Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jun 5, 2013, 04:08 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Pricing Leak Suggests MacBook Air Release at WWDC, Retina MacBook Pro Update Shipping Later?

9to5Mac has received information from a source that suggests the MacBook Air updates that are expected at WWDC will ship soon after the keynote, perhaps with updated AirPort Extreme and Time Capsule wireless base stations that support a new, faster wireless standard.

These leaks line up with a report from KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo who said in April that the MacBook Air update expected at WWDC would ship very soon after the event, while the Retina MacBook Pro would ship later due to production bottlenecks on the advanced displays.

Quote:
Today, we have received specific pricing for the aforementioned SKUs, and the price-points correspond to Apple's current pricing for the 11-inch and 13-inch MacBook Air models. We have yet to receive pricing information that points to the imminent availability of new MacBook Pros (as some had hoped), but perhaps the next refresh to Apple's Pro portables will arrive in the coming months. Supply constraints to the Retina MacBook Pro line seems to infer that...
The site also says it received pricing for three new accessories that could be new AirPort Extreme and Time Capsule models. If accurate, these would likely support the new 802.11ac-wireless standard.

As we wrote in our WWDC rumor roundup earlier today, the notebook updates are likely to be the hardware highlight of WWDC, with new MacBook Air and Retina MacBook Pro models announced.

Expected upgrades include a shift to Haswell processors, a possible slimmer design for the 13-inch Retina MacBook Pro, a new full HD (2.0-megapixel) FaceTime camera on the Retina models, and a dual-microphone system on the MacBook Air.

Article Link: Pricing Leak Suggests MacBook Air Release at WWDC, Retina MacBook Pro Update Shipping Later?
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2013, 04:10 PM   #2
Patriot24
macrumors 68020

If true, nice little updates.

Keep driving forward.

P.S. Inevitably people will not be happy, but incremental improvement is very important. Retina on an Air is probably a year or two away at the earliest. Haswell is a large jump.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 04:10 PM   #3
cassiar
macrumors newbie

So much Mac news today! I can barely keep up!
Old Jun 5, 2013, 04:10 PM   #4
JDee
macrumors 6502a

Wow. A dual mic on the MacBook Air. That's incredible!
Old Jun 5, 2013, 04:12 PM   #5
DavidBlack
macrumors 6502

I hope the new 11" Macbook Air gets around 6:30 hours with the new processors.
DavidBlack is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2013, 04:13 PM   #6
Mr. RPG
macrumors 6502a

Why do people think the rMBP will get a slimmer design? That would make it at or near (or even slimmer) than the thickness of the MBA.. which it's whole point was to be a ultra thin and cheap laptop for Mac. It would make no sense right now to do that unless Apple wanted to unify the MacBook line in to ONE MacBook.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 04:13 PM   #7
MagicWok
macrumors 6502a

Not much rumour love for the 15" rMBP... Hope it gets a nice update, waiting at work to order a batch!
MagicWok is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2013, 04:14 PM   #8
Klae17
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. RPG View Post
Why do people think the rMBP will get a slimmer design? That would make it at or near (or even slimmer) than the thickness of the MBA.. which it's whole point was to be a ultra thin and cheap laptop for Mac. It would make no sense right now to do that unless Apple wanted to unify the MacBook line in to ONE MacBook.
What prize do we get if you're wrong? I want candy.
Klae17 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2013, 04:15 PM   #9
pscl
macrumors 6502

nooo i need my Haswell rMBP
pscl is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2013, 04:16 PM   #10
Mr. RPG
macrumors 6502a

If people actually read the articles it was referring to, it said the rMBP may not even come out at WWDC this year but later in the year.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 04:17 PM   #11
B...
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. RPG View Post
If the 13" does get slimmer it would most likely just be to .71in. to be even with the 15" model.
B... is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2013, 04:17 PM   #12
Laucian Nailor
macrumors member

Must admit I've been waiting to order a rMBP 15 for three months now (my first Mac) so will feel a little disappointed if no Haswell one is signposted next week.
Laucian Nailor is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2013, 04:17 PM   #13
mac.ross
macrumors member

Was really looking forward to a 15" rMBP.

I went through 2 broken 27" iMacs and was very disappointed, I was hoping that the availability of a new rMBP would make my summer a bit better but looks like I'm possibly stuck with an underpowered laptop for a bit longer.
mac.ross is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2013, 04:21 PM   #14
Krauser
macrumors regular

Honestly looking to Haswell to make the 13" a more formidable machine. HD4000 isn't bad, but the improvement with Haswell should really make it a more legitimate player with regards to pixel pushing power and graphics without the dedicated card of the 15".

Lets hope storage gets a bump too, because 128GB standard isn't really feasible nowadays, especially not on a machine of this caliber. I'd like to see 256GB standard.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 04:21 PM   #15
pubwvj
macrumors 68000

I've got half a dozen machines I would love to upgrade to MacBook Pro but I do not want the Retina version. I need and want the old I/O ports. The higher resolution screen has no appeal. The battery life, that's nice.

Like many small businesses and educators I also need Classic and PPC support. If Apple brings those back they'll find a lot of people upgrading older machines to the latest MacBook Pros. There is a lot of older hardware that needs connecting with our machines and a tremendous amount of older software that needs Classic/PPC.

A truly superb machine and MacOS would fully support running all iOS apps on the Mac, including iBooks, and support running all MacOS applications and data under iOS. I need to use my tools and data no matter what hardware I'm using. Even a lowly iPodTouch (love them, have six) has enough power to emulate the older Macs and Classic.

Time for Apple to offer backward compatibility to move into the future.
http://SugarMtnFarm.com
pubwvj is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2013, 04:22 PM   #16
Agent-P
macrumors 68020

I'm just holding out for the updated 13" MBA. I don't mind if it doesn't have retina, but I would like a small bump in screen resolution.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 04:25 PM   #17
Chuck-Norris
Banned

how much faster or better is the new wifi ac thing?
Chuck-Norris is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2013, 04:29 PM   #18
Krauser
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pubwvj View Post
I've got half a dozen machines I would love to upgrade to MacBook Pro but I do not want the Retina version. I need and want the old I/O ports. The higher resolution screen has no appeal. The battery life, that's nice.

Like many small businesses and educators I also need Classic and PPC support. If Apple brings those back they'll find a lot of people upgrading older machines to the latest MacBook Pros. There is a lot of older hardware that needs connecting with our machines and a tremendous amount of older software that needs Classic/PPC.

A truly superb machine and MacOS would fully support running all iOS apps on the Mac, including iBooks, and support running all MacOS applications and data under iOS. I need to use my tools and data no matter what hardware I'm using. Even a lowly iPodTouch (love them, have six) has enough power to emulate the older Macs and Classic.

Time for Apple to offer backward compatibility to move into the future.
While I agree with you (a reason my current MacBook still runs happily on Snow Leopard, besides the fact that it's my favorite version of OS X), it's just something that's not going to happen. It's pretty clear that Apple has taken the stance that anything you needed that's legacy is available alternatively in another product that runs on the current platforms and supports the newer tech.

As far as hardware goes, the new I/O doesn't have the variety of the old I/O, but it's certainly capable of supporting it. I know dongles and such are really annoying, but the current and future retina lines will continue to support legacy I/O like FireWire, ethernet, etc. through the utilization of dongles for those who need them. Yeah it's a hassle, but for 95% of people, it's a non-issue and for the other 5% of people who rely on such support, the means exist (dongles and peripherals) to support those formats. The alternative is a thicker machine to accommodate the I/O, and we all know how Apple wouldn't let that one happen.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 04:31 PM   #19
Patriot24
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck-Norris View Post
how much faster or better is the new wifi ac thing?
n = ~300Mbps
ac = ~1Gbps (1,000Mbps+)
Old Jun 5, 2013, 04:32 PM   #20
ValSalva
macrumors 68040

Oh well... it looks like the wait for the new 13" rMBP will be a little longer. From this news it seems like it won't even be available for preorder right after the WWDC keynote.
ValSalva is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2013, 04:34 PM   #21
pubwvj
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krauser View Post
While I agree with you (a reason my current MacBook still runs happily on Snow Leopard, besides the fact that it's my favorite version of OS X), it's just something that's not going to happen.
Aye, but if we don't mention it to them then it will never happen. Let them know periodically that there is a market. They're money driven.

Until they offer the ability to run legacy software they won't get my upgrade dollars and I know a lot of other people who are doing the same thing. I just keep fixing these older machines for them. Franky lives on...
http://SugarMtnFarm.com
pubwvj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2013, 04:43 PM   #22
iPoopeh
macrumors regular

Gonna stay optimistic about the rMBP 15'' and hope that it updates next week~
Old Jun 5, 2013, 04:50 PM   #23
enfanteribl
macrumors member

This looks a worthwhile bump, so time to upgrade my 4 yr old MB Pro.

I think that they could increase the screen size a bit, given the vast bezel - say to 14" and 12"
enfanteribl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2013, 04:55 PM   #24
JayCee842
macrumors 6502a

Can't wait! Even though their won't be a Retina Macbook Air
JayCee842 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2013, 04:56 PM   #25
AppleMark
macrumors 6502a

If there has been a pricing leak, what are the prices?

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion