Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Freida

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 22, 2010
Hello guys,

could you please help me on what to do as Im lost here ;(
Ive installed 10.8.4 and when I got back to the installation I noticed that I had my computer off. So I wasnt sure if the installation was completed or not.
Now the computer keeps restarting.
Ive resetted SMC and PRAM but it didnt help and the computer still keeps restarting.

Is my only option to reinstall the system from recovery disk? I have my time machine back up in another country so that is not an option.
If i do reinstall the system, will it keep the settings?
I do have another disc here with time machine backup but its about 3 months old. Is there a way just to take the system out of it whilst keeping everything untouched and my stuff will remain there? (applications etc)

Or any other suggestions, please? Thank you

Freida

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 22, 2010
there is a safe mode in os x? damn, didn't know that. Let me try :)

dastinger

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2012
Try holding Option on boot until you see the partitions. Choose the OS X partition. See it if helps.

Freida

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 22, 2010
ok, safe boot worked fine. im on my desktop now. What is the best way to proceed from now on, please?

JohnDoe98

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2009
ok, safe boot worked fine. im on my desktop now. What is the best way to proceed from now on, please?

I'd try downloading and installing the combo update. Before doing that, just to be sure, run disk utility and repair the disk and permissions on the disk, then proceed by trying to re-install the update, using the combo one this time instead of the delta. It should be available on the Apple website. Let us know if it works.

Freida

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 22, 2010
alright, in the end i didn't need to download the combo as after the safe mode the computer restarted ok. Thank you all for the help, much appreciated and saved me a headache :)

Yahooligan

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2011
Illinois
alright, in the end i didn't need to download the combo as after the safe mode the computer restarted ok. Thank you all for the help, much appreciated and saved me a headache :)

Glad everything is back to normal!

Sounds like maybe there was a corrupt kext cache causing OS X to crash/panic and booting into safe mode forced it to re-scan the kexts and rebuild the cache. kexts are kernel extensions, basically drivers. If a kext cache exists but it's corrupt then weird things can happen, including crashes and resets.

Freida

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 22, 2010
Glad everything is back to normal!

Sounds like maybe there was a corrupt kext cache causing OS X to crash/panic and booting into safe mode forced it to re-scan the kexts and rebuild the cache. kexts are kernel extensions, basically drivers. If a kext cache exists but it's corrupt then weird things can happen, including crashes and resets.
ah, thank you for clarification. I was glad it was fairly simple to fix. Was a bit worried there for a moment :)))

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.