Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Not a big problem but I'd like to know how to revert back to normal/default settings.

I decided to download the full installer for Mountain Lion 10.8.4 (to update my USB installer copy & a new DVD installer). The strange thing is that it's putting the file(s) on my RAID0 data drive instead of the boot drive. A Library Folder & an Applications Folder were created on the previously empty volume.

Anyone know how to reset the default locations?

Nov 28, 2010
located
You go into your browser's preferences (Menu Bar > Safari / Opera / Firefox / Chrome > Preferences) and it should be visible in the first tab.

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
It's going to be a plist somewhere. Try at the top level /Library/Preferences folder.

There is an app store plist in the user library's Preference folder, but I'd be surprised if that attribute was controlled at the user level.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
It's going to be a plist somewhere. Try at the top level /Library/Preferences folder.

There is an app store plist in the user library's Preference folder, but I'd be surprised if that attribute was controlled at the user level.

Okay, I'll have a look. Here's the dealio, whenever an update to OSX comes out, I download the full installer (so that I can make a USB stick for clean installs if needed). I copy the install to 3 different drives for safe keeping (overkill, I know). When 10.8.4 came out I download as usual, and I was about to copy it from the Applications folder when low and behold.... It wasn't there. When I used the launch pad, I could see the installer app was ready and able to go, but when I looked in the /Applications folder it wasn't present.

It turns out, that the AppStore pointed to one of the other locations where I had 10.8.3 archived, and replaced it, and somehow put a link it the AppLauncher. I tried downloading it 5 times and got the same result each time.

So... I deleted ALL copies of the installer from my system and re-downloaded it again. Once again, it placed the new installer on my Archival drive once again.

I don't know what caused it, but I'd like to have work normally and put things in the Applications directory instead.

Could it be that because of indexing, the AppStore detected the saved 10.8.3 installer and redirected the download to that location?

I'll have a look at the plist in the location you advised.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.