Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jun 4, 2013, 08:52 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Pioneer Drops AirPlay Speaker Prices, Now Competitive with Bluetooth Models

As noted by Macworld, Pioneer has lowered the prices on several of its AirPlay speakers, which have, historically, been offered at a much higher pricing tier than Bluetooth speakers.
Quote:
The company recently dropped the price of its XW-SMA1 speaker from $299 to $149, while the prices of the XW-SMA3 and XW-SMA4 have similarly been cut in half from $399 to $199. (These changes aren't yet reflected on Pioneer's website, where the latter two speakers are still listed at $399.)
Macworld spoke to a Pioneer representative, who said that the company is aiming to make its AirPlay speakers price competitive with its Bluetooth models, with the hope that lower prices will help consumers to appreciate AirPlay's advantages.

While Bluetooth has been a more affordable option for consumers, AirPlay has a distinct edge, offering a much longer range with the option of utilizing multiple speakers for a complete home audio experience.

Traditionally, AirPlay speakers have been priced higher than Bluetooth speakers due to the cost of licensing the technology from Apple. It is unclear if Pioneer is eating the additional cost or if Apple has made AirPlay licensing more affordable, but with Pioneer lowering the price of its AirPlay speakers, it is likely that other manufacturers may have to follow suit in order to continue to offer competitive pricing.

Article Link: Pioneer Drops AirPlay Speaker Prices, Now Competitive with Bluetooth Models
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2013, 08:55 PM   #2
840quadra

Great news, however I feel the problem is still the overall cost to entry for companies that want to utilize Airplay, or cable interfaces for iOS devices. I appreciate Apple wanting control, however the cost per unit is going to make Airplay more rare than it could be!
840quadra is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2013, 08:57 PM   #3
brendu
macrumors 68000

Well, looks like I will finally be getting the airplay speakers I have been wanting for awhile but wouldn't spend that much money on! Great news!
brendu is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2013, 08:59 PM   #4
sshambles
macrumors regular

Great news. Much cheaper than SONOS. Looks sleek and easy to use.

Will purchase in the future.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 09:03 PM   #5
onirocdarb
macrumors regular

That would be awesome if they made stereo desktop speakers. Then my desk would be down to one wire!
onirocdarb is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2013, 09:10 PM   #6
iSayuSay
macrumors 68030

Oh .. the good ol' Pioneer. How about go back and make a 70" Kuro plasma with AirDisplay?

I really hate saw the old Kuro went off the grid, and now Panasonic is raising the white flag too. I wish all HDTV is plasma
iSayuSay is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2013, 09:10 PM   #7
OrangeSVTguy
macrumors 601

I think it's cheaper to get an Apple TV and a surround sound system with HDMI input. Better sound
Old Jun 4, 2013, 09:12 PM   #8
commander.data
macrumors 6502a

I guess it's too much to hope that the drop in prices for AirPlay speakers is part of a larger, more aggressive digital living room strategy from Apple to be announced at WWDC including radio, non-"hobby" television push, and other devices, services, and platforms?
commander.data is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2013, 09:26 PM   #9
hofer
macrumors member

I have been quite satisfied with my Phillips Fidelio AirPlay speakers which i managed to find for about $80. Amazon sells them for $104, still a steal.
http://www.amazon.com/Philips-AD7000...s+AD7000W%2F37
hofer is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2013, 09:26 PM   #10
iMikeT
macrumors 68020

I think I'll stick to streaming music through my TV.
iMikeT is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2013, 09:29 PM   #11
AbSoluTc
macrumors 68020

Apple I have to say screwed the pooch when it came to airplay speakers. Not sure if it was them charging too much for licensing or companies not wanting to invest in the technology but it's paltry. I was really stoked for it but nothing ever came of it.

I just bought the sonos play 5 and bridge. Going to give that a go. It's the best solution out there, tried, true and tested. Would love to use apple's airplay but again, they just let it die really.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 09:37 PM   #12
macs4nw
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
.....The company recently dropped the price of its XW-SMA1 speaker from $299 to $149, while the prices of the XW-SMA3 and XW-SMA4 have similarly been cut in half from $399 to $199. (These changes aren't yet reflected on Pioneer's website, where the latter two speakers are still listed at $399.)

Article Link: Pioneer Drops AirPlay Speaker Prices, Now Competitive with Bluetooth Models
Even though I've always liked PIONEER products, that is a huge price drop. Half-price, and they're still making money on them, no doubt. Were we getting gouged before? Or is this all due to lower licensing fees, in which case we were still getting hosed, just by a different company?
Old Jun 4, 2013, 09:43 PM   #13
Mad Mac Maniac
macrumors 68040

It's ridiculous how expensive Airplay stuff has been (and still is). I just bought bluetooth speakers on Amazon for $35 which has terrific reviews. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I haven't hooked mine up yet, but I'm confident it'll suit my needs. But of course, I'm no audiophile.

I'm sure it's not nearly in the same league as these speakers, but are these speakers really 5 times as good? I'm thinking not.

I know I'm only one measley little person, but from where I'm sitting Airplay and Airprint have been pretty much failures. Been out for nearly 3 years now I think.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 09:44 PM   #14
lk400
macrumors 6502

Bluetooth is a bad tech for sound. I have never been able to get good quality sound through bluetooth - I am not an expert, so maybe I am doing something wrong, but I always thought the bandwidth wasnt there to support the full spectrum. This, to me, was always the biggest benefit of airplay.
lk400 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2013, 09:47 PM   #15
Popeye206
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by lk400 View Post
Bluetooth is a bad tech for sound. I have never been able to get good quality sound through bluetooth - I am not an expert, so maybe I am doing something wrong, but I always thought the bandwidth wasnt there to support the full spectrum. This, to me, was always the biggest benefit of airplay.
I have a bluetooth compatible Sound bar and it never seems to work very good... hit or miss and definitely seems lacking. Only good for background music. So, I would agree with you.
Popeye206 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2013, 09:48 PM   #16
Zaqfalcon
macrumors regular

Wireless?

Quote:
Originally Posted by onirocdarb View Post
That would be awesome if they made stereo desktop speakers. Then my desk would be down to one wire!
I believe they still need to be plugged into power.
Zaqfalcon is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2013, 09:49 PM   #17
Mr. Gates
macrumors 68020

Unless I can Air Play my FLAC files I don't care how cheap it is

Old Jun 4, 2013, 10:12 PM   #18
iSayuSay
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Gates View Post
Unless I can Air Play my FLAC files I don't care how cheap it is

Ahh the real Mcintosh
Now that's real audio is all about
iSayuSay is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2013, 10:25 PM   #19
Solomani
macrumors 65816

I've been told by a couple of AirPlay speaker owners (self-proclaimed audiophiles ) that AirPlay has a technical advantage over Bluetooth.... something to do with Bluetooth being "lossy" (loses original data when packaged for transmission) while AirPlay is not. This reminds of the ancient format debates between JPEG (lossy image compression) versus something like PICT or PNG.

Anyone with more technical knowledge care to elaborate?

With myself being quite satisfied with the sound quality of 256kb AAC, I'm no audiophile. So in listening to the same track, will I be able to tell the difference if I listen to an AirPlay output versus a Bluetooth one? (assuming that everything else is equal like the quality and build of the speakers)
Solomani is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2013, 10:26 PM   #20
ctyrider
macrumors 6502

Just picked up an XtremeMac Tango airplay speaker for $49 bucks at Fry's fire sale. That's the price I can live with.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 10:32 PM   #21
delioninsyd
macrumors newbie

Got it

I have been looking at the Sonos play 3 for some time now. This seems to be one of the better alternatives so I went ahead and bought one. We will see if its any good.
delioninsyd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2013, 10:34 PM   #22
Toltepeceno
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by macs4nw View Post
Even though I've always liked PIONEER products, that is a huge price drop. Half-price, and they're still making money on them, no doubt. Were we getting gouged before? Or is this all due to lower licensing fees, in which case we were still getting hosed, just by a different company?
They should sell products at cost like apple, right? You think apple could not cut their prices in half and still make a profit?

People pay a premium for apple stuff and that includes the add on's like airplay, thunderbolt, etc.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 10:39 PM   #23
lk400
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomani View Post
I've been told by a couple of AirPlay speaker owners (self-proclaimed audiophiles ) that AirPlay has a technical advantage over Bluetooth.... something to do with Bluetooth being "lossy" (loses original data when packaged for transmission) while AirPlay is not. This reminds of the ancient format debates between JPEG (lossy image compression) versus something like PICT or PNG.

With myself being quite satisfied with the sound quality of 256kb AAC, I'm no audiophile. So in listening to the same track, will I be able to tell the difference if I listen to an AirPlay output versus a Bluetooth one? (assuming that everything else is equal like the quality and build of the speakers)
Im not sure if Airplay is lossy or lossless (given people would be streaming MP3 through it, its lossy at some stage I guess), but I certainly notice the quality difference of BT in my experience. It sounds like the high and low frequencies are cut off, volume is reduced, and artifacts of compression are introduced (particularly in the high end). I dont understand the tech, and maybe I just have bad equipment, but ive always thought BT for audio is a waste of time.
lk400 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2013, 10:48 PM   #24
toaster64
Banned

Cool.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomani View Post

I'm no audiophile, but I think that Bluetooth is not as strong of a signal as AirPlay. You'll get interference and therefore quality reduction.

Also, don't use JPEG!!! I'm sick of these stupid JPEG images on the web with no transparency and annoying compression. Mostly the lack of transparency.
toaster64 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2013, 10:49 PM   #25
funandblindness
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lk400 View Post
Im not sure if Airplay is lossy or lossless (given people would be streaming MP3 through it, its lossy at some stage I guess), but I certainly notice the quality difference of BT in my experience. It sounds like the high and low frequencies are cut off, volume is reduced, and artifacts of compression are introduced (particularly in the high end). I dont understand the tech, and maybe I just have bad equipment, but ive always thought BT for audio is a waste of time.
The AirTunes part of the AirPlay protocol stack uses UDP for streaming audio and is based on the RTSP network control protocol.[37] The streams are transcoded using the Apple Lossless codec with 44100 Hz and 2 channels encrypted with AES, requiring the receiver to have access to the appropriate private key to decrypt the streams.[38] The stream is buffered for approximately 2 seconds before playback begins, resulting in a small delay before audio is output after starting an AirPlay stream.[39]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AirPlay
funandblindness is offline   3 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion