Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jun 5, 2013, 08:47 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Reportedly Begins Filing for 'iWatch' Trademarks

Russian newspaper Izvestia reports [Google translation, via AppleInsider] that Apple has filed for a trademark [Google translation] on the term "iWatch" in Russia, supporting rumors that the company is planning to launch a smart watch as soon as later this year.

The Russian trademark filing, made on June 3 through law firm Baker & McKenzie, claims a priority registration date of December 3, 2012 in Jamaica. Apple and other companies frequently file first in Caribbean countries such as Jamaica and Trinidad & Tobago where records are not easily searchable online, using those priority dates to help secure protection in other countries at later dates.

According to the filing, Apple has applied for protection on the "iWatch" name in two trademark classes: Class 9, which includes computers and peripherals; and Class 14, which includes various types of jewelry such as watches.

Drawing from Apple patent application for a "slap bracelet" video accessory resembling a smart watch
Izvestia reports that Apple faces a bit of competition for the iWatch name in markets around the world, including in the United States where multiple companies have received trademarks on variations of the term in Class 9. Even in Russia, another company's 2011 application for the iWatch trademark in Class 14 was denied due to similarities to an existing "iSwatch" trademark held by Swiss watchmaker Swatch.

While efforts by Apple to protect the "iWatch" name are suggestive of plans to launch such a product, they are by no means definitive. In the lead-up to the iPad launch, we discovered that Apple had been seeking to secure rights to iSlate trademarks and domain names, only to later discover evidence that it was also protecting the iPad name. Both of those efforts were performed with the use of dummy corporations designed to hide Apple's role in securing the names, but it appears that Apple is not resorting to such measures with the iWatch name.

(Thanks to Anastasia Spilnick of PATENTUS for directing us to the actual filing.)

Article Link: Apple Reportedly Begins Filing for 'iWatch' Trademarks
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2013, 08:49 AM   #2
nep61
macrumors 6502

Still waiting on an Apple Television set. The iWatch will probably be released in 4 or 5 years... ho humm
nep61 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2013, 08:50 AM   #3
chainprayer
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to chainprayer
I should trademark the iPatch before they come out with that too
chainprayer is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2013, 08:50 AM   #4
spacehog371
macrumors regular

Have to say... I think Apple may pull something out of the hat on Monday. The WWDC invitations seem to me to hint at a watch. Roman numerals, and the first W is cut off and looks to me like it is meant to look like a watch hand.
spacehog371 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2013, 08:52 AM   #5
k1121j
macrumors regular

Yay

i want one already. Looks cool sounds magical.
k1121j is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2013, 08:53 AM   #6
Thunderhawks
macrumors 68020

iSlap sounds good

Followed by:

iSlapU with a lawsuit and iWatch U pay Samsung!
Old Jun 5, 2013, 08:55 AM   #7
monaarts
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacehog371 View Post
Have to say... I think Apple may pull something out of the hat on Monday. The WWDC invitations seem to me to hint at a watch. Roman numerals, and the first W is cut off and looks to me like it is meant to look like a watch hand.
I didn't even notice the first W cut down a little until you mentioned it...

But either way I feel like Apple is going to do something big now. I think it has been long enough where people are getting bored (and don't have anywhere to spend their money) and that is the perfect time to release something new, something big - whether it is the iWatch, iTV, or something completely unknown.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 08:57 AM   #8
ghsNick
macrumors 65816

And so it begins...
ghsNick is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2013, 08:59 AM   #9
CalebLevArn
macrumors member

I'd be embarrassed to wear any type of watch in public including the iWatch.
CalebLevArn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2013, 08:59 AM   #10
allistera
macrumors member

Quote:
Also the heading: "The Wait Is Almost Over".
Old Jun 5, 2013, 08:59 AM   #11
Nbapapa
macrumors regular

I can't wait for the day I can replace all my clothes with Apple branded clothing
Old Jun 5, 2013, 09:02 AM   #12
Shaun, UK
macrumors 68000

I don't think we'll see it this year. My guess they will unveil it alongside the iPhone 6 at WWDC in 2014. Would seem the sensible thing to do as they'll need to convince developers to write apps for it and explain how apps will work with a larger screen iPhone.

I also think it makes sense to move the iPhone release back to the summer so they are broadly in line with the release dates of their main competitors and so they can release new processors in the iPhone a few months before the iPad.
Shaun, UK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2013, 09:06 AM   #13
monaarts
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebLevArn View Post
Uhhh, why? Are you embarrassed to wear hats, sunglasses, your wedding ring, or clothing in public?
Old Jun 5, 2013, 09:07 AM   #14
D.T.
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by monaarts View Post
Uhhh, why? Are you embarrassed to wear hats, sunglasses, your wedding ring, or clothing in public?
Hahaha, exactly. Embarrassed to wear a watch is definitely the "Silly Post of the Week"
Old Jun 5, 2013, 09:12 AM   #15
spiderman0616
macrumors 65816

Quote:
I agree. I don't know that it will be new hardware necessarily, but I feel like big things are happening next week. I just have this weird feeling.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 09:12 AM   #16
samcraig
macrumors G5

Not terribly interested unless it's really a watch (and nice looking one) first and happens to have some connectivity.

But I can't wait to iSnooze the alarm
samcraig is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2013, 09:13 AM   #17
vmachiel
macrumors 65816

I getting all excited now for next week
Old Jun 5, 2013, 09:14 AM   #18
5aga
macrumors 6502

I seriously hope Apple is devoting their time/effort to fixing iOS and OS X, not wasting it on useless accessories like a watch.

I personally don't see the benefit of using an iWatch over using an iPhone, or any other smartphone.
5aga is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2013, 09:16 AM   #19
CalebLevArn
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by monaarts View Post
Watches just aren't classy anymore.
CalebLevArn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2013, 09:16 AM   #20
AppleMark
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep61 View Post
The iWatch will probably be released in 4 or 5 years... ho humm
I'll take the bet that it will not take as long as that.

Tim cook discussed this at D11 at length, in comparison (and competition) to Google glass, fuel band etc. Maybe they discussed it openly-ish for the first time recently, however this is not something Apple thought about last week. iPad names started cropping up just prior to a release also.

I think a device like an iWatch, or whatever is imminent and no where close to being 5 years away. Anyway, in 5 years time we will have the iRetina control device which will make iWatch obsolete.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 09:16 AM   #21
Dagless
macrumors Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebLevArn View Post
Post of the year right here folks.
Dagless is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2013, 09:17 AM   #22
JGIGS
macrumors regular

Hmmm to me a watch is more about fashion. I don't really understand why I would want a smart watch when I have a smart phone sitting in my pocket that does the same things better and with a bigger screen.

The only benefit would be for working out and it having bluetooth or some type of wireless audio and have storage so I don't have to carry my phone on me. also relaying and tracking heart rate would be handy.

Still probably not worth what I'd have to spend on it I'll just keep using my phone for music when I work out. Its not that heavy.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 09:19 AM   #23
ValSalva
macrumors 68040

Trademarks and patents don't necessarily mean products. These could be protective of their brand in case some other company tries to come out with a watch-like device and Apple has no interest in this space.
ValSalva is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2013, 09:20 AM   #24
D.T.
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcraig View Post
Not terribly interested unless it's really a watch (and nice looking one) first and happens to have some connectivity.
Totally agree on the aesthetics, this is really pushing into the "fashion" area of personal products. I could see a really beautiful design with maybe a stainless outer band (brushed, polished or black), possibly white or black options for the face (like current devices), but people _love_ to customize, so if I were Apple, I'd definitely make sure the design was "friendly" to cases/covers.

Build in mount points, or even make the product out of the box be modular ... heck, I could even see it coming in a box, on one side is the core electronics/face, the other side the bezel/case, band in the front. Apple offers colored (anodized) aluminum bezels/cases, and it opens up a whole 3rd party market.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 09:22 AM   #25
monaarts
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGIGS View Post
Hmmm to me a watch is more about fashion. I don't really understand why I would want a smart watch when I have a smart phone sitting in my pocket that does the same things better and with a bigger screen.
The only benefit would be for working out and it having bluetooth or some type of wireless audio and have storage so I don't have to carry my phone on me. also relaying and tracking heart rate would be handy.

Still probably not worth what I'd have to spend on it I'll just keep using my phone for music when I work out. Its not that heavy.
A few years ago people would have said "I don't understand why I would want a smart phone when I have a laptop sitting on my desk that does the same things better and with a bigger screen."

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion