Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Jun 5, 2013, 01:17 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Releases Aperture 3.4.5 with Import and Memory Card Bug Fixes

Apple today released Aperture 3.4.5, bringing fixes for several issues related to the handling of memory card and camera import and handling, as well as general stability improvements.
Quote:
What's New in Version 3.4.5

- Addresses an issue that could cause Aperture to quit unexpectedly when deleting items from a camera or memory card after import
- Memory cards are now ejected correctly when using the Delete Items option after import
- Includes stability improvements
Aperture 3.4.5 is a 523.15 MB download and requires OS X 10.7.5 or 10.8.2 or later, along with Aperture 3. Apple has also made the updated version available in the Mac App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Apple Releases Aperture 3.4.5 with Import and Memory Card Bug Fixes
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2013, 01:21 PM   #2
sulpfiction
macrumors 68020

Is aperture basically beefed up iPhoto?
sulpfiction is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2013, 01:22 PM   #3
kissmo
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulpfiction View Post
I don't know. I hope it includes some surprise update-ability for a newer version which will be available after the WWDC....
kissmo is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2013, 01:33 PM   #4
kirky29
macrumors 65816

Send a message via Yahoo to kirky29 Send a message via Skype™ to kirky29
Over 500MB for a few bug fixes... :-/
kirky29 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2013, 01:35 PM   #5
CmdrLaForge
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to CmdrLaForge Send a message via Skype™ to CmdrLaForge
Quote:
Basically - no. It is more a professional app whereas iPhoto is a toy.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 01:36 PM   #6
Digital Dude
macrumors regular

Quote:
Basically, yes and then some. If the darn thing' wasn't so slow I would come back as an active customer. It is very easy to use the basic functions but Lightroom continues to be on top. Honestly, I would like Aperture to my fav photo app but Apple just doesn't provide enough support.
Digital Dude is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2013, 01:43 PM   #7
Jacquesvw
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirky29 View Post
Over 500MB for a few bug fixes... :-/
I thought the same, must be some pretty big bugs,
Jacquesvw is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2013, 01:43 PM   #8
CmdrLaForge
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to CmdrLaForge Send a message via Skype™ to CmdrLaForge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Dude View Post
Basically, yes and then some. If the darn thing' wasn't so slow I would come back as an active customer. It is very easy to use the basic functions but Lightroom continues to be on top. Honestly, I would like Aperture to my fav photo app but Apple just doesn't provide enough support.
Lightroom? Be ready for a $50/month subscription plan coming to you with the next major release. And if you stop to pay? Sorry, no more access to your photos. I guess you could pull them out of the file structure.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 01:48 PM   #9
Northgrove
macrumors 6502a

I hope Aperture will get a major update soon. It started feeling left behind in terms of attractive features with Lightroom 4, and even more so with LR 5 and its new editing tools.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 01:49 PM   #10
Bending Pixels
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdrLaForge View Post
Lightroom? Be ready for a $50/month subscription plan coming to you with the next major release. And if you stop to pay? Sorry, no more access to your photos. I guess you could pull them out of the file structure.
For clarification, Adobe has advised that LR5 will remain available as a separate purchase outside of the Creative Cloud, but also advised that CC members will get added features that retail owners won't. Also, Adobe was silent as to future releases of LR
Bending Pixels is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2013, 01:49 PM   #11
AppleInLVX
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
One of my photographer collegues assures me that Adobe has said they will not do this with Lightroom. I myself use Aperture, so I couldn't care less what they do. Although secretly I wish they would.. then I can stop listening to him brag about how much better Lightroom is all the time. Stupid Apple update non-schedule.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 01:53 PM   #12
BobZap
macrumors newbie

Is anyone else not able to export and sync to flickr since yahoo overhauled it a few weeks ago? i was hoping the next aperture update would fix that.
BobZap is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2013, 02:01 PM   #13
nilk
macrumors 6502

Quote:
It's a much better photo app that happens to compatible with existing iPhoto libraries. iPhoto became unusably slow once my collection grew past 100GB. Aperture handled that same collection without breaking a sweat. I switched to Aperture mainly because I started shooting with a DSLR, but it's so much better than iPhoto I should have switched a long time ago.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 02:02 PM   #14
JarScott
macrumors 65816

