Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Old Jun 6, 2013, 07:31 AM   #1
MicHD
macrumors newbie

Exclamation Finder eats my SSD space! Please, help!

Hello
What is going on: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/..._ssd_space.mov

I'm using my MacBook Pro Retina Mid 2012. 60GB free... and then all of a sudden Finder starts eating SSD free space so it's just melting away to Zero bytes...

I didn't find the resolve here, so please help me understand what is wrong and how can I cure my hungry Finder.

P.S. At first I thought it could be some Adobe cache files growing, but there's only one folder for all adobe media cache and it stays same size. Anyway, my only way so far is to relaunch Finder and restart system to get back my free space.
MicHD is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 07:37 AM   #2
justperry
macrumors 603

Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHD View Post
Hello
What is going on: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/..._ssd_space.mov

I'm using my MacBook Pro Retina Mid 2012. 60GB free... and then all of a sudden Finder starts eating SSD free space so it's just melting away to Zero bytes...

I didn't find the resolve here, so please help me understand what is wrong and how can I cure my hungry Finder.

P.S. At first I thought it could be some Adobe cache files growing, but there's only one folder for all adobe media cache and it stays same size. Anyway, my only way so far is to relaunch Finder and restart system to get back my free space.
Switch off TimeMachine LocalBackup.
But, by doing so you loose anything that has changed after your last backup.

Edit: Open terminal and enter the following

sudo tmutil disablelocal
Hit Enter.
Enter password.

For usage type :

man tmutil
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 07:39 AM   #3
MicHD
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by justperry View Post
Switch off TimeMachine LocalBackup.
But, by doing so you loose anything that has changed after your last backup.
But I didn't even set up TM. It's off all the time.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 07:45 AM   #4
justperry
macrumors 603

Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Quote:
But I didn't even set up TM. It's off all the time.
Ah, most of the time it was the above.

Open Activity Monitor, see how many pageouts you have and memory, also look at a runaway process, if you don't know how post a screenshot here.(Command-Shift-4, hit spacebar then click on window)

Edit: See SS removed

Last edited by justperry; Jun 6, 2013 at 09:14 AM.
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 07:52 AM   #5
benwiggy
macrumors 68020

Quote:
all of a sudden Finder starts eating SSD free space so it's just melting away to Zero bytes...
I'm not sure I understand "Finder is eating free space". You mean Finder is reporting no free space?
You say you relaunch Finder and restart. Does relaunching the Finder on its own fix the problem, or do you just need to restart?

If you aren't using Time Machine, make sure you have another backup strategy in place, or you WILL lose your data.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 05:31 AM   #6
MicHD
macrumors newbie

I found out what starts the process of counting down free space on my drive. First, I connect an external hard drive (usb 3.0, seagate, ntfs) with some files copied from windows pc. Then I click on a folder with a bunch of files I need to work with. But instead: finder shows no files, starts using cpu, and count down free space on ssd internal drive (not the usb connected one!). All is how it is on my video in first post.
Any ideas?
Maybe it's a kind of virus?

Also: windows pc says that that folder is corrupt. and it can't delete it. says error 0x80070091

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion