Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jun 6, 2013, 02:52 AM   #1
tssguy123
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Should I return my Air and wait?

I haven't been paying much attention to the Mac world lately, as I broke my MacBook Pro months ago and.. well.. I've been busy. I came into $1,700 and decided I'd get back into the Apple Ecosystem, so I ran down to Bestbuy to see if they did the Student Discount in-store. It turns out they had a sale, so their pricing was cheaper than Apple's discount... I bought a 13" base-line Air for $1,129.99 plus tax... However, I was just browsing here and I hear talk of a refresh in the coming weeks. When (as close to exactly as we know) is said refresh supposed to happen? I can return the MacBook within 15 days of purchase.. I bought it the 29th of May... so that's 8 days ago. I have a beast of a desktop and I have put maybe a couple of hours of use into my Air since I purchased it, so I'm considering returning it and buying a new one when the refresh happens. I don't forsee myself using a laptop much soon since college doesn't start till fall.. Just wondering what everyone's opinions were.
tssguy123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 02:55 AM   #2
simsaladimbamba
macrumors Core
 
simsaladimbamba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: located
According to several rumours and news, a refresh might happen next week and an announcement will happen on June 10th.

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/06/05/...-and-new-macs/
__________________
living on the moderately profane edge
simsaladimbamba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 03:12 AM   #3
calvol
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Definitely return it, don't want to pay that much for old HW!
calvol is online now   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 05:30 AM   #4
TC25
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by tssguy123 View Post
Just wondering what everyone's opinions were.
Don't return it.
TC25 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 05:57 AM   #5
tssguy123
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by TC25 View Post
Don't return it.
Why do you say that?
tssguy123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 06:25 AM   #6
GrandPhrase
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by tssguy123 View Post
Why do you say that?
Sarcasm lol
GrandPhrase is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 06:27 AM   #7
simsaladimbamba
macrumors Core
 
simsaladimbamba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: located
Quote:
Originally Posted by tssguy123 View Post
Why do you say that?
As contradiction to the previous post. You have to make up your own mind with the information given to you.
__________________
living on the moderately profane edge
simsaladimbamba is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 06:37 AM   #8
TC25
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by simsaladimbamba View Post
As contradiction to the previous post. You have to make up your own mind with the information given to you.
TC25 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 07:00 AM   #9
designs216
macrumors 65816
 
designs216's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Rearranging deck chairs
Yes, take it back. Wait a little longer for the refresh and if there are no upgrades that matter to you, get the outgoing model at a deeper discount.
designs216 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 07:30 AM   #10
EstrlM3
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
If you return wont you have to pay 20% restocking fee?
EstrlM3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 07:35 AM   #11
Jesla
In Time-Out
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Tennessee USA
Do what you want...

I just bought an 11" yesterday as a work backup. Not really anything coming that I needed. So far I'm just as happy with it as I am with my new rMBP13.

I'm not a fanboy that's gotta have the newest and greatest. It was on sale too.
Jesla is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 07:36 AM   #12
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem
 
GoCubsGo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
I think you'll get shafted with their restocking fee. Lesson learned but I wouldn't want to lose 20% on something I just bought. If you don't care then go for it.
__________________
Because I'm a smartass.
GoCubsGo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 08:15 AM   #13
JMountainDew
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
I don't believe BestBuy charges a restocking fee within 14 days. A couple years ago I returned an opened net book within a week for a full refund.
JMountainDew is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 08:16 AM   #14
Boyd01
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: New Jersey Pine Barrens
I'm not sure if Best Buy has a restocking fee. Don't see it mentioned on their website: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Help-Top...at260800050015

A few years ago I got a Windows Netbook that I wasn't satisfied with. I was enrolled in their "Silver Rewards" program at the time which gives you a longer period to return items. I took it back after over a month and got a full refund. They were not so happy about it, but it really wasn't a problem.
Boyd01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 08:31 AM   #15
oneMadRssn
macrumors 6502a
 
oneMadRssn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Boston, MA
Usually I'm the person who says buy today what you need today, and don't worry about the possibility of forthcoming updated hardware.

