Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jafingi

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 3, 2009
Denmark
Hey guys!

I'll soon be changing to a rMBP, but my large iTunes Library cannot be stored on the SSD, so I'll need some other alternatives.

I have thought of:

• A 128GB SD Card (pros: Works offline, pretty small, cons: slow and sticks out of the rMBP)
  • A 128GB USB 3.0 pendrive (pros: Works offline, very fast! cons: sticks out a lot)
  • Cloud (pros: more space, not sticking out of the Mac, can probably be used on my iPhone/iPad, cons: Doesn't work offline - depends on a relativily fast network)

I'm leaning towards the cloud solution. I have a 50/50mbit connection in my apartment, where I will be listening to the music 90% of the time. The other 10% would be on the go, where I have LTE on my iPhone 5 that I can share with the Mac (or maybe even listen to on the phone). Everywhere else I go have pretty fast wifi.

So the next question is: Which cloud solution should I choose?

Bitcasa is new, but offers "unlimited" storage for only $99 a year. However, I've heard some bad things about users getting their files corrupted. But that was when they first launched. Don't know if it is any better now?

Alternatively there is Amazon Cloud Drive. But a 200GB plan costs about $200 per year.

Dropbox costs the same as Amazon Cloud Drive (and uses Amazon S3).

Google Drive costs $120/year for 200GB.

The "problem" with Dropbox and Google Drive is that the files will be synced to the hard drive locally. I don't want that. I want it 100% as a cloud drive, where NOTHING (but a little buffer) is stored on my hard drive.

I don't know if any of these cloud hosts will do that?

Also, the SD Card solution would be better economically. Will be cheaper than a cloud solution after the first year. I don't know how much it would stick out of the rMBP? And even though it's only 10MB/s read/write speed, isn't it bearable?

But actually, the SD Card would in theory be faster than my 50mbit connection? Because that only allows for 6.25MB/s speed? So the 10MB/s on the SD would be faster than using the cloud?

What do you guys with big libraries and Airs/rMBP's do?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

iTunes Match is not an option since I live in Denmark. Also, I think iTunes Match needs at least ONE computer to have the library on the drive to sync to Match?

jafingi

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 3, 2009
Denmark
I just noticed you can get high speed SDXC drives with 45MB/s read/write speeds.

So I think that would be the best option for me!

Don't you?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I just noticed you can get high speed SDXC drives with 45MB/s read/write speeds.

So I think that would be the best option for me!

Don't you?
Pretty much any external drive would be fine. I stream music and movies from a regular external HDD with zero issues.

jafingi

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 3, 2009
Denmark
Pretty much any external drive would be fine. I stream music and movies from a regular external HDD with zero issues.

Thanks!

But aarrrgh, that high speed card is about €120. Then it's close to the price of upgrading to 512GB SSD anyways.

I need to sleep on this!

marzer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Colorado
Thanks!

But aarrrgh, that high speed card is about €120. Then it's close to the price of upgrading to 512GB SSD anyways.

I need to sleep on this!

If a 128GB SD card or cloud options are large enough to accommodate your iTune Library, you may as well put the money into bumping the rMBP to a larger internal SSD and store your library on it. It'll be cheaper over time.

Besides, I'm not sure ITunes will run off a cloud based solution, except for the local sync solutions like Dropbox or Google or Skydrive.

As for what I do with a large library, I have a mac mini with external storage that houses a 1TB+ iTunes library (music/movies/TV shows). It shares the library out to the several computers and several Apple TV's on the home network including a MBA. For on-the-go, my iTunes music is available through Google Play, which is kept in sync by my mini server.

Mr Kram

macrumors 68020
Oct 1, 2008
External HDD is the way to go. Just get a pocket drive if you need to be totally mobile.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.