I've used Lightroom for quite a while for all my photo editing needs but would anyone recommend Aperture over Lightroom? Advantages/disadvantages?
JarScott is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2013, 02:15 PM   #15
tgara
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobZap View Post
Is anyone else not able to export and sync to flickr since yahoo overhauled it a few weeks ago? i was hoping the next aperture update would fix that.
It works for me.... I was uploading images from Aperture to Flickr just last weekend without any problems. Perhaps you should check your settings with Flickr in Aperture.... something might have gotten glitched when Yahoo updated Flickr.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 02:27 PM   #16
mtfbwy
macrumors member

Quote:
Lightroom continues on as a standalone product. I don't trust Apple enough to use Aperture considering what they've done in the past to the pro users (Final Cut Pro).
mtfbwy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2013, 02:38 PM   #17
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3

Quote:
Quote:
Basically - no. It is more a professional app whereas iPhoto is a toy.
I don't think it's fair to iPhoto to call it a toy. Such connotation suggests it has no practical use at all.

I also think it speaks too highly of Aperture to call it a pro app. Once a upon a time it was, but Lightroom has eclipsed it to the point most pros have switched over. Aperture now is at best "pro-sumer".

But let's get to brass tacks. iPhoto is primarily a photo library with basic editing capabilities, including most RAW files. Aperture is primarily a RAW photo editor with photo library capabilities. They are distinct from one another even if some aspects overlap.

Even the most entry level DSLR shoots RAW. Aperture isn't that sophisticated or expensive that any joe off the street couldn't figure it out in 2 seconds.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 03:14 PM   #18
fivedots
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chupa Chupa View Post
I don't think it's fair to iPhoto to call it a toy. Such connotation suggests it has no practical use at all.

I also think it speaks too highly of Aperture to call it a pro app. Once a upon a time it was, but Lightroom has eclipsed it to the point most pros have switched over. Aperture now is at best "pro-sumer".

But let's get to brass tacks. iPhoto is primarily a photo library with basic editing capabilities, including most RAW files. Aperture is primarily a RAW photo editor with photo library capabilities. They are distinct from one another even if some aspects overlap.

Even the most entry level DSLR shoots RAW. Aperture isn't that sophisticated or expensive that any joe off the street couldn't figure it out in 2 seconds.
While I agree that Lightroom > Aperture at this point, I would argue that both applications are prosumer by nature and not due to any lag in feature parity. RAW processing and photography is gradually becoming more and more prosumer each day. Unlike video production, the ceiling as far as features and complexity go plateaus much sooner. Hence, the same application is appropriate for both a professional and prosumer.
fivedots is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2013, 03:17 PM   #19
Mr.damien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chupa Chupa View Post

Sadly even if I am paying for Lightroom (CC user), I just can't use it. The interface is like it's made in flash, I just can't pass that. Feels like an App of 90s...
  0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2013, 05:25 PM   #20
chfilm
macrumors 6502a

hm I love Aperture for the general workflow and have all my photos in there, but since I bought a Canon 6D this year, it became near - useless and I had to start using lightroom, because the raw processor in Aperture RUINS the pictures out of the 6d, while in LR they look perfect. The denoise algorythm in Aperture is just so bad in comparison. It's really frustrating, I wish they would update that instead of forcing me to start two separate libraries..
chfilm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2013, 05:46 PM   #21
canadianpj
macrumors regular

Quote:
No, it is professional tool.
canadianpj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2013, 07:02 PM   #22
Michael Goff
macrumors 68040

Quote:
I love the smell of FUD in the morning.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 07:07 PM   #23
cflem
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kissmo View Post
I don't know. I hope it includes some surprise update-ability for a newer version which will be available after the WWDC....

Yes - that's called the "App Store."
cflem is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2013, 07:54 PM   #24
Barabas
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianpj View Post
No, it is professional tool.
I guess it could be. However I would say most professionals use Capture One these days. Better RAW processing and ability to shoot tethered.
Barabas is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2013, 08:20 PM   #25
sososowhat
macrumors 6502

Send a message via Yahoo to sososowhat
Quote:
Originally Posted by nilk View Post
It's a much better photo app that happens to compatible with existing iPhoto libraries. iPhoto became unusably slow once my collection grew past 100GB. Aperture handled that same collection without breaking a sweat. I switched to Aperture mainly because I started shooting with a DSLR, but it's so much better than iPhoto I should have switched a long time ago.
My iPhoto Library is about 400GB and performance is perfectly acceptable on my 2010 iMac. Looking forward to getting a 1TB SSD & it should scream. Aperture performance for me is slower than iPhoto, though I've only recently started using it & don't know all the ins & outs.
sososowhat is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion