means you're wrong? Or is it because you don't want to update your world view?

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
1. I guess Apple is stupid and clearly uneducated which is why they have a silver bezel around the screen on their MBAs.
Apple isn't stupid or uneducated, they just considered other factors that are outside of this arguement. Apple isn't known for prioritizing function over form. In fact, I would argue they prioritize form over function, but they try to keep as much function as possible; as long as it doesn't get in the way of form. So I'm sure they know that a black bezel is best, but they decided a silver bezel looks prettier (and I agree) and prettier is more important than the minor functional benefit. The matte-screen cMBPs also have silver bezels. I'm willing to bet they couldn't figure out how to make a silver bezel behind the glass top in a way that looked as nice, so they went with black instead.

For an example of a laptop which is entirely function over form, with no compromises to look pretty:
99213-lenovo-ibm-thinkpad-at-a-slant.jpg

2. Someone earlier in this thread said they would not buy a MacBook Air because they have a silver bezel which is just bizarre.
Yea that's a silly basis for not purchasing a computer, no arguement there.

Resist

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
Not buying one of the best laptops because of a silver bezel? :rolleyes:
Aesthetics is very important in my opinion. So yes, I wouldn't buy an Air because of the silver bezel. Nor would I buy the Air if they came painted purple.

PraisiX-windows

macrumors regular
May 19, 2011

I would definitely find the black color more distracting afterall the rest of the notebook is silver,*the bezel being silver would not be distracting.

----------

Aesthetics is very important in my opinion. So yes, I wouldn't buy an Air because of the silver bezel. Nor would I buy the Air if they came painted purple.

But why would you want a black bezel? Your computer is silver.
If you bought a yellow computer and the bezel was pink, then that would be distracting. If you bought a black computer and the bezel was orange, then sure, that could be distracting too, but you can't buy a silver computer and find a silver bezel distracting, no, you can't, at least I really doubt that. Are you distracted too when you look at your screen and you see your touchpad and palm rest and the rest of that silver surface? No.

B...

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2013
I would definitely find the black color more distracting afterall the rest of the notebook is silver,*the bezel being silver would not be distracting.

----------

If you bought a yellow computer and the bezel was pink, then that would be distracting. If you bought a black computer and the bezel was orange, then sure, that could be distracting too, but you can't buy a silver computer and find a silver bezel distracting, no, you can't, at least I really doubt that. Are you distracted too when you look at your screen and you see your touchpad and palm rest and the rest of that silver surface? No.
The MBP is silver with a black bezel.

Resist

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
Because just like with most TV's, a black bezel is easier on the eyes when watching the display. It has nothing to do with the color of the rest of the computer. Think of it this way, when you're at a movie theater they dim the lights so you are more focused on the screen. It's the same reason most TV and Computer companies trim their screens in black, because it's less distracting than using lighter colors around them.

PraisiX-windows

macrumors regular
May 19, 2011
The MBP is silver with a black bezel.

I know, it's hideous.

----------

Because just like with most TV's, a black bezel is easier on the eyes when watching the display. It has nothing to do with the color of the rest of the computer. Think of it this way, when you're at a movie theater they dim the lights so you are more focused on the screen. It's the same reason most TV and Computer companies trim their screens in black, because it's less distracting than using lighter colors around them.

That's hogwash. When they dim the lights in the cinema, it's to make everything less noticeable, so that you can concentrate on the movie, and the movie alone. Your bezel being black does not suddenly make the rest of your computer invisible. When TV makers make the screen black, it's most likely because they've chosen to make the rest of the TV black..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.