However, you only have to wait until Monday morning to know whether or not to return. I think next Thursday is your last day to return.

So sit tight, read the blogs recapping what Apple (and Microsoft and Sony at E3) announced on Monday evening with a hot cup of relaxing tea, and decide whether or not it's worth it to you to pay full price for the updated hardware (if there is any at all that interests you).

Then, you can mull it over all day Tuesday, and return your MBA on Wednesday because of course everyone wants the latest and greatest :-P
__________________
13" Macbook Air (2011) 1.8ghz i7 256GB 4GB | iPhone 5 (Sprint) 16GB
oneMadRssn is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 08:36 AM   #16
DisplacedMic
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by tssguy123 View Post
I haven't been paying much attention to the Mac world lately, as I broke my MacBook Pro months ago and.. well.. I've been busy. I came into $1,700 and decided I'd get back into the Apple Ecosystem, so I ran down to Bestbuy to see if they did the Student Discount in-store. It turns out they had a sale, so their pricing was cheaper than Apple's discount... I bought a 13" base-line Air for $1,129.99 plus tax... However, I was just browsing here and I hear talk of a refresh in the coming weeks. When (as close to exactly as we know) is said refresh supposed to happen? I can return the MacBook within 15 days of purchase.. I bought it the 29th of May... so that's 8 days ago. I have a beast of a desktop and I have put maybe a couple of hours of use into my Air since I purchased it, so I'm considering returning it and buying a new one when the refresh happens. I don't forsee myself using a laptop much soon since college doesn't start till fall.. Just wondering what everyone's opinions were.

why not wait and see what comes out? if you bought it on the 29th of may you have some time
DisplacedMic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 08:47 AM   #17
David58117
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
*There is no restocking fee*

I returned my 11" air to Best Buy, bought it a few days ago and returned yesterday.

I just plainly told them there's a refresh coming out next week and I'd rather wait and get that.

Zero problems, no questions asked.

Best Buy receives a lot of hate due to younger sales staff, but they're one of the best places to buy and return (if needed). Just stay within the warranty window and you'll be fine.
David58117 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 09:05 AM   #18
CristobalHuet
macrumors 65816
 
CristobalHuet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Montreal
YES, no question!
__________________
13" MacBook Air 2.13Ghz Core 2 Duo/4GB RAM/256GB SSD (2010) + 24" Apple LED Cinema Display
32GB iPhone 5, Black
64GB Wi-Fi iPad mini, Black
CristobalHuet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 09:21 AM   #19
jjmcpherson
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2013
I'm in a similar situation with the OP. However, I bought a new Air from Apple store 4 days ago. The Apple guy told me to go back after Jun 10 and before June 16 to swap a new one. No fee, no question asked. He also promised to help me transfer all the data and apps to the new machine. He also said if I like to keep 2012 Air, I can ask for a refund, since the 2012 Air will drop the price. But, nah. I want to play with 2 new machines in a span of 10 days
jjmcpherson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 10:35 AM   #20
n1tut
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Old Deer, Scotland
After a burglary, I have just received a new MBA 13" from the Insurance Company, would have liked to have waited until after the 10th, but had to take it now.

Is it likely that my Apple Store would swap it for the 2013 even though it was not bought directly from the Store?

Cheers

tut
n1tut is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 10:57 AM   #21
B...
macrumors 68000
 
B...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by n1tut View Post
After a burglary, I have just received a new MBA 13" from the Insurance Company, would have liked to have waited until after the 10th, but had to take it now.

Is it likely that my Apple Store would swap it for the 2013 even though it was not bought directly from the Store?

Cheers

tut
Did you originally get it from the Apple Store? They might but probably not.
B... is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 11:14 AM   #22
notjustjay
macrumors 603
 
notjustjay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Canada, eh?
Depends on when you NEED to have a working computer in your hands.

There's the announcement expected on June 10. Not 100% certain, but highly likely.

When they announce it, they might say "available today" or they might say "available next month" -- we really don't know.

If you can wait, at least hold out till June 10, and then make your decision based on what they announce.

At the very least, when they announce the new product, the old ones tend to get discounted and go on clearance. So even if you elect not to buy a shiny new 2013 model, you can start shopping for better deals on the older ones.

If you NEED a computer in the meantime, then you'll have to figure out what works best.
__________________
.
notjustjay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 02:33 PM   #23
tssguy123
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by EstrlM3 View Post
If you return wont you have to pay 20% restocking fee?
They say *may* be subject to a restocking fee. Funny story, but I've returned around $2,000 in different items in the past two weeks. My dad bought me a Windows laptop for graduation, but it was terribly balanced spec wise... so I took it back. No restocking fee. I swapped it out for a microsoft surface ($999 w/o tax) and a type cover ($140 w/ tax).. didn't like it, so I took it back a few days later. Bought the Mac. Will probably be doing the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesla View Post
Do what you want...

I just bought an 11" yesterday as a work backup. Not really anything coming that I needed. So far I'm just as happy with it as I am with my new rMBP13.

I'm not a fanboy that's gotta have the newest and greatest. It was on sale too.
I'm not a fanboy either, but I've never really had any tech this soon after its launch. I feel that I may as well do it, since with the student discount I'll probably only pay a price difference of at most $50...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica. View Post
I think you'll get shafted with their restocking fee. Lesson learned but I wouldn't want to lose 20% on something I just bought. If you don't care then go for it.
Don't think there is one.. I'm a rewards zone blah whatever-the-****-it's-called member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMountainDew View Post
I don't believe BestBuy charges a restocking fee within 14 days. A couple years ago I returned an opened net book within a week for a full refund.
You're right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd01 View Post
I'm not sure if Best Buy has a restocking fee. Don't see it mentioned on their website: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Help-Top...at260800050015

A few years ago I got a Windows Netbook that I wasn't satisfied with. I was enrolled in their "Silver Rewards" program at the time which gives you a longer period to return items. I took it back after over a month and got a full refund. They were not so happy about it, but it really wasn't a problem.
I completely forgot that Rewards Zone Premium Silver extended the return date.. awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneMadRssn View Post
Usually I'm the person who says buy today what you need today, and don't worry about the possibility of forthcoming updated hardware.

However, you only have to wait until Monday morning to know whether or not to return. I think next Thursday is your last day to return.

So sit tight, read the blogs recapping what Apple (and Microsoft and Sony at E3) announced on Monday evening with a hot cup of relaxing tea, and decide whether or not it's worth it to you to pay full price for the updated hardware (if there is any at all that interests you).

Then, you can mull it over all day Tuesday, and return your MBA on Wednesday because of course everyone wants the latest and greatest :-P
Good points. I don't really need anything right now, as I've got a desktop that I always use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David58117 View Post
*There is no restocking fee*

I returned my 11" air to Best Buy, bought it a few days ago and returned yesterday.

I just plainly told them there's a refresh coming out next week and I'd rather wait and get that.

Zero problems, no questions asked.

Best Buy receives a lot of hate due to younger sales staff, but they're one of the best places to buy and return (if needed). Just stay within the warranty window and you'll be fine.
I'm not surprised about that... don't see why the staff would care (especially since they're younger). Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by notjustjay View Post
Depends on when you NEED to have a working computer in your hands.

There's the announcement expected on June 10. Not 100% certain, but highly likely.

When they announce it, they might say "available today" or they might say "available next month" -- we really don't know.

If you can wait, at least hold out till June 10, and then make your decision based on what they announce.

At the very least, when they announce the new product, the old ones tend to get discounted and go on clearance. So even if you elect not to buy a shiny new 2013 model, you can start shopping for better deals on the older ones.

If you NEED a computer in the meantime, then you'll have to figure out what works best.
As I mentioned, I don't need anything till August/September.



Thanks for all of the food for thought, everyone! Didn't expect so many replies.
tssguy123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:07 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC