Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 7

Old Jun 4, 2013, 05:25 PM   #1
TOMIMOT
macrumors regular

iOS 7 and OS X

If the rumors are to be true about apple adapting to a flatter redesign of iOS 7, ditching Forstall's skeuomorphism. Does that mean the next Mac OS X will also ditch the skeuomorphic element as well? Since iOS is/somewhat an adaptation of OS X. So if the "flat" design is true i wonder if OS X will also follow or go on a complete different path. What do you guys think?
Old Jun 4, 2013, 05:27 PM   #2
charlituna
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMIMOT View Post
If the rumors are to be true about apple adapting to a flatter redesign of iOS 7, ditching Forstall's skeuomorphism. Does that mean the next Mac OS X will also ditch the skeuomorphic element as well?
Very possible. I think that there is a general move to move to the same look and feel where it works in both systems.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 05:33 PM   #3
TOMIMOT
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post
Very possible. I think that there is a general move to move to the same look and feel where it works in both systems.
in my opinion this will be a very interesting conference, hmmm this could be a total new vision for apple. I guess we'll have to see how these two OS's intermingle, thats if...they do
Old Jun 4, 2013, 05:42 PM   #4
charlituna
macrumors 604

Quote:
in my opinion this will be a very interesting conference, hmmm this could be a total new vision for apple. I guess we'll have to see how these two OS's intermingle, thats if...they do
IF they do? they do. We've already seen Apple start with path with iCloud, adapting Launchpad from the iOS home screen etc.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 05:45 PM   #5
TOMIMOT
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post
IF they do? they do. We've already seen Apple start with path with iCloud, adapting Launchpad from the iOS home screen etc.
sorry, i was reffering to the skeuomorphic elements continuing in OS X
Old Jun 4, 2013, 05:48 PM   #6
Lostanddamned
macrumors 6502

I do hope we see the removal of skeuomorphics from OSX, I like how currently looks, but things like the stitching in Calendar, the book look of Contacts (themselves evidence to the convergence of OSX and iOS, with their renaming) and the design of Reminders and Notes need to go. The sooner the better.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 08:49 PM   #7
MattInOz
macrumors 68030

Quote:
sorry, i was reffering to the skeuomorphic elements continuing in OS X
OS X had already flatten a far bit over the last few releases. It did have a few "back to mac" that pulled back some of the excessive textures of iOS in with them. If those textures go from iOS I would expect OS X to follow suit.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 12:21 AM   #8
Knosrac
macrumors newbie

Eventually, yes.

After Ive finishes the iPhone redesign will come the iPad redesign. Then the Mac redesign.
Knosrac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2013, 12:56 AM   #9
ThisIsNotMe
macrumors 65816

The key for Apple's OS development has always been sharing features between the two OSes so that any user can pick up a mac and know how to use and and that same user can pick up an iPhone/iPad and know how to use an iPhone.

Windows however took this concept too far.

There are actually some great videos of people trying to use Mac/Pc coming from iOS and vice versa.
ThisIsNotMe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2013, 09:10 AM   #10
sdilley14
macrumors 6502a

I hope so. I like the idea of having streamlined interface elements across different devices. It wouldn't really make any sense, for example, to get rid of the faux leather and "yellow paper" background on the Notes app on iOS, but leave it as-is on OSX. I can't imagine them leaving the experience of same apps across different devices/platforms feeling that fragmented.
sdilley14 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 7